Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Im at my wits end!!!! no routine!
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 2:21 pm
Discussed this in real life so im anon for this.

We went to e"y for the summer and my babys schedule was messed up bc of that. Before we left, she had a great schedule, went down to sleep at 8 pm but woke up around 12, then 4 then again at 6 to eat.

now that were back (been back 3 weeks) she has no schedule. every day is different. and I dont know how to put her back into a schedule. she is formula fed. and we dont cio.

last night she went to bed at 8 pm, woke up at 9:30 pm and was wide awake giggling and laughing. she stayed up until 1 am laughing and then she got overtired and until 3 am she was howling and crying. my husband rubbed her belly bc she is super constipated and she fell asleep at 3:30 am...

she woke up at 6:45 am to eat and went back to sleep. she could have slept much later but I woke her up at 8:45/9 to start her day. she went down for a nap at 11:45 am and is still sleeping at 2:20 pm.

on shabbos she took 2 naps for 45 mins each. she wakes up fresh and happy. so I cant even leave her in her crib bc then she just starts crying more

how do I get her back into a schedule? how do I get her to sleep through the night?

any resources you can lead me to?? I go back to work soon and need help!

amother
Cherry

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 2:29 pm
How old is she? Babies have growth spurts at 3 months, 4 months, 6 months and 9 months. She may need more food at night.

Maybe she's still jetlagged. Try taking her outside in the morning so she gets out in sunlight.

Or maybe she's just giving you a hard time and she'll grow out of it. Smile

SG18

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 2:45 pm
We had this when we made Aliyah- we were all so jetlagged and off schedule. It was really bad for my 4 month old. I didn't do anything- I let her sleep when she was tired, fed her when she was hungry, etc. I didn't cap naps or sleep either- she slept as much or as little as she wanted. Her body needed extra rest. Now, 3 weeks later, her schedule is basically back to normal.

amother
Black

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 2:49 pm
How old is she? That’s critical

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 2:57 pm
wow forgot to add her age!
now how do I calculate it? I always get confused...
do I go by weeks or the actual # on the calendar?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 2:59 pm
shes 8 months basically kah

amother
Black

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 3:00 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
wow forgot to add her age!
now how do I calculate it? I always get confused...
do I go by weeks or the actual # on the calendar?

How many months old is she?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 3:01 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
How many months old is she?

shes born 1/19 so today would be 8 months

amother
Black

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 3:06 pm
At 8 months she should sleep 10-12 hours overnight, and have 2 (or 3, if she has high sleep needs or the naps are short) naps. The first nap should be 2 hours after wake up time. Example.

7am wake up. change, bottle, play, some solid food, play. 9 am, back to bed for nap 1. She’ll protest. Let’s say she wakes at 10:30. Great. Play, bottle, some solid foo for early lunch. Back to nap at 12-30-1 or so. She’ll protest. Maybe she’ll sleep till 2. At this point you can decide if you can stretch her till bedtime (6-7pm) or if she needs another nap (in which case bedtime would be 7-8pm. Develop a bedtime routines so she knows the cues. Example, bath, bottle in dark room, a song, then bed.

If she’s up overnight, assess her needs. A baby who is happy and playful doesn’t come out of bed. It means she has her days and nights mixed up. You need to teach her that it’s nighttime. If you must take her out, keep the room dark, no tv or smartphone. Speak in low voices. Baby needs to know it’s nighttime. Don’t engage more than you need to and definitely don’t play with her. Address the need and then back to bed. She’ll protest. Babies this age (if they’re eating and drinking enough during the day) shouldn’t need formula overnight. If you must offer a bottle try water.

She’ll get there!!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 3:08 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
At 8 months she should sleep 10-12 hours overnight, and have 2 (or 3, if she has high sleep needs or the naps are short) naps. The first nap should be 2 hours after wake up time. Example.

7am wake up. change, bottle, play, some solid food, play. 9 am, back to bed for nap 1. She’ll protest. Let’s say she wakes at 10:30. Great. Play, bottle, some solid foo for early lunch. Back to nap at 12-30-1 or so. She’ll protest. Maybe she’ll sleep till 2. At this point you can decide if you can stretch her till bedtime (6-7pm) or if she needs another nap (in which case bedtime would be 7-8pm.

If she’s up overnight, assess her needs. A baby who is happy and playful doesn’t come out of bed. It means she has her days and nights mixed up. You need to teach her that it’s nighttime. If you must take her out, keep the room dark, no tv or smartphone. Speak in low voices. Baby needs to know it’s nighttime. Don’t engage more than you need to and definitely don’t play with her. Address the need and then back to bed. She’ll protest. Babies this age (if they’re eating and drinking enough during the day) shouldn’t need formula overnight. If you must offer a bottle try water.

She’ll get there!!

Thank you for typing this out.
She is not sleeping through the night.
And she eats full bottles.
The other night she ate 3.5 full bottles of 6 oz each.

People tell me to feed her more during the day which I am doing, but if she refuses to eat I dont force her. I really dont know what to do with this.

Practically once she wakes up after I put her down for the night at 8 PM, what am I supposed to do with her? She is wide awake come 10 pm until midnight...

amother
Black

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 3:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you for typing this out.
She is not sleeping through the night.
And she eats full bottles.
The other night she ate 3.5 full bottles of 6 oz each.

People tell me to feed her more during the day which I am doing, but if she refuses to eat I dont force her. I really dont know what to do with this.

Practically once she wakes up after I put her down for the night at 8 PM, what am I supposed to do with her? She is wide awake come 10 pm until midnight...

How long has it been since you returned home form Israel?

Honestly your baby takes more overnight than even my infants did! She really has her schedule mixed up

If she’s wakes overnight and is crying enough that you feel you have to take her out, hold her in a dark room. Either up against your or cradled, rub her back. Sing softly. Anything to cue sleep and not wake. Make minimal eye contact. No toys. No screens. No laughing with her. It’s all about making her tired

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 3:13 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
How long has it been since you returned home form Israel?

Honestly your baby takes more overnight than even my infants did! She really has her schedule mixed up

If she’s wakes overnight and is crying enough that you feel you have to take her out, hold her in a dark room. Either up against your or cradled, rub her back. Sing softly. Anything to cue sleep and not wake. Make minimal eye contact. No toys. No screens. No laughing with her. It’s all about making her tired

weve been back about 3 weeks
ya that night she ate 3 bottles was a weird night. usually she eats less overnight. im just depserate to cut out one feed at least

going to try all that tonight ty amother black!

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 3:32 pm
She has her day and night messed up but I wouldn't feed an 8 month old that much at night.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 3:46 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
She has her day and night messed up but I wouldn't feed an 8 month old that much at night.

on a normal night with her 3 wakings (one at midnght, one around 3 and then one around 6) she has maybe 7-8 oz

amother
Black

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 4:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
on a normal night with her 3 wakings (one at midnght, one around 3 and then one around 6) she has maybe 7-8 oz

That is a lot for a baby that age!! How much (how many ounces?) does she take during the daytime hours ?

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 4:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

What does she take during the day?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 5:29 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
What does she take during the day?

she eats about 3 bottles, 6 oz each. sometimes she'll leave an oz or two.
everyday can be diff tho...

I try giving her more during the day but she refuses. she'll close her mouth or let the milk dribble out lol

English3

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 5:32 pm
My twins are a week older than your baby
They wake up at seven and have a bottle
At eight thirty they have breakfast
At ten they have a nap till 12
They have a bottle
At 1 they have a jar
At three they go for a nap
At four, five they wake up
They have a bottle
And supper.
At seven they go to sleep for the night.
This is not strictly accurate they do mess with me but it is the last couple of days like this.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 5:57 pm
English3 wrote:
My twins are a week older than your baby
They wake up at seven and have a bottle
At eight thirty they have breakfast
At ten they have a nap till 12
They have a bottle
At 1 they have a jar
At three they go for a nap
At four, five they wake up
They have a bottle
And supper.
At seven they go to sleep for the night.
This is not strictly accurate they do mess with me but it is the last couple of days like this.

wow twins! mazal tov

I need to start my day earlier with her. we can rly sleep in late some days
will start tomorrow iyh.

they do a 2 hour nap from 10 am -12 pm? and then another 2 hour nap from 2-5 pm?
how did you drop them waking up at night?

English3

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 6:03 pm
I never dropped their night sleep they did it independently, one twin can wake up at night usually around four, he is smaller and eats less. Their nap times are generally two hours sometimes less and sometimes three hours.
I say in the busy days Hashem 8s kind to me and they give longer stretches.
They have about 7 Oz bottles which they usually don't finish completely.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics