Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Babysitter + cleaning help

kineret

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 2:51 pm
My baby is 6 weeks old, and I’m starting to think about childcare for her when I go back to work in November. In the past, I’ve sent my kids to a babysitting group, but would love to find a relatively affordable babysitter who could also clean while the baby is sleeping. It would be part time (till about 3). Does anyone have any recommendations? I’m in Flatbush.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 3:16 pm
Same!

My baby is a bit younger though.

I Don't even know where to start!

I need till 4 at least though

amother
Stone

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 3:46 pm
I have done that in the past. For me having someone Jewish wasn't a priority since I have found that usually wasn't possible to find. Instead I asked the cleaning help I had, and at times other people's cleaning help, if they knew anyone who would babysit and clean for me. I would then have them come for a paid day to see if it worked for me- if I liked the way they watched the baby more so then I worried about the cleaning. Being that my husband and I both had jobs where we would go into the house at random times each day I was never too concerned.
Be ready though to pay a pretty penny. For us I figured it was worth not having the hassle of taking and picking up the baby, and I would have anyhow needed cleaning help at least 3 times a week so I didnt consider it such a huge expense...

amother
Green

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 6:52 am
amother [ Stone ] wrote:
I have done that in the past. For me having someone Jewish wasn't a priority since I have found that usually wasn't possible to find. Instead I asked the cleaning help I had, and at times other people's cleaning help, if they knew anyone who would babysit and clean for me. I would then have them come for a paid day to see if it worked for me- if I liked the way they watched the baby more so then I worried about the cleaning. Being that my husband and I both had jobs where we would go into the house at random times each day I was never too concerned.
Be ready though to pay a pretty penny. For us I figured it was worth not having the hassle of taking and picking up the baby, and I would have anyhow needed cleaning help at least 3 times a week so I didnt consider it such a huge expense...

1) did she do deep cleaning? (Like the bathroom weekly, and the stove or fridge occasionally?)
2) what does a pretty penny mean? Can you give an approximate of how much that is?

I am debating adding another baby for some of the time and only having her do light cleaning such as wiping counters and table and vacuuming and folding laundry and changing linen & have someone else for bathroom and scrubbing...
Thanks

amother
Stone

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 8:09 am
She did deep cleaning too, however as it depended on my child- who wasn't the easiest of babies- the amount of cleaning she got through varied by the day. I was also happy for her to take a breather and not do anything when my child was finally quiet after giving her a hard morning since I felt that was important so that she doesnt burn out. Do have in mind that for your child's well being you can't set the expectation of work too high so if having everything perfect is a priority for you then yes you may be better off having 2 babies and less cleaning, but it may be harder to find someone that would accept that job.

Edited to add: I needed to higher her for all the hours she was looking to work which ended up from 8-5. Price was then the same as the going rate for cleaning help in my neighborhood was- it was actually a dollar more at that time for the woman I chose but I was so fed up with ppl not showing up when they said they would that I agreed to her asking rate. I did explain then that I really wouldnt be able to go any higher for a really long time since I was already extending myself. She ended up coming earlier than we had agreed upon based on her car ride and I paid her for that time too. When she asked me for a raise less than 3 month later I told her that I already started off at a higher rate, added more timing based on when she was able to get there, and that I couldn't afford more. I also explained that if she was working by multiple families they may be able to afford that and if she wanted to look for a different job I completely understood.

amother
Holly

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 8:19 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:
1) did she do deep cleaning? (Like the bathroom weekly, and the stove or fridge occasionally?)
2) what does a pretty penny mean? Can you give an approximate of how much that is?

I am debating adding another baby for some of the time and only having her do light cleaning such as wiping counters and table and vacuuming and folding laundry and changing linen & have someone else for bathroom and scrubbing...
Thanks

Usually a babysitter who also cleans only does lighter cleaning.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 8:42 am
amother [ Holly ] wrote:
Usually a babysitter who also cleans only does lighter cleaning.

This is what we have too. Our nanny does light cleaning / tidying, and we have a specialized cleaner come in for a deep clean once per week.

amother
Freesia

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 10:12 am
I did this, it’s definitely a very nice option if you can afford it. My housekeeper worked from 8:30-4:30 every day and a shorter day on Friday, she cleaned my apartment thoroughly and watched my baby for two years. If your place isn’t that big she should be able to get all the cleaning done. It might be more challenging when the baby is a bit younger and more high maintenance. I paid the going rate for cleaning.

amother
Stone

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 1:58 pm
Keep in mind that a babysitter wont want to do proper cleaning, but I have found that a cleaning woman (only those who like kids) will be okay doing proper cleaning and watching the baby- again not everything may get done if you have lots of other kids like I did and a big home.

kineret

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 2:16 pm
That’s a great point. Did you find cleaning help who happened to be okay watching your baby? Trying to figure out how to find someone

amother
Freesia

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 2:24 pm
kineret wrote:
That’s a great point. Did you find cleaning help who happened to be okay watching your baby? Trying to figure out how to find someone

It’s quite standard in my community. Find a cleaner, get some references, before you hire her explain that your expectations will be cleaning + childcare and what that entails. Leave some flexibility in the cleaning department so that you can ensure the priority is a well cared for baby. If she’s up for that great, if not, find someone who is.

kineret

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 4:30 pm
Cool, thanks for your help!! I hope it works out for me

amother
Holly

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 4:46 pm
amother [ Freesia ] wrote:
It’s quite standard in my community. Find a cleaner, get some references, before you hire her explain that your expectations will be cleaning + childcare and what that entails. Leave some flexibility in the cleaning department so that you can ensure the priority is a well cared for baby. If she’s up for that great, if not, find someone who is.

Generally you have to pay more if you want both.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries