Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Do you have the name Hadassa-hard for non jews?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 10:29 am
Hi! I need some help. Is hadassa a name that child would shorten because it’s too long? Also, the spelling, is it hard for non jews to spell? I definitely don’t like hadas.

sub

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 10:30 am
Dassy.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 10:34 am
Lol, I’m a Hadas 😉

I think Hadassa(h) doesn’t have any difficult phonemes like “tz” or “ch”, but it may take a quick pronunciation clarification to some?

But for me it’s usually just a quick “huh-DOSS” to correct someone after they pronounce my name “HAD-***”. It doesn’t bother me, and I think anyone reasonable wouldn’t take offense at the correction.

Eta: lol for censoring. “HAD-diss” or “HAD-a55” are both pronunciations I’ve been called.

I’ve also had my name misspelled as Hades, which I find absolutely hilarious. 😈

amother
Dandelion

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 10:41 am
A family member is Hadassah. She only had a problem once, at Build a Bear. You have to input your name and they wouldn't accept a name with the letters A-S-S in a row. LOL

Now she lives in Israel, where people sometimes assume it's Hadas.

It's a lovely name, especially for this time of year.

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 10:43 am
I just asked a non Jew to say it. He said it perfectly. And I asked him to spell it . He said h-a-d-a-s-s-a. He also said that he doesn’t think it’s a jewish name😂

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 10:44 am
My daughter is Hadassa. She had some health issues first few years of life so we've spent time with many secular providers. I don't recall ever having a hard time with her name.

PS Bh she's doing great now!

amother
Hydrangea

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 10:45 am
amother [ DarkYellow ] wrote:
Lol, I’m a Hadas 😉

I think Hadassa(h) doesn’t have any difficult phonemes like “tz” or “ch”, but it may take a quick pronunciation clarification to some?

But for me it’s usually just a quick “huh-DOSS” to correct someone after they pronounce my name “HAD-***”. It doesn’t bother me, and I think anyone reasonable wouldn’t take offense at the correction.

Eta: lol for censoring. “HAD-diss” or “HAD-a55” are both pronunciations I’ve been called.

I’ve also had my name misspelled as Hades, which I find absolutely hilarious. 😈

I’ve had mine misspelled as Hadar. Also you forgot Hade-iss.

If someone reads my name like at a doctors office they often got it wrong. But when I introduced myself no one had trouble pronouncing it.

I assume Hadassah is similar.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 10:46 am
Hadassah women is a Jewish (but not necessarily frum) women's organization. I remember when I used to work in an office near Princeton, the Hadassah women had holiday gift wrapping at the local mall. It didn't seem to be a problem for the non-Jews (or maybe they were Jews, too) lined up for their services.

greenhelm

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 10:48 am
I wouldn’t worry about someone misspelling or mispronouncing- unless it’s something like Jane, people will always find creative interpretations (even for something like Jane, now that I think of it…)

Zehava

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 10:48 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi! I need some help. Is hadassa a name that child would shorten because it’s too long? Also, the spelling, is it hard for non jews to spell? I definitely don’t like hadas.

I would do Dassy maybe. I try to keep my kids names short, easy to spell, and easy to pronounce in any language.

amother
Molasses

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 10:52 am
Easy name for everyone

amother
Oatmeal

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 10:54 am
Dassy is harder than Hadassah. Hadassah is a family name and it's not hard at all.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 11:09 am
Zehava wrote:
I would do Dassy maybe. I try to keep my kids names short, easy to spell, and easy to pronounce in any language.

Which ones are those?

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 11:20 am
My name is Hadassah.

Most non-Jews can pronounce it because they heard of the Hadassah organization.

But they pronounce it Ha-dah-sah with the A like in cAn.

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 11:23 am
My daughter is Hadassah. Never had a problem with anyone saying it.

jd1212

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 11:36 am
It’s a beautiful name and don’t think anyone would have issues. As a small consideration if you’ll ever make aliyah, it is popular more with the older generation of women and much more common for ladies in their 60s. If that’s not in your plans, then absolutely no concern and plenty of adorable American/anglo baby Hadassahs running around. Not to discourage you in any way, but my husband vetoed for this reason. Bshaa tova!!

amother
NeonOrange

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 11:49 am
I'm Hadassah and I love my name!
Very easy for non Jews to pronounce, and I get a lot of compliments from them like that's such a pretty sounding name etc...

amother
NeonOrange

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 11:49 am
jd1212 wrote:
It’s a beautiful name and don’t think anyone would have issues. As a small consideration if you’ll ever make aliyah, it is popular more with the older generation of women and much more common for ladies in their 60s. If that’s not in your plans, then absolutely no concern and plenty of adorable American/anglo baby Hadassahs running around. Not to discourage you in any way, but my husband vetoed for this reason. Bshaa tova!!

I hope I'm not considered too old yet at 34 Wink

I don't find this the case where I live. Not US and not Israel Smile

amother
NeonOrange

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 11:54 am
sub wrote:
Dassy.

I'm glad mine wasn't shortened to dassy, I don't like it. My parents shortened it to dassa. And my close friends which I think is cute.

My dh prefers Hadassah so he's never called me dassa. It's a nice, classy, proper sounding name in my opinion.

amother
Burntblack

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 12:19 pm
jd1212 wrote:

Depends on the circle in Israel. My oleh family members have young children named Hadassah. Both born in Israel and chosen because they liked the name. They both are in chareidi circles.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names