Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Is it ok to tell cleaning lady not to come next 2 weeks?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 7:15 am
I feel bad but she comes Tuesdays and it’s yom tov.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 7:20 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Are you able to have her come on a day that not Yom tov instead?

Amarante

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 7:22 am
Either you have her come on another day or you pay her for the two days you won't be using her services.

It is not acceptable to deprive a cleaning lady of a significant portion of her income because it is your decision not to use her services.

I paid my cleaning lady during the COVID pandemic even though I didn't want her to come until we were both vaccinated.

amother
Arcticblue

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 7:27 am
I have my cleaning lady on Wednesdays, she works by other's every day of the week. I told her that the next 2 Wednesdays is holiday and I'll pay her for the missed days when she comes back.

amother
Dandelion

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 7:30 am
I completely agree with Amarante. The cleaning lady is not exactly making big money and almost certainly depends on the income. If I cancel on her for whatever reason (Yomtov, vacation, covid case at home) I pay her.

amother
Calendula

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 7:30 am
Are you going to be home? You can have her come and make beds, sweep floors, wash dishes, and tidy up. She just can't vacuum or do laundry or deep clean.

I usually tell my cleaning lady not to come on chaggim and I don't pay her for days she doesn't work but I give her plenty of notice so she can use those days to make appointments or pick up extra work from her other jobs.

At this point, you would be telling your lady not to come in tomorrow and that's not enough notice for her to find a replacement for that income. So either tell her not to come but pay her or have her come and do light cleaning.

yidisheh mama

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 7:56 am
I put the dates of yomim tovim into my cleaning lady's calendar a few weeks in advance. That way she has time to find work for those days. I actually asked her yesterday if she can come Thursday chol hamoed (She's by me on Thursdays), and she said that she already told someone else that she will go to them.

creditcards

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 8:48 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I would feel bad telling a cleaning lady not to come for 2 weeks but the truth is that it depends how reliable she is. I was nice to mine and paid her on all the holidays and she just informed me she found a different job. I was really nice to her more than the usual because I wanted her to be happy, didn't help me anything. You definitely don't have to do anything, you don't owe them anything and they don't owe you anything....unless you have a relationship for a long time you may feel different....

amother
Junglegreen

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 8:51 am
While I feel bad, she also doesn’t hesitate to go on vacation for a week or 2 and leave me without cleaning help.
It’s a 2 way street. We are both generous yet understanding with each other.

creditcards

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 8:52 am
Amarante wrote:
Either you have her come on another day or you pay her for the two days you won't be using her services.

It is not acceptable to deprive a cleaning lady of a significant portion of her income because it is your decision not to use her services.

I paid my cleaning lady during the COVID pandemic even though I didn't want her to come until we were both vaccinated.

Imagine paying her through covid and then having her inform you that she is not coming back....

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 8:53 am
She’s coming on Wednesday. I would be happy to do without and have some space, but it will probably be helpful.

amother
Arcticblue

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 9:02 am
creditcards wrote:
Imagine paying her through covid and then having her inform you that she is not coming back....

Right. Paying cleaning help for over a year of no work doesn't make sense. She was probably working for someone else during that time and making free money. Now this yom tov season, I'll pay my cleaning help for the missed days after yom tov when (if?)she comes back.

amother
Molasses

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 9:07 am
amother [ Dandelion ] wrote:
I completely agree with Amarante. The cleaning lady is not exactly making big money and almost certainly depends on the income. If I cancel on her for whatever reason (Yomtov, vacation, covid case at home) I pay her.

The cleaning lady is not exactly making big money?!
Are you for real?
Cleaning ladies take a minimum of $15 an hour, but many are taking $20 an hour. For most of them nothing at all comes off that. It's not small money that's for sure.
We pay them well and too many of them do what creditcards' cleaning lady just did. They leave without giving you notice whenever it suits them, usually right before Yom Tov/ Pesach when they know you need them.
It doesn't mean you don't treat them fairly. OP, it's late to tell your cleaning lady she's out of work for the next two weeks. You should pay her for the two days she's losing but tell her you'll give it to her when she comes back. Don't expect anything in return. I paid a cleaning lady many weeks when I had to be away due to an illness in the family. She happily took the money for all her days off and then quit two weeks before Pesach.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 9:17 am
amother [ Molasses ] wrote:
Are you for real?
Cleaning ladies take a minimum of $15 an hour, but many are taking $20 an hour. For most of them nothing at all comes off that. It's not small money that's for sure.
We pay them well and too many of them do what creditcards' cleaning lady just did. They leave without giving you notice whenever it suits them, usually right before Yom Tov/ Pesach when they know you need them.
It doesn't mean you don't treat them fairly. OP, it's late to tell your cleaning lady she's out of work for the next two weeks. You should pay her for the two days she's losing but tell her you'll give it to her when she comes back. Don't expect anything in return. I paid a cleaning lady many weeks when I had to be away due to an illness in the family. She happily took the money for all her days off and then quit two weeks before Pesach.

Do you really consider $20 an hour for scrubbing excrement out of other people's toilets to be big bucks? Even full time, no days off, its only about $40,000 a year. Can you support your family on that?

If you retain your cleaning help on an ad hoc basis, come only when I call, feel free not to come if you're busy, sure, don't pay for a day you don't call.

But if its a regular gig, then of course you pay for days you choose not to have them in.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 9:23 am
amother [ Molasses ] wrote:
Are you for real?

She makes a flat rate of $100 for 5-6 hours.

Raisin

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 9:26 am
My cleaning lady comes on yom tov and washes up, sweeps floors, tidies up. Plenty to do without regular cleaning, even if its less than usual.

Amarante

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 9:34 am
amother [ Arcticblue ] wrote:
Right. Paying cleaning help for over a year of no work doesn't make sense. She was probably working for someone else during that time and making free money. Now this yom tov season, I'll pay my cleaning help for the missed days after yom tov when (if?)she comes back.

It made sense to me because it was the right thing for me to do and it gave me pleasure to help someone who was going through a hard time. Since I would have spent the money for her services during that period, there was no reason for me NOT to pay her since it was my decision not to use her. She needed the money far more than I did.

I knew she was coming back because she has been a loyal employee and she wouldn't find a better employer than I. If for some reason she shocked me by not coming back, I still wouldn't have regretted doing the right thing.

FWIW my friends also paid their help during the pandemic even though they didn't have them come and they all came back to work.

I know cleaning ladies suffered greatly during the pandemic because none of my friends used them during the pandemic but then I am in a community where people were very cautious. K/H no one in my family or among my friends got COVID and we were all fully vaccinated as soon as we could be.

This is the thank you I received from her son after sending her payments through the year - do you think this is something that a *scammer* taking advantage of me would send?

My mom wanted me to reach out to express how she feels in regards to the check you gave her.

She’s currently still in shock and is left speechless. She sincerely appreciates your kindness and generosity. She wanted me to thank you from the bottom of all of our hearts. She wanted me to tell you that she views you as angel that helped our family during this hardship.

Thank you so much *amarante

amother
Hawthorn

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 9:38 am
Let me start by saying: cleaning ladies are AWESOME!

But there is no loyalty and they will and do drop literally the day it suites them. Nothing to do with how “nice” you are to them (which should be a given regardless of course)

And yes, I can support my family on $40,000/yr off the books and therefore receiving every possible government program out there. (One of my cleaning ladies went on a family vacation every year for a full week, among other times-but I didn’t)!

Why would anyone feel bad? They are choosing to work and this is the job. Of course they should be treated fairly and with dignity as every employee should. If you “feel bad”, don't hire cleaning help.

No one “feels bad” for us when we have to work-no matter how long and hard.

As far as paying when not using on a set day, each person knows what they have to do under their particular circumstances.

Still: worth every penny, lol!

A chag kasher v’sameach to all!

tryinghard

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 9:52 am
I wouldn’t cancel on such short notice (though my cleaning lady certainly doesn’t mind doing that to me!). But I let her know ahead of time when I will be away or won’t need her, and she fills her days with other clients. Doesn’t make sense to me to pay when she’s not working.
I do give extras here and there, deciding right now how much I should give her as a wedding present. I think I treat her pretty fairly.

amother
Molasses

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 9:57 am
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
Do you really consider $20 an hour for scrubbing excrement out of other people's toilets to be big bucks? Even full time, no days off, its only about $40,000 a year. Can you support your family on that?

If you retain your cleaning help on an ad hoc basis, come only when I call, feel free not to come if you're busy, sure, don't pay for a day you don't call.

But if its a regular gig, then of course you pay for days you choose not to have them in.

With regard to your question, if I didn't declare my income and went on every program the answer is yes. Of course I would not do that but any cleaning help I've had refuses to work the way we all do.

With regard to your reply, did you even bother reading anything I wrote before you hit reply?
I always wondered why people reply without reading.
I'll put it down to how busy you must be day before chag. Chag Sameach!

*I wasn't going to reply to the disgusting scrubbing part of your post but maybe I should. My cleaning lady doesn't do that. I take care of messes like that before she gets here and I know I'm not the only one. My friends and I treat our cleaning help as employees we respect. Which is why it's disappointing but no longer surprising when they don't bother extending the same courtesy.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics