Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
My one year old broke his femur bone
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 12:33 am
Did anyone ever have this?
My baby broke his femur from a simple fall.
He fell off a couch onto a carpeted rug.
I couldn't imagine that he broke anything.
Im traumatized that his femur is broken.
He has a cast from his toes all the way up to his diaper.

amother
Oleander

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 12:34 am
oy! sending you and your precious baby a big hug and refuah shleima

happyone

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 12:40 am
A femur bone is a hard bone to break. I would ask my orthopedist to check for brittle bone or OI. Poor baby and mommy. It's a tough age to be casted.

Stars

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 12:42 am
happyone wrote:
A femur bone is a hard bone to break. I would ask my orthopedist to check for brittle bone or OI. Poor baby and mommy. It's a tough age to be casted.

My thoughts as well
Hugs mama ❤️

amother
Snow

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 12:51 am
My friends baby fell from a high chair and broke a femur. It's mandatory cps in NYS. The woman was nice and case closed. What does the baby's doctor say? Poor thing but she will be fine IYH.

amother
Acacia

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 1:11 am
amother [ Snow ] wrote:
My friends baby fell from a high chair and broke a femur. It's mandatory cps in NYS. The woman was nice and case closed. What does the baby's doctor say? Poor thing but she will be fine IYH.

In NJ used to be. Drs sometimes still report and can cause huge issues for families.

familyfirst

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 1:17 am
Had this with my then two year old

Slept on a sofa- with head elevated,
Wore older brothers sweat pants- larger waist band and rolled up bottom
Ate in a high chair
Bathing was a two person ordeal- I held him on my lap while another adult washed hair etc (couldn’t put him in water)

At end he learned how to crawl with it

Be warned that once cast comes off the skin underneath will peel, and the leg will look thinner. It’ll be sensitive for a while

Not great memories but got past it.
Good luck! It’ll be OK!

♥️

amother
Opal

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 2:03 am
My grandchild has juvenile arthritis, diagnosed around age 8 but definitely had before then. He broke his femur as a toddler. There is a correlation between a young child breaking the femur and later developing JIA. As your child grows older, please be aware that limited wrist motion, inability to sit crossed-legged on the floor, to run well, etc., may all be indicative of JIA.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 2:49 am
It's the easiest bone for a baby to break and for some reason, hospitals consider it an automatic CPS case. If you ever suspect a broken femur, go to an orthopedist, not to the emergency room!
My friend went through hell from CPS because of her baby's broken femur - and and it cost her tens of thousands of dollars in lawyer's fees to get her case cleared.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 6:20 am
I did it. Also on carpet. My mother wanted to dress me. I had no interest. I squirmed away. Twisted "just right" and that was that. Bh no cps involved 40 years ago. My mother actually had trouble getting doctors to take her seriously because I wasn't crying just refused to bear weight on it (I was an early walker but suddenly refused) Finally got an orthopedist to take an xray a few days later.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 6:28 am
My friends baby broke a femur from falling from a chair to the floor

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 10:16 am
amother [ NeonPurple ] wrote:
It's the easiest bone for a baby to break and for some reason, hospitals consider it an automatic CPS case. If you ever suspect a broken femur, go to an orthopedist, not to the emergency room!
My friend went through hell from CPS because of her baby's broken femur - and and it cost her tens of thousands of dollars in lawyer's fees to get her case cleared.

Completely untrue, it is unusual to have a break in the femur. Maybe you are thinking of the tibia.

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 10:16 am
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
I did it. Also on carpet. My mother wanted to dress me. I had no interest. I squirmed away. Twisted "just right" and that was that. Bh no cps involved 40 years ago. My mother actually had trouble getting doctors to take her seriously because I wasn't crying just refused to bear weight on it (I was an early walker but suddenly refused) Finally got an orthopedist to take an xray a few days later.

That sounds like a spiral fracture of the tibia.

pgk

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 10:59 am
Not femur but y son broke his tib/fib at 2 yrs old and was casted from toes to hip. Wasn’t fun but kids are resilient he was walking on the cast within a couple of days, but limped for a long while after cast was removed

shanie5

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 9:44 pm
happyone wrote:

It's not as unusual or as hard to break a femur as people think. My sister has 2 boys who both broke their femurs. 1 at school and 1 at my house (just in case anyone thinks she is abusive, she was not there either time). My cousins son broke his femur. Another friends son broke his femur.
It doesn't mean brittle bone syndrom. It happens more often than you think.

OP-it's actually better that he broke it this young a the younger they are the easier, faster and better it heals.

amother
Gardenia

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 10:12 pm
Someone was holding my baby and tripped with her. My baby broke her femur. I went to an orthopedist and Bh the foot healed quickly and cps was never involved

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 10:17 pm
shanie5 wrote:
It's not as unusual or as hard to break a femur as people think. My sister has 2 boys who both broke their femurs. 1 at school and 1 at my house (just in case anyone thinks she is abusive, she was not there either time). My cousins son broke his femur. Another friends son broke his femur.
It doesn't mean brittle bone syndrom. It happens more often than you think.

OP-it's actually better that he broke it this young a the younger they are the easier, faster and better it heals.

It is a less common fracture and can be a red flag.

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 10:18 pm
I hear there is a correlation between kids breaking their femur and their mothers having taken Zantac during pregnancy but it's purely anecdotal. Happened to a few people I know.

shanie5

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 10:19 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
It is a less common fracture and can be a red flag.

It's a less commoj fracture than a wrist or an arm, but it's still not that uncommon. And any fracture can be a red flag-or a simple accident.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 10:23 pm
amother [ Gardenia ] wrote:
Someone was holding my baby and tripped with her. My baby broke her femur. I went to an orthopedist and Bh the foot healed quickly and cps was never involved

How long was ur baby in cast?
Did she have her cast up to the diaper area or higher up from the waist down?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics