Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Orange Chicken

Amarante

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 11:55 am
This was a very good version of the iconic Orange Chicken American-Chinese recipe.

I didn't make the individual "nuggets" but I used it as a sauce for breaded cutlets. Easier to make and a bit healthier since there is less fat and breading and more chicken. I used my regular recipe with panko. The sauce also relies mostly on orange juice for flavor and so isn't intensely sweet like many recipes for this dish.

If you want to make the recipe with nuggets, breading with cornstarch gives it a lighter texture - cornstarch.

Orange Chicken

Excerpt From: Eric Wareheim - FOODHEIM

MAKES 4 SERVINGS

The orange chicken from Panda Express was one of my first food crushes. Cravings still hit, even today…. Usually it’s late-night and I find myself Googling “panda express near me.” But then I catch myself and realize I’m being a bad boy and I don’t want a stomachache and I can make an amazing version at home, using happy chickens and tons of fresh ginger and fresh orange juice. These days I forgo the Mountain Dew and instead pair my orange chicken with a crisp Riesling. The long, salty finish of the wine with this deep, dank citrus sauce is what I live for.

Chicken

2 eggs
1 cup cornstarch
½ cup all-purpose flour
Kosher salt and freshly ground white pepper
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
Neutral oil for frying

Orange Sauce

1 tablespoon neutral oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1-inch knob ginger, minced
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
⅔ cup fresh orange juice, plus more as needed
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons soy sauce, plus more as needed
1 tablespoon unseasoned rice vinegar
1 tablespoon Sriracha, plus more as needed
1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
1 tablespoon packed dark brown sugar, plus more as needed
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons water
Cooked white rice for serving
2 green onions, thinly sliced
Sesame seeds for garnish
1 orange, cut into wedges

➊ Set two wire racks on top of two baking sheets.

➋ In a large bowl, lightly beat the eggs with a fork. In a separate large bowl, combine the 1 cup cornstarch and the flour and season with a pinch each of salt and white pepper. Season the chicken with salt and white pepper, then coat the pieces in the egg, toss them in the cornstarch mixture, and shake to remove any excess. Transfer to a prepared rack and set aside.

➌ In a Dutch oven or a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat, warm 1 inch of oil to 350°F. Working in batches so as not to crowd the pan, add the chicken and fry until it is cooked through and crispy, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to the second rack to drain.

➍ To make the sauce: In a medium saucepan over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes and sauté just until aromatic, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the ⅔ cup orange juice, the lemon juice, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, vinegar, 1 tablespoon Sriracha, hoisin, and 1 tablespoon brown sugar; stir to combine; and bring to a simmer. Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed. If you feel the sauce needs to be juicier, add a bit more orange juice; saltier, add a bit more soy sauce; spicier, add a bit more Sriracha; sweeter, add a bit more brown sugar.

➎ In a small bowl, whisk together the 1 tablespoon cornstarch with the water. Slowly drizzle this into the sauce, whisking gently to combine, and continue to simmer until the sauce has thickened into a syrupy but still pourable glaze, about 3 minutes more.

➏ In a mixing bowl, coat the fried chicken pieces with the sauce.

➐ Divide the rice among four bowls, top with the chicken, and garnish with the green onions and sesame seeds. Serve with orange wedges on the side.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 3:26 pm
I replace the sugar and orange juice with marmalade, and it comes out amazing every time.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey