Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
If you have no man at home do you have a sukka?
Previous  1  2

amother
Cyclamen

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 11:56 am
Yes. Last year my neighbor offered to) or more accurately , informed us that they will) build ours even though none of us are mechuyav in the mitzvah yet .(My oldest boy was 9 at the time.) It brought tremendous simchas YT to our family. This year he did it again and I’m very glad that we have a sukkah .

watergirl

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 12:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have an indoor sukka it's not physically hard but I wouldn't open it unless a Rav told me I'm required to, especially since women don't eat in the sukka by us.

Just because one holds that a woman is not required to eat in the sukkah (it's not required for any women) does not in any way mean that a woman CAN NOT or SHOULD NOT eat in it. It sounds like it would really add to your kids simchas hachag. Seeing as its easy for you to have it opened and schach put over it, whats the big deal?

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 12:20 pm
When I was a single mom (for many years), we still had a Sukkah. I wanted to enjoy the holiday with my kids and enjoy the simcha. It's something that makes a timeless impression on kids. You don't have to have a man around to enjoy so many of these things.

I highly, highly recommend this book:
https://www.artscroll.com/Deta.....23312

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 12:37 pm
watergirl wrote:
Just because one holds that a woman is not required to eat in the sukkah (it's not required for any women) does not in any way mean that a woman CAN NOT or SHOULD NOT eat in it. It sounds like it would really add to your kids simchas hachag. Seeing as its easy for you to have it opened and schach put over it, whats the big deal?

Yes some hold a woman SHOULD NOT eat in sukka. But anyway that's a discussion for another topic.

watergirl

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 12:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes some hold a woman SHOULD NOT eat in sukka. But anyway that's a discussion for another topic.

ok I've literally never ever heard that. Could it be that it came down from a time and place where the sukkahs were too small to accommodate everyone so the women did not take a place?

In any case, it sounds like you have a shailah to ask and ask soon.

amother
Lightcoral

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 12:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My children are young so I didn't see why I need to have a sukka. Also our minhag is women do not eat in the sukka even if there is place.

Just wondering what other people do.

I was taught that just sitting in the Sukkah is such a holy thing, as well as lighting candles and Davening inside the sukkah, I’m divorced, have a son but even when he’s not home I have a Sukkah.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 12:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have an indoor sukka it's not physically hard but I wouldn't open it unless a Rav told me I'm required to, especially since women don't eat in the sukka by us.

What’s an indoor sukka?

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 12:51 pm
My mother and I built the sukkah every year together after my parents divorced.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics