Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Feeding Therapists- My 18 month old won't eat, what to do?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 8:09 pm
Title says it all, what do I do? She only eats fruit, barely. Only likes milk and formula, juice.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 8:11 pm
Is it possibly a tongue tie?

amother
NeonPurple

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 8:20 pm
Have you tried dropping the bottles? If there are no medical issues, most children will start eating if they are hungry. If they are filled up with formula, there's no need for them to try new foods.

SYA

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 8:23 pm
What city and state?

Is the child gaining weight? Making the range of sounds?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 8:24 pm
amother [ Poinsettia ] wrote:
Is it possibly a tongue tie?

Never thought of that, who could check that?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 8:25 pm
amother [ NeonPurple ] wrote:
Have you tried dropping the bottles? If there are no medical issues, most children will start eating if they are hungry. If they are filled up with formula, there's no need for them to try new foods.

I'm scared of dropping since it's the only thing she takes. A bit of background, she used to be very interested in our food and then she stopped.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 8:26 pm
SYA wrote:
What city and state?

Is the child gaining weight? Making the range of sounds?

No, not gaining and lost a bit of weight. She speaks a variety of words. Brooklyn, NY.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 8:26 pm
Have you taken your baby to see a pediatrician? Her doctor should be aware of things like that.

Last edited by FranticFrummie on Sat, Sep 18 2021, 8:30 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother
OP

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 8:27 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Have you taken your baby to see a pediatrician? Her doctor should be aware of things like that.

He mentioned she lost weight and advised on what foods to eat, but she doesn't want anything, and when she eats it's only very little and fruit, doesn't take protein or anything more substantial. Sad

amother
Clematis

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 8:27 pm
Is she eating different textures? At around the same age my daughter only wanted softer foods. She was in intense feeding therapy and we weren’t seeing that much progress. Turns out, her tonsils were touching each other and no foods of tougher textures could get past! Tonsil surgery was a game changer in our case…

thegiver

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 8:28 pm
My friend had this issue. There's a book called it's not about the broccoli. In it she says keep offering, role model the eating by everyone sitting around the table and eating together , offer tiny portions pea size drops, make sure not to make it a control issue by commenting and focusing on it. Protect the hunger by not offering a bottle for an hour before the meal. And of course daaven and cry to Hashem

amother
Poinsettia

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 8:30 pm
If she used to be more interested, maybe its a food allergy that’s bothering her

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 8:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He mentioned she lost weight and advised on what foods to eat, but she doesn't want anything, and when she eats it's only very little and fruit, doesn't take protein or anything more substantial. Sad

I just thought of something. Check to see if the molars are coming in. Sometimes they all come in at once, and they HURT! The poor thing could be starving, but in too much pain to chew on anything.

Try giving soft, mashed up foods, and things like yogurt. She may be happy to eat if she doesn't have to risk hurting her gums.

If all goes well, once the teeth have popped through, she'll be eating you out of house and home in no time. Very Happy

amother
OP

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 8:33 pm
She rejects soft foods, only wants to feed herself and once in a blue moon allows us to feed her with a spoon! Really only fruit l and the amount she eats is like half of a fruit cup.
Anyone know of any good feeding Therapists in Brooklyn, preferably around Flatbush and Midwood?

amother
Maple

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 8:34 pm
I would have the doctor check for strep

amother
OP

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 8:34 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I just thought of something. Check to see if the molars are coming in. Sometimes they all come in at once, and they HURT! The poor thing could be starving, but in too much pain to chew on anything.

Try giving soft, mashed up foods, and things like yogurt. She may be happy to eat if she doesn't have to risk hurting her gums.

If all goes well, once the teeth have popped through, she'll be eating you out of house and home in no time. Very Happy

Molars are coming in! Maybe it's that? I think she's hungry like she will see food and say mmm but then she'll throw the food on the floor!

amother
OP

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 8:38 pm
amother [ Maple ] wrote:
I would have the doctor check for strep

Good idea

SYA

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 8:45 pm
Please check for tongue tie. My child was diagnosed by an ENT at 18 months. The pediatrician did not see it.
It affected what the child ate, like textures and weight gain too. We used Dr Scott Rickert at NYU.

A great feeding therapist is Alonna Bondar.
She is the top. I know many who were so happy with her.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 8:57 pm
SYA wrote:
Please check for tongue tie. My child was diagnosed by an ENT at 18 months. The pediatrician did not see it.
It affected what the child ate, like textures and weight gain too. We used Dr Scott Rickert at NYU.

A great feeding therapist is Alonna Bondar.
She is the top. I know many who were so happy with her.

Thank you! I'll look into them, this is very helpful. Visually by what I saw online, she shouldn't have a tongue tie but who knows.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 9:01 pm
FYI, my son had his tonsils and adenoids removed due to picky eating and I didn’t see much of a change. I’m wondering if it’s possible the ENT didn’t pick up on a tongue tie?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics