Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
What made you check for prism?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 11:57 am
Wondering what it helps for. My son has ADD, but has no issue reading - he reads thick books. Would prism help for ADD?

seeker

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 1:35 pm
If a child has trouble paying attention, staying on task, and focusing because they have ADHD, prism glasses will not help.
If a child has trouble paying attention, staying on task, and focusing because their eyes aren't working together efficiently, prism glasses could help.
The only way to know is to go to an optometrist who is known for being good at this but doesn't prescribe it for everyone who walks in the door. Then you use the glasses and do the eye exercises religiously, and see if you notice a difference in the symptoms.

My kid who uses prism glasses is a great reader who devours books of all sizes at all times at great speed. But she used to complain of headaches and tiredness often. That seems to have improved. In addition to prism glasses, she has daily exercises that seem to be really helping - the prism is supposed to relieve some of the strain on the eyes until the problem is resolved through the exercises.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 1:45 pm
seeker wrote:
If a child has trouble paying attention, staying on task, and focusing because they have ADHD, prism glasses will not help.
If a child has trouble paying attention, staying on task, and focusing because their eyes aren't working together efficiently, prism glasses could help.
The only way to know is to go to an optometrist who is known for being good at this but doesn't prescribe it for everyone who walks in the door. Then you use the glasses and do the eye exercises religiously, and see if you notice a difference in the symptoms.

My kid who uses prism glasses is a great reader who devours books of all sizes at all times at great speed. But she used to complain of headaches and tiredness often. That seems to have improved. In addition to prism glasses, she has daily exercises that seem to be really helping - the prism is supposed to relieve some of the strain on the eyes until the problem is resolved through the exercises.

Thank you for the detailed response. He has trouble staying on task..that's about it. No headaches and tiredness. The Dr I want to see doesn't take insurance so I don't want it to be a waste if there's nothing to suspect for prism.

seeker

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 2:43 pm
There are optometrists who do prisms and vision therapy who take many insurances.

seeker

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 2:44 pm
I'm not aware of insurances covering the glasses themselves. Trying to remember how much we paid. But my optometrist is in network, in terms of co-pays we see them about every three months to monitor the exercises which we do at home.

amother
Lightpink

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 2:48 pm
My son reads a lot as well, what made us go is that his rebbe told he doesn’t like to learn from within the gemara. He’s a bright kid and would just pick up the information from listening. He got prism glasses and now he Bh has no problem. Dr didn’t accept insurance either.

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 2:56 pm
My son who was diagnosed with ADHD was later prescribed prism glasses because he was complaining of double vision. We also take him to vision therapy. The vision therapist is a called a “behavioral ophthalmologist” and said she doesn’t think he has ADHD; rather, his double vision was making it difficult to focus. He is also a vociferous reader.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 5:31 pm
amother [ Lightpink ] wrote:
My son reads a lot as well, what made us go is that his rebbe told he doesn’t like to learn from within the gemara. He’s a bright kid and would just pick up the information from listening. He got prism glasses and now he Bh has no problem. Dr didn’t accept insurance either.

So my son's rebbe told us that he mostly doesn't follow from inside and when davening too so he wanders off with his thoughts. I don't know if it's cause he doesn't have the patience or it's just cause he's a bright kid and picks up information fast.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics