Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Anxiety about death in teenage daughter

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 8:41 pm
The terrible stories lately happening is causing my 16 year old thinking that she's next. The girl that passed away in the summer, the 3 boys in ukraine. This has been going on for 4 weeks already. Today she came home saying that her teacher said that 30 days before a person dies they feel it/get that niggling feeling that they're going to die. She was literally crying away that she's petrified because she feels it. I've been trying to talk to her, help her talk to hashem, give tzedukah etc. It's getting worse with each passing day. How do I help her asap?! (In a sense I'm petrified too because there have been stories like these and it ended up in death, people saying weird things about death, or just saying they have a feeling they're going to die)

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 8:42 pm
Your daughter has anxiety. Wait a few weeks and if not she needs therapy. Sounds like you have anxiety too.
You can take her for a well visit and do blood work to see if it calms her.
Hugs.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 8:50 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
Your daughter has anxiety. Wait a few weeks and if not she needs therapy. Sounds like you have anxiety too.
You can take her for a well visit and do blood work to see if it calms her.
Hugs.

I'm convinced she needs therapy now. I have anxiety I know. I thought it's under control but now with this going on I see it's not. I don't know where to turn who to ask to recommend somebody that can help her.

1ofbillions

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 9:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm convinced she needs therapy now. I have anxiety I know. I thought it's under control but now with this going on I see it's not. I don't know where to turn who to ask to recommend somebody that can help her.

You can reach out to Amudim or Relief for recommendations. I agree - it sounds like she would greatly benefit from some therapy.

Zehava

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 9:24 pm
That teacher is an idiot. Your daughter needs a qualified therapist and maybe a psychiatrist as well.

amother
Pistachio

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 9:57 pm
when I was a teenager I also often thought about it. wondering if I would die or if mashiach would come...I'm obviously still alive Wink
really the stories I heard about people were not of them going crazy crying about how they were going to die. more peaceful things that didn't make sense until afterwards like telling someone that they had money for a burial for whenever they may die and then dying soon after like more of a subconscious knowledge then a fear. It doesn't sound peaceful with your daughter, it sounds like anxiety.

honeymoon

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 10:05 pm
Classic anxiety. It won't get better on its own. Get help.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 10:11 pm
honeymoon wrote:
Classic anxiety. It won't get better on its own. Get help.

This. I remember once when I was 17 , I was so panicked that I wasn’t even functioning at all and I started to get physically sick. Please get her help. I still suffer terribly and although I’m still alive and kicking, sometimes I wish I would die...

amother
Junglegreen

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 10:18 pm
I've gone through this before and still go through it sometimes.
I'll be lying in bed sure that this will be my last night.
Nothing to say but I really feel for her. Maybe I should go get myself help. Sad

amother
Jean

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 10:30 pm
Following.
Any recommendations of a female therapist for a teen dealing with anxiety, Brooklyn vicinity?
TIA

honeymoon

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 10:34 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
This. I remember once when I was 17 , I was so panicked that I wasn’t even functioning at all and I started to get physically sick. Please get her help. I still suffer terribly and although I’m still alive and kicking, sometimes I wish I would die...

I feel you. Anxiety sucks. Please don't give up. It may be hell difficult but there is light at the end of this seemingly never ending tunnel. Hug

honeymoon

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 10:35 pm
amother [ Junglegreen ] wrote:
I've gone through this before and still go through it sometimes.
I'll be lying in bed sure that this will be my last night.
Nothing to say but I really feel for her. Maybe I should go get myself help. Sad

You really should. Hug

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 10:37 pm
amother [ Jean ] wrote:
Following.
Any recommendations of a female therapist for a teen dealing with anxiety, Brooklyn vicinity?
TIA

I'm in brooklyn too. My heart is going out for her. Today I showed her on the calendar from when she started complaining till today is more than 30 days. I had a real nice talk, have her money so she can give tzedukah. Will see how the next few days go. I must get her help asap.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 10:39 pm
I actually remember a phase in my teenage years going through the exact same thing. My mother put me into some vitamins and it bh worked. I wish I'd remember though what I took. Inositol I remember. But there was more that I don't.

amother
Jean

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 10:40 pm
Anxiety can be triggered by hormones. My daughter is more anxious during her period.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 10:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I actually remember a phase in my teenage years going through the exact same thing. My mother put me into some vitamins and it bh worked. I wish I'd remember though what I took. Inositol I remember. But there was more that I don't.

If you want to go the natural route, valerian root tastes pretty awful but my child’s psychiatrist suggested we try it before switching to meds. I don’t know how you’d get the dosage though without going through a dr?

amother
Jean

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 10:05 am
Bumping

amother
DarkGreen

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 12:12 pm
I remember as a kid thinking something bad was about to happen because I had a "sense of foreboding", and in all the books something bad happens after that, right? I self-treated by deciding that I just have the kind of brain that sometimes has that sense of foreboding and it doesn't mean anything. So, yes I did get better without professional treatment..
My anxiety was actually caused by PTSD, though, and that didn't get better on its own...

amother
Bellflower

Post Tue, Sep 21 2021, 4:43 pm
DarkGreen, can I ask you about your PTSD? Is it an official diagnosis? What are the symptoms?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children