Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Diy meat board on a budget

enjoying kids

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 4:40 pm
One poster mentioned this idea. Looking for more details!

Sb1234

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 5:29 pm
Grilled London broil
Grilled chicken
Hasselback Salami
Grilled mini peppers
Roasted mini red onions
Pickles
Mustard
Garlic mayo/Chimmichuri

You can mix and match any proteins- these are the cheaper ones. You can add sliced deli meats as well.

jellybelly94

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 8:30 pm
Hard salami (can buy sliced at butcher usually cheap or u can even make ur own bit takes 2 to 3 weeks to harden fully- maybe for future u cud do this) I add aufshnit beef Stix like 2 or 3 n cut up into pcs- they r like 3 or 4 bucks a pc, a small pkg beef jersey to put on the side, some deli slices, diff kinds of olives, mini pickles, can add 2 dipping sauces in small plastic containers- n yeh can do any other kind of cooked meat or even grilled chicken I guess works too. Yum! Enjoy!

r1

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 8:51 pm
I always do mini shnitzels. Mini/ cocktail franks in blanks and hassle back salami. Depending on the budget and crowd I’ll add either a rib eye or grilled dark chicken or pastrami .

Scotty

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 11:58 pm
Best thing ever!!!
It’s all in the arrangement. Google pics for inspiration (and to make it a lot easier to copy on your own.)

The main rules: (choose one or two from each category. The key is color and variety.)

1. The meats. SOME IDEAS:
-Any leftovers you have, sliced thinly (this is great midway through yom Tov: two leftover stuffed capons look magnificent sliced and fanned out; the half-cup shredded brisket in a artful pile or small dish likewise; four wings in a tumble, one leftover chicken breast shredded with two forks or sliced into thin thin pieces… the last four inches of deli roll sliced into atylish wafer thin slices and laid down in a row)
-one or two packages of deli. Turkey is perfectly fine (and cheaper than meats!) shake out each slice like you would fluff a napkin before putting into a cup (but gentler) and pile artfully. If that is too weird for you then roll up or layer.(we love the pile method and copied it from $$$$$$ boards we’ve seen)
- Hasselback salami. Buy a $12 salami (not hard) OR kielbasa OR even just plain Franks and slice hasselback style (bracket salami with two skewers so knife won’t cut through entirely, a hint from Busy in Brooklyn) and massage in a glaze (BIB has great ones, or just a combo of brown sugar, soy sauce, sriracha, balsamic, ketchup etc) then bake and baste until crisp. This looks AWESOME and tastes really cool. (Diners pull off slices to eat.) save the gravy.
- Bake a Turkey breast (rub with honey and mustard, bake until almost done turning once, let sit until done), sliced thinly - this is dynamite for like $13 and the centerpiece (save the gravy!)
- thinly sliced chicken breast.
-saucy wings. Save the gravy sauce from the pan.
- buy a small piece of meat, marinate and bake or grill, then slice thinly and fan out in a row. Save the gravy.
- bake mini Franks in that hasselback sauce until slightlyc crispy, tossing to coat/bake evenly.
-you can toss a package of pastrami ($6) with maple syrup and some brown sugar and bake until crisp, but that shrinks. Maybe better o put out plain if you’re buying only one package.
- of course you can buy $$ cold cuts, jerky, meats, hard salami, etc. but honestly no need - this board gonna look incredible even with just some of the above.

2. The sauces: put each gravy into its own little bowl or small dish (I have a bunch from amazing savings we use all the time.) arrange beside appropriate meat. You can also squirt spicy Mayo into a bowl or other salad dressings or dips you have in the fridge for dipping. (Homemade or bought.) Or mix a jam with balsamic vinegar for a sweet -tart glaze dip. Mustard too.

3. The contrasting and complementing nibbles: artfully arrange (or just dribble onto board in the spaces between meats) the accompaniments - this is what makes it look super fancy while literally being whatever you happen to have on hand -go wild! Some ideas:

Small pickles, or slices of large pickles
Slices or cubes of fruit (literally ANY TYPE)
Olives
Chips - any type
Small crackers - any type
Nuts - sweet, salty, whatever you have
Any type of dried fruit (remember to check for bugs first)
Small peppers
Hot peppers
Hummus
Avocado
craisins
Grape tomatoes
Leftover sautéed or roasted veg or onions
*Kugel(s) sliced into cubes or slices*
LITERALLY ANYTHING that contrasts or complements the tastes or colors of your board! This is the fun part!

You can also make a rosemary garlic confit - cook 4 peeled heads’ worth of garlic in olive oil to cover with dried rosemary, then rapidly boil to crisp a bit. Cool and pour into another small bowl. Delectable and super rich, but costs very little!

We do this often instead of a main dish, especially when there’s a lot of little containers of leftovers and we need an impressive meal that I’m too exhausted to cook from scratch. Everyone, and I mean everyone, has a fantastic time eating it! You don’t really have to bother with a main if you make a large one.

ENJOY!!!!

sky

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 1:34 am
Salami bullet - slice salami thin - paint with 1/2 duck sauce and 1/2 bbq sauce until crispy
I put the same sauce on sliced deli and bake. I’ve use pastrami or turkey pastrami but I think any deli would work - I slice into bite size pieces. Watch when baking so doesn’t burn.
Fresh sliced deli
Frank’s n blanks and/or mini deli rolls
Meat pizza squares
Grilled chicken cutlets - small pieces

Olives
Pickles
Mustard

Melba toast

SuperWify

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 4:29 am
I do this every week.
-leftover meat from last nights roast served cold/ leftover lamb chops.. whatever was served
-mini franks for the kids
-assortment of deli
-salami chips
-crackers
-bowl of nuts

chanchy123

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 5:49 am
Question from a clueless Israeli whose family would go nuts for this kind of thing - what sort of board do you serve this on? How big? I’ve had similar dishes in restaurants in Israel but never on a large scale or with such a variety.
This is like the perfect meal for my family and I can’t wait to try it.
Edit - I googled it and I see it’s served just on a regular wooden cutting board, I actually have one of these and was thinking of getting rid of it. So I guess I’m keeping it now.

4g01o

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 5:59 am
Can someone link boards from amazon that I can make this on please?

SuperWify

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 6:07 am
chanchy123 wrote:
Question from a clueless Israeli whose family would go nuts for this kind of thing - what sort of board do you serve this on? How big? I’ve had similar dishes in restaurants in Israel but never on a large scale or with such a variety.
This is like the perfect meal for my family and I can’t wait to try it.
Edit - I googled it and I see it’s served just on a regular wooden cutting board, I actually have one of these and was thinking of getting rid of it. So I guess I’m keeping it now.

A wooden board. Or anything.

What you found sounds perfect.

6000miles

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 1:14 pm
Thank you all for these amazing ideas... Made a meat board with all my Yom Tov leftovers last night for dinner (in EY Smile ) and it was so pretty! and all the leftovers are gone now!!! Perfect Chol hamoed treat....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus