Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Would you send your children to cheder/school chol hamoed?
1  2  Next

Would you send your children to cheder/school chol hamoed if offered?
Yes!  
 24%  [ 48 ]
No, we like to have time as a family for trips or vacatiob  
 37%  [ 75 ]
No, I want them home now  
 10%  [ 21 ]
Yes, the boys but not the girls  
 1%  [ 3 ]
Yes, for a short program or some days  
 26%  [ 52 ]
Something else  
 0%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 200

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 3:07 pm
Why or why not?

mha3484

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 3:15 pm
I would send for limudei kodesh if they made it fun and exciting. Afternoon general studies no way. A few hours of structure and some torah learning is great. A whole day nah its yomtov even if I have to work and we cant go on trips.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 3:48 pm
I'm a teacher so I wouldn't have a choice because if they have school I have work. (and I guarantee the schools will give their staff a harder time about using vacation time to take off chil hamoed than your employer would)

amother
Thistle

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 3:51 pm
I think it's great for the kids to have some structure and some tochen to their day. It's much harder to enforce that at home.

I voted for "short program" though, because I think it's good to have family time on Chol Hamoed. A program till 12:00 or so would leave plenty of time for family trips or togetherness, but still make sure that kids are starting off the day on the right foot.

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 3:57 pm
amother [ Thistle ] wrote:
I think it's great for the kids to have some structure and some tochen to their day. It's much harder to enforce that at home.

I voted for "short program" though, because I think it's good to have family time on Chol Hamoed. A program till 12:00 or so would leave plenty of time for family trips or togetherness, but still make sure that kids are starting off the day on the right foot.

Sorry, this is the parents responsibility, not the schools. The school isn't responsible for your kids to have structure and tochen on yom tov. And it's not the end of the world if kids don't have structure on yom tov.

gingleale

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 3:57 pm
Yup. In the past our elementary has had school on chol hamoed and it is fantastic. They run fun programs for the kids and parents who have to work don't need to stress about vacation days and child care.

amother
Thistle

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 4:02 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
Sorry, this is the parents responsibility, not the schools. The school isn't responsible for your kids to have structure and tochen on yom tov. And it's not the end of the world if kids don't have structure on yom tov.

I don't think it's the school's RESPONSIBILITY, it's not their responsibility to be mechanech my children either. That's on me. However, I do outsource some of the practical implementation to them, and pay for that.

Considering that my kids kvetch and moan about davening and learning at home, but do the same in school without a whimper, I'd love to have them daven and learn in school for a short time on Chol Hamoed.

I'm not demanding it, but the premise of this thread was if we think it is a good idea, and I do.

amother
Lotus

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 4:02 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:

Chill. She never said anything about the end of the world, she just said would be nice if the kids had structure and learning

tweety1

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 4:06 pm
Definitely the boys for a few hours. The girls I'm not sure about but I don't think so.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 4:12 pm
My kids are bored, so yea I would.

amother
Mintgreen

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 4:35 pm
1) 1/2 days are the worst for working parents. Either The kid is in school or I make alternative arrangements (most babysitters (and our grandma) don’t drive). 1/2 a day with no busing is impossible.
2) When I went to elementary school, 100 years ago, was a succah hop to the principal’s house, donuts and chocolate milk in the sukkah, a simchat Beit Hasoeva, a build your own succah out of graham crackers, pretzels, sour straws…, Tales or the Maggid like stories, art projects, and more. It was the stuff of memories.

If you family is going on a trip, take the kid so that are not left out, but why wouldn’t you send to school on a day like that?

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 4:37 pm
I'm a single mom who works fully time and usually must work on chol hamoed. I'd totally send my kids if there were school those days.

bsy

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 4:46 pm
No. I'm usually out of town for yom tov and my kids would be absent

little neshamala

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 5:14 pm
No, I enjoy making chol hamoed about family time

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 5:29 pm
I have a relative who is a school administrator. She jokes that if an overnight school program was offered, it would be full in 5 seconds...

I (a full-time working mom) voted no. YT is a time to spend with family.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 5:36 pm
I take off from work on Chol Hamoed so I'm happy to spend time with my kids and glad they don't have school. I have my own business and my Rav said I'm not allowed to open on Chol Hamoed. I do the things I'm allowed to do like answering emails and sending quotes...

cuties' mom

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 5:36 pm
I send my autistic kid to school children hamoed. I work, and I like knowing that ds is safe and supervised. I see no reason not to send.

amother
Quince

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 5:37 pm
My daughter is supposed to start public school day she turned 3 which was last week. Was so tempted to send her today but just gonna wait till after YT

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 5:41 pm
Yes. DH is in a intense doctorate program and is out all day. I love my kids and don’t resent spending time with them. I actually love it. But they need to “do something” is very stressful. Bh I have 3 kids and I can’t brave a packed place with just me and the kids. It’s not safe. I spend the whole day trying to give them a good time at home and make up for it but it’s a drop pathetic...

Sesame

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 5:48 pm
Chol hamoed is not a normal day. One would need to check with their lor what the problems may be. Ppl shouldn’t earn money chol hamoed (there are exceptions obviously) which would mean we are requiring teachers admin etc to all work on chm. One can’t write or do Divrei chol so it may be hard halachicly for schools to be open. I think in any line of business one has to check if they can require staff to work.
But honestly, have we really gotten to a stage where ppl think school needs to be open over yom tov?! Honestly shocked!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics