Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
S/O: Am I the only one who would hate a gift of jewelry?
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 12:44 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
My husband will say I'd like to buy you something for birthday/etc and then I'll pick something out online. He love it that way because I will enjoy it and wear it and it totally comes from him because I never buy myself jewelry.

Arent online real jewelry prices way higher than in local stores?

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 1:12 pm
amother [ Pistachio ] wrote:
They specifically told him that.

IMNSHO, make sure that he never shops there again, and warn your friends. I've never heard of such a thing with "real" jewelry.

amother
Opal

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 1:24 pm
I wouldn’t hate it; I’d just appreciate something else more. I love looking at jewellery, but wearing it not so much. over the years I’ve given away most of mine, first to nieces, then to dds then to ddils and finally to granddaughters. I have only a little bit left and can’t wait to give the rest away. .

Giving me a gift of jewellery now is really giving it to my descendants.

amother
Pistachio

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 1:27 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
IMNSHO, make sure that he never shops there again, and warn your friends. I've never heard of such a thing with "real" jewelry.

We’ve actually been happy there. Half a year ago he told me he wanted to buy a ring for me, and we went in together and I’ve been so happy with the ring we purchased.

He decided to risk surprising me. I decided I don’t want to risk hurting his feelings. So I’ll keep my mouth shut and express gratitude. Maybe in a few months I’ll mention that I prefer jewelry shopping together.
(They irritate me when I lay down with them and they touch my face. Luckily when I wear them about during the day, not laying down, they feel fine. So they need a bit of TLC, which is not my go-to, but it’s not the end of the world.)

amother
Pistachio

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 1:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Depends for what. Truth is I never bought jewelry online but there was a certain bracelet I thought I might like. Or I’ll buy clothing online, accessories etc.

amother
Raspberry

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 1:31 pm
amother [ Leaf ] wrote:
Is it awkward with the $ part? Does he tell you in advance what he’s looking to spend? How do you what to choose?

No. He’s my husband lol. Why would it be awkward?

We discuss the price point beforehand. If there is something we both love a bit higher the agreed price then he usually says- let’s get that.

essie14

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 1:33 pm
I wouldn't hate it, but the chances are high that it wouldn't be my taste, and there's are 100 other things I'd rather get.
I picked out my engagement ring setting and my wedding band. DH asked what I would like when I had a baby and he bought me diamond studs. He hasn't bought me any other jewelry. When occasions come up, he will ask what I want, and it's never jewelry. It could be a spa day or some other experience.
I would rather go away with DH than get a bracelet.

If I see a piece of jewelry I like I'll just buy it for myself, which is what I did when I was single. I have some gorgeous pieces and I don't really need anything new.

essie14

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 1:59 pm
Duplicate post

amother
Birch

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 2:06 pm
I don't enjoy jewelry, at all.
I have a friend who's heavy into jewelry.
I suspect she projects her own enjoyment of jewelry onto me, cuz she occasionally gifts me with a piece of jewelry.
I pass it along to another friend, or to my daughters if any of them want it, or it goes to trash.
If she'd get me a gift certificate at a jewelry place, I'd do the same- pass it along, or trash it.

Jewelry is meaningless to me.

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 3:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Not at all- a Dior bracelet will cost the same online and in store for example.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 4:11 pm
I don't like jewelry in general, I'm just not that into it. I don't like flowers either. I like books, tickets to a Broadway show or a sports game, a meal at a really fancy restaurant (not the kind of place you'd go to often). So I've been clear with dh from the start since early on, and BH, he's glad for it! He considers himself really lucky that a) my list of "can't go wrong" gifts is so clear and simple and b) while not cheap, still costs a lot less than a decent piece of jewelry costs.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics