Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Standing Help
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 10:17 am
DS is almost 6 and still only knows how to go sitting. If I ask him if he wants to try standing, he tries but unable to. Is this normal? What can I do to teach him?

amother
Mocha

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 10:31 am
That's the tattys department...

amother
Bisque

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 10:39 am
Put those aiming stickers in the toilet and teach him to hold his part aiming on the stickers. Check to see if he can reach the toilet properly, if not, have him use a stool.

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 10:40 am
amother [ Mocha ] wrote:

Not OP but following because I need help to teach my 3 year old.

OP asked for advice and this is so not helpful.

#1) not everyone on this site had a husband..
#2) even if they do, not everyone has a husband who will put in the work, or even give advice. (Personally, DH sits 🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️)

amother
Moccasin

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 10:56 am
amother [ Mocha ] wrote:

Totally. If there’s no dad in the picture gd forbid, an uncle, a grandfather, but a male

miami85

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 10:59 am
Yea, my 3 year old boy didn't want to stand and I enlisted my bigger boys to help. (also at home our toilets are higher up so he doesn't reach standing up so it took a lot longer) Might help if a male can take him to a public bathroom with a urinal and he'll see what happens there.

amother
Ginger

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 11:07 am
Have him lean- holding on to the back of the toilet. Show him where his bladder is and have him tap a few times. This completely relaxes the muscles so it can flow easily.

When he does sit and pee, does he need to push his aiver down? If so, the opening might not be large enough or it may be slightly off which makes standing harder.

As far as needing another male, STRONGLY disagree. If a 6yo feels more comfortable with a male then w a female, that's a problem. Unless you are literally unsure of how it works to stand and pee.

amother
Steelblue

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 11:33 am
I just went through this with my first boy. He's 3.5 years old. I toilet trained him sitting down and taught him to hold his p3nis down so he doesn't spray everywhere. He went to camp and discovered that boys pish standing up so he insisted on doing so at home. We had some mishaps until he got the hang of it, but now he's a pro. I told DH that it's his department to teach our son aiming techniques and how to keep his tzitzis clear of the toilet. I don't exactly have any experience with that. LOL

As far as I can tell now, DS raises the toilet seat and leans forward so he doesn't dribble down on himself. He holds his p3nis to aim right into the toilet. If the toilet isn't low enough then he stands on a stool to reach more easily. Now that he pishes standing up it's much easier to send him to the bathroom by himself at home (he still needs help with #2) and it is much easier to take him to a public bathroom.

Hope this helps!

amother
Junglegreen

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 11:54 am
Gross warning, but I always started with my younger kids by having them stand near the bathtub (or on the side of the tub) and make in the tub. It got them used to the idea without the trouble of aiming. I would run the shower for a minute afterwards to rinse things out.

Once they seemed to know what was going on, I encouraged them to aim for a spot in the tub, then graduate to the toilet.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 12:21 pm
OP here. I am looking for advice on helping him be able to pee. (I'll deal with the aiming next). I am not sure if he is just scared or doesn't know how to release while standing. Thanks

amother
Junglegreen

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 12:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
OP here. I am looking for advice on helping him be able to pee. (I'll deal with the aiming next). I am not sure if he is just scared or doesn't know how to release while standing. Thanks

The tub is IMHO the easiest place to start. It's probably a little scary to know that your pee should be in the toilet but you already started making and it's going all over the place and you can't stop it. Once they've gone in the tub a few times they get the idea of the trajectory of their pee and it's less of a feeling of being out of control.

imasinger

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 12:49 pm
It he can do it sitting, he can adapt to standing easily.

Like others have said, put him on a stool, and have him hold the raised toilet seat.

You can have him just practice the position even if nothing comes out the first X times.

That's probably the system you used to train him while sitting.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 3:18 pm
imasinger wrote:
It he can do it sitting, he can adapt to standing easily.

Like others have said, put him on a stool, and have him hold the raised toilet seat.

You can have him just practice the position even if nothing comes out the first X times.

That's probably the system you used to train him while sitting.

Thanks reaching is not the problem. He tried a lot of times and just says it doesn't come out.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 10:48 am
If it's not coming out, then it's probably nerves. He can practice in a warm shower when no one is watching him.

I never understood the importance of teaching boys to go standing up when they are so young. They'll figure it out sooner or later. I mean, aside from going camping, what's the point in the first place? Sitting in a stall is much more civilized.

In the meantime, enjoy your relatively clean bathroom, because once they start spraying everywhere you'll be scrubbing with bleach 3x a day. Confused

amother
OP

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 10:48 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
If it's not coming out, then it's probably nerves. He can practice in a warm shower when no one is watching him.

I never understood the importance of teaching boys to go standing up when they are so young. They'll figure it out sooner or later. I mean, aside from going camping, what's the point in the first place? Sitting in a stall is much more civilized.

In the meantime, enjoy your relatively clean bathroom, because once they start spraying everywhere you'll be scrubbing with bleach 3x a day. Confused

Thanks. I hope it is just nerves. I was getting a little nervous because he tried a bunch of times and just says it doesn't come out. I dont mind if he sits I just want to make sure he is able to go standing.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 1:08 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

They don’t have to take off their underwear and pants all the way when standing

In public bathrooms it’s a lot easier if they stand.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 1:12 am
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
They don’t have to take off their underwear and pants all the way when standing

In public bathrooms it’s a lot easier if they stand.

Women do this our entire lives. I've never felt that it was any kind of problem. (I can pee in the woods, too!)

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 1:16 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Women do this our entire lives. I've never felt that it was any kind of problem. (I can pee in the woods, too!)

No

Women’s pee goes down

Little boys if they are wearing pants they will shpritz straight ahead. Look out!

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 1:21 am
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
No

Women’s pee goes down

Little boys if they are wearing pants they will shpritz straight ahead. Look out!

Little boys shpritz all over the place standing up, too. At least when sitting, you can have him point it down. When he's pretending like he has a fire hose and half the bathroom is going up in flames... 🔥 LOL

One of my pet peeves is going into a women's public bathroom, and finding pee all over the toilet seat. If you have to bring your little boy with you, at least put the seat up! (and bring some antiseptic wipes with you as well.)

nicole81

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 1:52 am
For the person who asked about training a 3 year old, I got this for my youngest. He's also 3 and loves sitting, but he knows how to stand, too, and does so when necessary.

https://www.amazon.com/Trainin.....Z643/
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training