Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
My boys are such sissies
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 11:38 am
Ages 7 and 4. Took them to a park and they don’t want to do anything, too scared to climb, they’d rather just sit and eat our snacks and watch the other kids.

Argh

banana123

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 11:39 am
Nothing wrong with that, if that's what makes them happy.

hodeez

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 11:41 am
Keep taking them they'll get more comfortable over time

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 11:48 am
You sound really judgmental. Maybe they're just shy or introverted, and there's really nothing wrong with that.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 11:49 am
That's great. Sound like good boys.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 11:51 am
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
You sound really judgmental. Maybe they're just shy or introverted, and there's really nothing wrong with that.

One of them is. What I ended up doing is let them sit and eat and then eventually they wanted to go play. Still not the bravest kids in this park but it’s a great step.

I don’t want them to be handicapped by anxiety…

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 11:54 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

So maybe work with them so they'll feel more comfortable in social situations instead of calling them sissies? The name-calling really rubs me the wrong way. You're their mom, you're supposed to be on their side.

Zehava

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 11:55 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
One of them is. What I ended up doing is let them sit and eat and then eventually they wanted to go play. Still not the bravest kids in this park but it’s a great step.

The only thing that will handicap them is your labels

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 11:55 am
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
So maybe work with them so they'll feel more comfortable in social situations instead of calling them sissies? The name-calling really rubs me the wrong way. You're their mom, you're supposed to be on their side.

After sukkos I will be signing up for social skills classes and /or therapy.

I don’t call them names to their face obviously. Venting here let’s me let go of my resentful or triggered feelings and present as happy and nonjudgmental to my kids.

sub

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 11:56 am
They are not sissies. Please don’t call them that. They are cautious, learning, observing. When they are ready they will try things at their pace.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 11:56 am
Zehava wrote:
The only thing that will handicap them is your labels

That’s not true. And I never call them labels to their face.
I see what anxiety does to people. It doesn’t let you reach your potential in terms of self, career/finances, relationships…

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 11:57 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

You're making way too much out of this.
They're not sissies (hate that word) and they're not going to have anxiety problems. Let them hang out at the park with you, sit on the bench, eat their snack, look up at the clouds, watch the other kids. They'll figure out what they want to do and when they start climbing and using the equipment let them do their thing. If one of them would rather sit and draw what he sees or count how many triangles he can find that's fine too.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 11:57 am
sub wrote:
They are not sissies. Please don’t call them that. They are cautious, learning, observing. When they are ready they will try things at their pace.

Thanks. This is a great reframe for me!

amother
Mayflower

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 11:58 am
Calling them names, like sissies, is not helpful, even if not to their faces. If someone else did that, like another child, I would be livid. You have to change that attitude.

sub

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 11:58 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I don’t call them names to their face obviously. Venting here let’s me let go of my resentful or triggered feelings and present as happy and nonjudgmental to my kids.

Kids feel it, even if you think your faking it well enough. Your a mom whose worried. Understandable. But take a wait and see stance until you have a better picture of their personalities and needs. You and they will be fine. Hatzlocha, bracha, nachas and a great yomtov.

Last edited by sub on Sun, Sep 19 2021, 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 12:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

You feel resentful or triggered because you don't think your kids are brave enough? Why not just let them develop at their own pace?

I agree with the poster who said the kids are probably picking up on your attitude even if you think you're faking it.

amother
Rainbow

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 12:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I have a sensitive boy who's really shy in new surroundings. I'm taking him to soccer classes to overcome it. Find something your boys are good at and foster it. they need to feel good about themselves. If they're afraid of something just acknowledge that fear and let them explore at their own pace.

amother
Currant

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 12:13 pm
Hi OP
I took my son for OT for other concerns (mostly strength related) but he used to be just like this! (He is 5 now and did OT and PT for around a year) He got a nice amount of therapy, at one point 2x/week OT and 1x per week PT, bh totally covered by insurance. I feel like it made such a difference for him. And I dont know if it was so much the therapy or also the exposure. The therapy was part of it since he was afraid of slides, didn't like the sensation of swinging etc. but also the consistent climbing etc in this safe, fun environment was amazing for him.
He is really a different child now. It could be that the same could be achieved w gymnastics classes, taking him to a kids indoor climbing play place, or something of that type. It would just have to be consistent and feel safe for him- just right level of challenge. Start off with it being a place without too many people, you may have to go on/ climb with him or stand close by. Also it should be things that are easy for him to do. For example, some playgrounds have areas for the younger set and areas for the older set. I would put them on the areas for the younger set first, make it fun and playful- hide and seek etc.
And they play off of you- so if you are anxious about them, they feel it. Know that they iyH will move past this! But it is good that you're looking out for them and I know exactly what youre going through.
Sorry for typos... busy day

octopus

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 12:15 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ages 7 and 4. Took them to a park and they don’t want to do anything, too scared to climb, they’d rather just sit and eat our snacks and watch the other kids.

Argh

Have you ever taken them to the park before? Is this a new experience? Please don't even use this name in your thinking vocabulary!!

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 12:18 pm
Do you encourage them and help them on the equipment? Or are you just expecting them to just run over and figure it out?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics