Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
How to pack dishes?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 11:36 am
Please! Moving very soon, and it's my biggest concern. How do you pack dishes or glassware in a way that it won't break (despite being labeled fragile)?

Amarante

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 1:18 pm
I went to a moving supply store and got special stuff to pack dishes and other fragile items.

They sell "envelopes" of a foam like material in various sizes. I also fill any empty interior spaces with crushed paper so that theoretically the hollow object doesn't have empty space inside. I also "line" the interior of boxes so that nothing fragile is actually against the box.

They also sell boxes which are specifically meant to pack dishes - e.g. they have compartments inside.

If there is something that is rare and fragile, I would probably make every effort to not have it moved but to bring it over myself but obviously this is only possible for local moves.

Also check in terms of insurance and what is covered. If something is chipped or broken in transit, standard insurance only covers the weight which might not cover actual value. Also you would want to have photos of objects to prove they weren't broken when packed. I took photos of everything I packed with my iPhone as I was packing up.

You should also discuss policy with movers because they might not cover breakage for anything they haven't packed.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 1:20 pm
Thanks for your response. What is a moving supply store? What's the name of the item you bought to pack?

Amarante

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 1:25 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for your response. What is a moving supply store? What's the name of the item you bought to pack?

I looked up moving supplies/box supplies and just went to the closest one. They were well stocked with everything I needed. There are stores that sell boxes for moving as well as all kinds of moving supplies.

Generally the personnel are very helpful.

It is amazing the variety of boxes they sell. Moving supplies aren't cheap. I was lucky that a friend had moved and gave me a lot of boxes but even still I was at the store a lot buying additional supplies like rolls of the white paper to wrap stuff.

I don't know exactly what the dish envelopes are called. They had a few racks of them when I went into the store. They are good for storing dishes you don't use also because they keep the dust off and also prevent the bottom of one dish from scraping the dish which happens if you stack without a liner between.

amother
Rainbow

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 1:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Please! Moving very soon, and it's my biggest concern. How do you pack dishes or glassware in a way that it won't break (despite being labeled fragile)?
where are you located? There’s a lady in Lakewood that does this as a chessed. She’s great!

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 1:51 pm
Wrap in thick paper not bubble wrap.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 2:13 pm
amother [ Rainbow ] wrote:
where are you located? There’s a lady in Lakewood that does this as a chessed. She’s great!

Brooklyn Sad

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 2:13 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
Wrap in thick paper not bubble wrap.

Why? What kind of paper?

amother
Hosta

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 2:14 pm
If your budget allows, have the movers pack your breakables for you. They will do the job better and faster than you will, because they do it all the time.

If that's not going to work for you, then definitely follow the wise advice above and go to a packaging supply store. Also, line the boxes of dishes with towels.

Amarante

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 2:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Why? What kind of paper?

Moving supply stores sell rolls of white paper to wrap things. I used a combination of stuff to wrap.

I did use bubble wrap for some oddly shaped tchotchkes.

If you go to a moving supply store, they will advise you on what is best for everything.

The only item I didn’t purchase were the large wardrobe boxes for hanging clothing which moving companies will supply because you can hang the clothing immediately and they just take back the boxes at the end of the move.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating