Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What is reasonable food budget for this family makeup

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 10:44 am
Two parents
Two large teens
Three big kids
Frequent Shabbos guests
Access to NY frum supermarket prices, probably also Costco.
Not makpid on Cholov Yisrael.
Not extravagant nor frugal (not buying takeout and expensive cuts of meat all the time but yes to things like bodek broccoli, frozen pizza, meat for Shabbos...)

This is a starting from scratch scenario, I do not have a baseline to compare to, just trying to predict the range of what one might expect. Could go with a year round average or an estimate for a Yom tov month and a non-yom tov month respectively.

Thanks in advance for your help.

dankbar

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 10:50 am
For this month it's just ongoing food shopping with crazy food bills.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 12:45 pm
Thanks but I'm asking for numbers for general guidance and planning. If someone has a similar family makeup (adults, teens, kids; New York pricing; midrange lifestyle) please share about how much you spend in a typical month. And if you know how much more you spend for a Yom tov month that's also good to know but a regular baseline would be a helpful start.

Talking about a situation in which the family is coming from a different place and trying to estimate cost of living in advance of planning a move.

amother
Leaf

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 12:47 pm
Depends where in NY- food in Cedarhurst Gourmet Glatt is more than in KRM…

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 12:52 pm
Yes there are varying levels of shopping everywhere but can we get some average ballpark figures please? Are we looking at 500? 700? 1000? More? Let's assume they are not shopping in the most expensive fancy stores but also not spending a lot of time bargain hunting. Average middle of the road Costco type of family.

Lunches for all the kids are included in their tuitions BTW, forgot that important piece.

lfab

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 2:05 pm
I would estimate $1,500- $2,000. It really depends on how much and what your family eats such as if you're big snackers or not, do you eat lots of fruits and veggies... but that stupid be my best guess. Yom tov months will probably be more.

Sb1234

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 3:03 pm
I would say around 1800-2000 monthly.

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 3:08 pm
Yes I think $400 on a regular week sounds average

amother
Cappuccino

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 3:19 pm
We have 9 kids from lower teens down to babies and we spend about $500 a week.

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 3:24 pm
I would estimate about $4-500/week.
Figure about $50/day (dinner about $35-40 and $10-15/day in breakfast/snacks/home lunch for you& DH) and $100-$200 for Shabbos depending on if it is just you or you have company or if you are buying easy food as opposed to less expensive but more work.

lamplighter

Post Wed, Sep 22 2021, 9:12 pm
$2000 a month to figure the budget.

If you're asking literally or how one could cut it, maybe the number would be different but I would use the 2k number to plan.

dankbar

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 11:43 am
If you are buying lots of stuff in Costco & not buying cholov yisroel it is a lot cheaper than buying in local heimish supermarkets/groceries.

amother
Snowflake

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 11:55 am
I would say 2000 a month but that’s my guess with keeping cholov yisroel prices etc
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics