Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Is late to bed, late to wake really the same as...

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 6:14 am
a regular schedule of a normal bedtime? DS can't see what's wrong with going to sleep at 2am and waking up at 10:30/11. He thinks it's the same. His brother goes to sleep at 12 and wakes at 8, so technically they're both getting a normal night's sleep, so what's wrong?

I don't think it's the same at all, and I think there's tremendous value in following a normal routine.

Am I right?

And if I am, how do I impart this to DS?

I appreciate that it's bein hazmanim so it's more about the concept, not necessarily the here and now.

amother
Catmint

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 6:23 am
Biologically, it's not quite the same, but teenagers/young adults do have circadian rhythms that make them tired later at night and wake up later in the morning. So they may actually function better on that schedule.

But doesn't he go to minyan?

twizzlers1

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 6:44 am
Besides my husband all of us are on the schedule during vacation. We really enjoy being up late and sleeping in. When they're school and work we all get up on time and make it out of the house. We just really enjoy not having the pressure of having to go to bed and wake up early.

English3

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 6:49 am
It is a very hard thiing to teach a teen they will see what you do and they will copy when they are older iyh.

amother
Darkblue

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 6:55 am
It's the same amount of sleep and the same amount of restful. For a teen's body, it often feels more appropriate than what we think of as a normal schedule. The main problems relate to how it doesn't match up with the rest of the world: having to get up on time for school and shul, the bustle of the house or the garbage truck waking them early even when they went to bed late.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children