Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
I feel like a failure

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 5:12 pm
I stayed up until 2 am cooking because I couldn't start earlier. I made everything except dessert and Challah. I have a 4 month old colicky baby and I think she is teething so she is screaming for the whole day. My dh was at work and of course he waited last minute to do the schach so I have no help. My house looks like a tornado and my kids refuse to help. I didn't make dessert.....

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 5:15 pm
Wow, you're amazing! I only made soup so far, plus a menu.

My kids were bribed heavily to clean up yesterday so the house is half decent. DH finished putting up the sukkah this afternoon.

I leave the oven and stove on the whole Yom Tov because I'm not organized enough to have everything ready before.

amother
Begonia

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 5:21 pm
Most people never make challah or dessert. But challah or take rolls out of the freezer or matzah out of the cabinet.

imorethanamother

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 5:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I stayed up until 2 am cooking because I couldn't start earlier. I made everything except dessert and Challah. I have a 4 month old colicky baby and I think she is teething so she is screaming for the whole day. My dh was at work and of course he waited last minute to do the schach so I have no help. My house looks like a tornado and my kids refuse to help. I didn't make dessert.....

OMG, are you kidding me, you're superwoman!!

You're the biggest success story I've seen today! You're taking care of your baby and you're taking care of your family, and you enabled your husband to work so you're also supporting the family!

No one needs dessert! No one! I barely ever serve dessert!

The tornado can get cleaned up slowly. You'll have the best succos ever!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 5:26 pm
Thank you for making me feel a little better.

amother
Daisy

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 5:26 pm
Sometimes I feel like these posts are just to make people feel bad. I don’t make challah or dessert. I barely cooked all the food. I had to get take out to supplement. My house is a huge mess. Not sure how to feel after this post....

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 5:29 pm
Thank you for making me feel a little better.

imorethanamother

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 5:30 pm
amother [ Daisy ] wrote:
Sometimes I feel like these posts are just to make people feel bad. I don’t make challah or dessert. I barely cooked all the food. I had to get take out to supplement. My house is a huge mess. Not sure how to feel after this post....

My family actually likes bakery challah better. And nothing has been cooked so far! Nothing! I figure we can quickly fry some schnitzel after yom tov starts! Mashed potatoes and a salad, and zehu!

It's really okay. There's no award for the best meal. There's an award for the happiest mom, the one who has simcha for at least a minute on yom tov, and that's my goal this yom tov. It's hard, but I'm determined to be happy.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 5:31 pm
I never really make dessert. I don’t even buy it. We’re all eating enough fat and sugar without it.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 5:32 pm
I sometimes go into yom tov feeling like a worn out dish rag and it’s that feeling of exhaustion and physical pain that makes me feel like a failure, not that I haven’t accomplished. Cooking for a 2 day yom tov is hard. Give yourself credit. Everyone will survive without home baked desert or challah.

amother
Marigold

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 5:33 pm
It’s ok, it’s fine .
We all do what we can . It’s not a competition .
Kids dont care if there is one less dessert @ the table
Whatever .
YT is to @least try to enjoy… not to make yourself crazy
And really if you want extra, leave a flame on & cook on YT when you aren’t rushed or stressed
This year is tough, give yourself a break

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 5:43 pm
OP: Anyone in your family who doesn't help out AND sing your praises...THEY are the failure! (although I really don't like labeling anyone a failure so don't take me literally with the 1st sentence)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics