Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
ISO double stroller

blueberry6

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 9:11 pm
I know there are a bunch of threads about this already, but I figured I'd add mine and my own criteria to the mix.
I'm expecting my second in a few weeks iyH, and my older daughter will be around 18 months.
So here's what I'm looking for:

* preferably single-to-double, though that's not a must. What is a must, though, is it needs to be compact enough to fit in my car's trunk, which is easier said than done - my previous one didn't. If it's a side-by-side, I also must be able to get out of the driveway with it - the entrance to my apartment is in a backyard and there are usually cars parked in the driveway that I need to squeeze past.
* another big plus is if it can hold my Graco car seat, with or without adapters. I don't really want to invest in another car seat if I don't need to... I mean I always can use my Doona as a car seat, but I need a stroller that can hold my baby from the newborn stage and on, I don't really care that much how. So, either a car/infant seat that clicks in, or a bassinet that clicks in, or even if the stroller seat itself is conducive to newborns... I don't know.
* most importantly: it MUST be affordable. Like, not in the $800-$900 range. Now, I don't know what's considered middle-of-the-line, but while I'm not looking for something cheapo, I also cannot afford, nor do I wish to spend a small fortune on a baby carriage. I also don't want to get a "great price" on a so-called "double stroller", only to find out that I need to spend extra for another seat, and for adapters, and for every other tchatchke that the stroller NEEDS but just doesn't come with.
*oh, also, bonus points if it looks nice and not like it's from the 80's Wink

So! Does such a thing exist?
Thank you all in advance!

amother
Bisque

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 9:21 pm
The city mini gt is my favorite stroller in the world. If I needed a double, that's what I would get.
It's around 600 and the car seat adapter is 30. That's all you should need to buy.
Its narrow, fits through a doorway, so hopefully will fit past the cats in the driveway. It folds really flat, definitely fits in trunk.
What I love about side by side is that they're so much easier to push. Front-backs, I feel like I'm pushing a reluctant bus.
Here's a link
https://m.albeebaby.com/baby-j......html
(I never posted a link before, hope it works)

amother
Stonewash

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 9:41 pm
I used a regular city mini double for many years it was a breeze in and out of the car. Not sure if I can use a car seat with it though.

lucky14

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 9:49 pm
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
The city mini gt is my favorite stroller in the world. If I needed a double, that's what I would get.
It's around 600 and the car seat adapter is 30. That's all you should need to buy.
Its narrow, fits through a doorway, so hopefully will fit past the cats in the driveway. It folds really flat, definitely fits in trunk.
What I love about side by side is that they're so much easier to push. Front-backs, I feel like I'm pushing a reluctant bus.
Here's a link
https://m.albeebaby.com/baby-j......html
(I never posted a link before, hope it works)

Are the expensive front/back strollers also as hard to push? (the $1000+ ones)

And thank you OP I have the same question and very similar "requirements"

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 7:03 am
Realistically, the perfect double is a unicorn. You just have to prioritize the features you want and get the best compromise. Would you consider a second hand stroller? Because that then opens up the more expensive strollers but at a more reasonable price. What was the stroller you had before that you didn't like to understand a bit more of your needs?
I would also suggest you measure your doorways to see the exact measurement of what you need. I did that and it ruled out almost all double strollers as it was a very narrow doorway.
Since your older dd is only 18 months, she will need to be in a stroller for a while longer, which makes me think you need one with a proper seat. I personally don't like most of the single-to-double strollers on the market as I feel that they don't do either job that great, they're much bigger and heavier than a single, and almost impossible when in double mode. Most are the equivalent of pushing a long and heavy bus. They're also annoying to try and fold as you have to remove the seats etc.
I would suggest a side by side just because I think it's the most comfortable for both children and easiest to push. I find the strollers where one child is under the other, isn't normally comfortable for the child, they can't see and often the ability to lean the seat back is compromised.
Are you mainly out and about in your car, or do you do a lot of walking?
To the poster who suggested the city mini gt double, it's a great stroller, folds and pushes well, but it is one of the wider side by side doubles. The basic city mini is slightly narrower. All of the baby jogger strollers should be compatible with your graco with the correct adapter. I would suggest this would be a good option. The baby jogger city select is a single to double if that is what you specifically want but you would need to get it used if it would come into your budget.
The city tour double is a smaller version of the city mini but is more of a city or car stroller and I'm not sure it would fit with your car seat.
The mountain buggy duet is narrow, but it is heavy and bulky so wouldn't be a good option for putting into your trunk. It does push well and is narrow if that is a need.
I will also add all of the side by side strollers are lie flat which means you can put a newborn straight on the seat without needing any extras.

To summarize, if you tell me a little more about what you do/don't want, I'm happy to see if I can guide you further, but I suggest you looking at the baby jogger strollers to begin with. (in case you can't tell, I did a lot of research before buying my double and I love trying to help people find their perfect stroller)

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 7:05 am
lucky14 wrote:
Are the expensive front/back strollers also as hard to push? (the $1000+ ones)

And thank you OP I have the same question and very similar "requirements"

Yes because they're heavy, bulky and usually very loooong which makes them harder to steer and go up and down curbs. The weight distribution isn't usually good as you have it unevenly distributed.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 8:58 am
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
Realistically, the perfect double is a unicorn. You just have to prioritize the features you want and get the best compromise. Would you consider a second hand stroller? Because that then opens up the more expensive strollers but at a more reasonable price. What was the stroller you had before that you didn't like to understand a bit more of your needs?
I would also suggest you measure your doorways to see the exact measurement of what you need. I did that and it ruled out almost all double strollers as it was a very narrow doorway.
Since your older dd is only 18 months, she will need to be in a stroller for a while longer, which makes me think you need one with a proper seat. I personally don't like most of the single-to-double strollers on the market as I feel that they don't do either job that great, they're much bigger and heavier than a single, and almost impossible when in double mode. Most are the equivalent of pushing a long and heavy bus. They're also annoying to try and fold as you have to remove the seats etc.
I would suggest a side by side just because I think it's the most comfortable for both children and easiest to push. I find the strollers where one child is under the other, isn't normally comfortable for the child, they can't see and often the ability to lean the seat back is compromised.
Are you mainly out and about in your car, or do you do a lot of walking?
To the poster who suggested the city mini gt double, it's a great stroller, folds and pushes well, but it is one of the wider side by side doubles. The basic city mini is slightly narrower. All of the baby jogger strollers should be compatible with your graco with the correct adapter. I would suggest this would be a good option. The baby jogger city select is a single to double if that is what you specifically want but you would need to get it used if it would come into your budget.
The city tour double is a smaller version of the city mini but is more of a city or car stroller and I'm not sure it would fit with your car seat.
The mountain buggy duet is narrow, but it is heavy and bulky so wouldn't be a good option for putting into your trunk. It does push well and is narrow if that is a need.
I will also add all of the side by side strollers are lie flat which means you can put a newborn straight on the seat without needing any extras.

To summarize, if you tell me a little more about what you do/don't want, I'm happy to see if I can guide you further, but I suggest you looking at the baby jogger strollers to begin with. (in case you can't tell, I did a lot of research before buying my double and I love trying to help people find their perfect stroller)

Not op, but can I piggy back for advice?
I have a city mini double but don't love it. I want something that folds smaller/ is easier to lift in and out of my car. It needs to lie almost flat for newborn(s). Any suggestions?

frummom7

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 9:11 am
I have the baby monsters double and I love it. It is very narrow, strong and looks pretty too. Highly recommend.

mdogzz

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 9:30 am
How about getting a mockingbird stroller? It's not expensive and it's super slim bc the seats are inline with each othe.

amother
Holly

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 9:34 am
I have this one and enjoyed it. it folds smallish for a double stroller, looks nice, can be converted to a single.

https://www.albeebaby.com/baby.....w_wcB

it can get hard to maneuver once you're pushing 2 toddlers but by then my older one was mostly walking.

I would sell it, in great condition, if anyone is interested in a second had, better priced double stroller. I'm in Monsey.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 3:23 pm
amother [ Hydrangea ] wrote:
Not op, but can I piggy back for advice?
I have a city mini double but don't love it. I want something that folds smaller/ is easier to lift in and out of my car. It needs to lie almost flat for newborn(s). Any suggestions?

tbh not sure what side by side might fold smaller than the city mini double, it's pretty flat. The city tour (baby jogger's smaller version of the city mini) is probably slightly smaller. Or the Mountain Buggy nano duo. Neither of those were around when I bought mine but I have liked the look of them. I think the city tour looks better than the nano.
There are umbrella double strollers that will fold smaller, but they aren't as nice to push imo. You can look at the uppababy g-link double for instance.
How often are you really needing a double? If you have a toddler and newborn, you might be able to do an double in-line stroller. Something like the phil and teds are almost like a single. (I personally don't think it's good for a child to be underneath as they can't see much, but if it isn't all the time, it should be okay)
Once my toddler was a bit older, I switched to a buggyboard with seat attached to my single, which worked well.
Are you in the US? Some of the recommendations I would have aren't available there as I'm in the UK. We seem to have a lot more options then I see in the US, there's a lot of midrange decent strollers.

geemum

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 3:27 pm
Would you consider second hand?

Bugaboo donkey

amother
Hydrangea

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 3:31 pm
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
tbh not sure what side by side might fold smaller than the city mini double, it's pretty flat. The city tour (baby jogger's smaller version of the city mini) is probably slightly smaller. Or the Mountain Buggy nano duo. Neither of those were around when I bought mine but I have liked the look of them. I think the city tour looks better than the nano.
There are umbrella double strollers that will fold smaller, but they aren't as nice to push imo. You can look at the uppababy g-link double for instance.
How often are you really needing a double? If you have a toddler and newborn, you might be able to do an double in-line stroller. Something like the phil and teds are almost like a single. (I personally don't think it's good for a child to be underneath as they can't see much, but if it isn't all the time, it should be okay)
Once my toddler was a bit older, I switched to a buggyboard with seat attached to my single, which worked well.
Are you in the US? Some of the recommendations I would have aren't available there as I'm in the UK. We seem to have a lot more options then I see in the US, there's a lot of midrange decent strollers.

I am really looking for an umbrella double I guess. Our daily walk to school is fine with the city mini, but we travel a lot and it takes up a lot of space. Also need something for 2 babies for the babysitter (we share her)

blueberry6

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 2:17 pm
amother [ Holly ] wrote:
I have this one and enjoyed it. it folds smallish for a double stroller, looks nice, can be converted to a single.

https://www.albeebaby.com/baby.....w_wcB

it can get hard to maneuver once you're pushing 2 toddlers but by then my older one was mostly walking.

I would sell it, in great condition, if anyone is interested in a second had, better priced double stroller. I'm in Monsey.

I might be interested, actually. How can we get in touch?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics