Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Name yael! Please help!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 4:55 pm
Hi- not Soo familiar with the story of Yael. So, for example, I think if Batsheva- not so great that she was a harlot. Leah- she cried all the time- sad, because she didn’t want to marry eisav. What is there to know about Yael?!

singleagain

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 5:12 pm
She was a bad@ss. She killed Sisera with a tent steak after making him sleepy with wine and cheese

amother
Daylily

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 5:14 pm
Batsheva wasn't a harlot. Maybe you are thinking of Rachav (and its a machlokes, she may have been an innkeeper).

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 5:21 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi- not Soo familiar with the story of Yael. So, for example, I think if Batsheva- not so great that she was a harlot. Leah- she cried all the time- sad, because she didn’t want to marry eisav. What is there to know about Yael?!

A) Batsheva wasn't a harlot.
B) Leah, through her crying that was directed to the right Source, managed to change her entire course of life. It wasn't an easy life. But she made the most of it, and became the mother of meluchah and kehunah, and half the shevatim. I really admire her.
C) Yael was a pretty strong and amazing woman.

amother
Banana

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 5:38 pm
Why are you looking for a “mum” in everyone? No human being is without blemish. The fact that certain names have a long and respected history among Jews should suffice, Where you need to ask is if you’re considering an obscure character whose name is not much used—which still doesn’t mean that there was anything wrong with that character.

No less a personage than Devorah haNeviah, a prophet and judge in her own right, sang “tevorach minashim Yael” among other complimentary remarks. Yael is considered the equivalent of the four Imahot, btw.

And Where do you come off calling bat Sheva a harlot? She was a married woman who was summoned to the king’s palace. Not Andy Cuomo, not Donald Trump, but KING DAVID. He could have had her killed. Are you 200% positive you’d have slit your own throat or thrown yourself off your roof?

Are you aware that there are mefarshim who assert that David and Bathsheba did not sin at all? This flies in the face of the text, but if you believe in Chazal you have to believe they got this from somewhere and didn’t just make it up in a frantic effort at spin doctoring.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 1:01 pm
They say that to kill cisero, Yael first seduced him to get his defenses down and that he "died between her legs". She was a wonderful heroine. No one would make fun of the name because it is so common by secular, modern orthodox and haredi alike.

Also, I believe it means baby goat.

amother
Currant

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 1:31 pm
Just be aware that non Jewish people are going to call her "Yell", "Jail", or other such mangling of the name.

amother
Daisy

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 4:23 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
They say that to kill cisero, Yael first seduced him to get his defenses down and that he "died between her legs". She was a wonderful heroine. No one would make fun of the name because it is so common by secular, modern orthodox and haredi alike.

Also, I believe it means baby goat.

It means ibex - mountain goat. It's a great name in my opinion...my eldest daughter's name. 😊

etky

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 4:43 pm
amother [ Currant ] wrote:
Just be aware that non Jewish people are going to call her "Yell", "Jail", or other such mangling of the name.

It can also be spelled Ya'el to avoid that.

EstyEF

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 8:04 pm
I love the name Yael. She killed an enemy general. Other posters definitely did a better job of telling the story!
Also associate the name with the Yael I know, who is a very sweet little girl.

amother
Bellflower

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 2:00 am
singleagain wrote:
She was a bad@ss. She killed Sisera with a tent steak after making him sleepy with wine and cheese

Was it really wine and cheese, or is that just what they teach us in 5th grade.

Like Vashti didn’t want to show her tail or had pimples.

And Dina got married to Schem.

amother
Mintcream

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 3:30 am
amother [ Bellflower ] wrote:
Was it really wine and cheese, or is that just what they teach us in 5th grade.

Like Vashti didn’t want to show her tail or had pimples.

And Dina got married to Schem.

I have a Yael, but yes, it was food AND s--x. I think it's Rashi who said they did it 7(!!!!) times
Yael does mean a mountain goat, and that is what we got with our Yael. climbed furniture before she could really walk, etc

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 9:14 am
I know a Yael who created a really awesome website.

amother
Molasses

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 9:30 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I know a Yael who created a really awesome website.

Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names