Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
S/O: Am I the only one who would hate a gift of jewelry?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 1:23 pm
amother [ Opal ] wrote:
My jewelry is all real and my husband buys them I don’t have duplicates. He always saves to buy me

S/O, Am I the only one who would hate a gift of jewelry?

I like to choose everything myself.

Even 3 choices of the most expensive jewelry, wouldnt make me happy.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 1:24 pm
Same.
A jewelry gift is best given as a gift certificate.

Last edited by amother on Wed, Dec 22 2021, 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 1:28 pm
I hate jewelry . I only like the fake colorful beaded stuff. The worst gifts I’ve ever received were real jewelry. The only exception with that is all of my kallah jewelry . I never wear it, but it has sentimental value to me.

amother
Pistachio

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 1:29 pm
Same
Dh just bought me a $1000 pair of earrings. I’d have preferred a specific bracelet. The earrings are eh, and they actually irritate my ears and face. I already have a pair of diamond studs that I wear every day that I love… there was no need for this pair of earrings. But I said thank you and wear them and I am grateful I have a dh who loves and appreciates me.

Zehava

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 1:33 pm
It’s still a gift even when I choose

amother
Cappuccino

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 1:43 pm
Do you like/dislike other gifts?
Is this feeling only in regards to jewelry or all gifts (or all gifts above a certain price point)?
I hate gifts but I get tomatoes every time I say that here.

(Btw, I would love if someone got me a box of beautiful, ripe, farm fresh, heirloom tomatoes-but only at a great price).

amother
Leaf

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 1:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
S/O, Am I the only one who would hate a gift of jewelry?

I like to choose everything myself.

Even 3 choices of the most expensive jewelry, wouldnt make me happy.

Same! I picked my engagement ring setting and my Yichud room present. All other jewelry I bought myself!

amother
Pistachio

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 1:46 pm
amother [ Cappuccino ] wrote:
Do you like/dislike other gifts?
Is this feeling only in regards to jewelry or all gifts (or all gifts above a certain price point)?
I hate gifts but I get tomatoes every time I say that here.

(Btw, I would love if someone got me a box of beautiful, ripe, farm fresh, heirloom tomatoes-but only at a great price).

The thing with jewelry is that it is a lot of money.

With other gifts, it becomes a pressure to wear/use the gift even if I don’t like it…

The only safe gift for me is flowers Smile

But I’d rather dh take out the garbage clean the house for yom tov give me a massage…
All of which he does bH

amother
NeonYellow

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 2:13 pm
I'd be happy with anything anyone gifts me.
I'd rather not spend the money and I don't love jewelry but I would never not be appreciative.

Genius

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 2:16 pm
A gift can be something you choose. They're not mutually exclusive

Chayalle

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 2:16 pm
I'm not such a jewelry person. I have a few basics I wear, and don't need more. I would not be happy to spend on a jewelry gift when our budget is tight. I'd much rather pay my bills in full, and I'm saving up for some home upgrades in the future that I'd much rather have than jewelry (like new sinks and counters in my kitchen.)

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 2:19 pm
amother [ Pistachio ] wrote:
Same
Dh just bought me a $1000 pair of earrings. I’d have preferred a specific bracelet. The earrings are eh, and they actually irritate my ears and face. I already have a pair of diamond studs that I wear every day that I love… there was no need for this pair of earrings. But I said thank you and wear them and I am grateful I have a dh who loves and appreciates me.

IMNSHO you should have let him know, particularly if they irritate you.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 2:25 pm
I don’t care for jewelry much and I’d rather have Artistic fakes then real jewelry

amother
Pistachio

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 2:41 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
IMNSHO you should have let him know, particularly if they irritate you.

It was too late. Once I discovered they irritated me, the tag was off and it was not returnable.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 2:46 pm
amother [ Pistachio ] wrote:
It was too late. Once I discovered they irritated me, the tag was off and it was not returnable.

Removing the tag might make it difficult to return a pair of earrings from the clearance rack at Walmart, but almost certainly not a 4-digit purchase from a jewelry store, particularly not if they irritated you.

amother
Pistachio

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 3:39 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Removing the tag might make it difficult to return a pair of earrings from the clearance rack at Walmart, but almost certainly not a 4-digit purchase from a jewelry store, particularly not if they irritated you.

They specifically told him that.

amother
Raspberry

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 3:48 am
DH and I pick out together. We have very different taste. To me the greatest gift in the world dh telling me- honey, let’s go to the jewelry store and pick out X together.

He still tries to surprise me sometimes. It usually gets returned. Then I feel guilty. He gets insulted. And he tells me pick whatever you want. But I feel dumb picking out my own gift. This is what happened not before sukkot. I ended up with nothing.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 4:04 am
Well, I like gifts of any kind and I like jewelry of almost any kind, so the two would be a great combination for me.
Alas, dh and I are not in the habit of giving each other gifts. So, I have to buy my own jewelry and due to budget constraints, nearly always it's fake/costume. On the other hand, if anything gets lost or breaks, it's no great loss and no sentimental value attached and easily replacable.

amother
Leaf

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 6:38 am
amother [ Raspberry ] wrote:
DH and I pick out together. We have very different taste. To me the greatest gift in the world dh telling me- honey, let’s go to the jewelry store and pick out X together.

He still tries to surprise me sometimes. It usually gets returned. Then I feel guilty. He gets insulted. And he tells me pick whatever you want. But I feel dumb picking out my own gift. This is what happened not before sukkot. I ended up with nothing.

Is it awkward with the $ part? Does he tell you in advance what he’s looking to spend? How do you what to choose?

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 6:47 am
My husband will say I'd like to buy you something for birthday/etc and then I'll pick something out online. He love it that way because I will enjoy it and wear it and it totally comes from him because I never buy myself jewelry.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics