Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
If you use 1 stove for milch and fleishigs

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 24 2021, 1:18 pm
What do you use to clean? Do you have a designated "treif" sponge and where do you keep it? Or do you use a new sponge each time and throw out every day?

amother
Firethorn

Post Fri, Sep 24 2021, 1:21 pm
I have a sponge I only use for my stovetop, and keep it in a under the sink. All my other dish sponges are in a drawer next to the sink so there’s no confusion. Also my stovetop sponge is a random color I don’t get for my dish sponges

Though most of the time I end up just using steel wool and paper towels anyways

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Sep 24 2021, 1:21 pm
Wipes. Also, I tear off little bits of steel wool. Shmattas that get washed in hot water.

happy chick

Post Fri, Sep 24 2021, 1:32 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Wipes. Also, I tear off little bits of steel wool. Shmattas that get washed in hot water.

Same. And paper towel.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 24 2021, 1:44 pm
Steel wool scratches the stove top

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Sep 24 2021, 1:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

It's a risk I take.
AFAIK you should be able to use one sponge. The heat from the burner kashers the grate. But CYLOR.

amother
Valerian

Post Fri, Sep 24 2021, 2:07 pm
Old washcloths and water. baking soda or Bon Ami for stubborn spots. The washcloths get thrown in the wash after use. Anything hot that falls onto the porcelain surface gets discarded. Really anything at all that falls onto the porcelain unless both the anything and the porcelain are stone cold.

ETA I hang the washcloth on the oven handle to dry and change it once a week or when it gets grody, whichever comes first. After grilling eggplant which leaks all over the place it takes three or four and they all get grody.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Sep 24 2021, 2:13 pm
I have a portable induction stovetop (glass). I unplug it, and then put some hot water on a paper towel and wipe it down. Don't plug it back in until you are 100% sure that it's dry, and you didn't get any water underneath it or on the cord.

For some reason it comes absolutely clean, even if something is burned on. It's brilliant, and I'll never have another stovetop again.

It can't be kashered for Pesach, but I can buy another one at a reasonable price. They go on sale about 3 weeks before Pesach.

fish

Post Fri, Sep 24 2021, 3:57 pm
I use Mr clean magic eraser. Makes my stainless stove top look new.

essie14

Post Sat, Sep 25 2021, 1:29 pm
amother [ Firethorn ] wrote:
I have a sponge I only use for my stovetop, and keep it in a under the sink. All my other dish sponges are in a drawer next to the sink so there’s no confusion. Also my stovetop sponge is a random color I don’t get for my dish sponges

Same.

etky

Post Sat, Sep 25 2021, 4:38 pm
amother [ Firethorn ] wrote:

Same.
Though I only use the sponge for heavy cleanup.
Usually it's enough to just wipe the stove down with a dampened paper towel and maybe a drop of dish soap. It's a ceramic cooktop.

amother
Garnet

Post Sat, Sep 25 2021, 9:51 pm
Shmattahs or my treif/non-food sponge. I always have 1 that’s for non food items.

Magic eraser is also good, cuz no one will use it on dishes by mistake.

Ema of 5

Post Sat, Sep 25 2021, 9:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What do you use to clean? Do you have a designated "treif" sponge and where do you keep it? Or do you use a new sponge each time and throw out every day?

Paper towels

Ema of 5

Post Sat, Sep 25 2021, 10:00 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I have a portable induction stovetop (glass). I unplug it, and then put some hot water on a paper towel and wipe it down. Don't plug it back in until you are 100% sure that it's dry, and you didn't get any water underneath it or on the cord.

For some reason it comes absolutely clean, even if something is burned on. It's brilliant, and I'll never have another stovetop again.

It can't be kashered for Pesach, but I can buy another one at a reasonable price. They go on sale about 3 weeks before Pesach.

Why in the world was this comment reported?????

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 8:48 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I just realized, my stove top's not stainless.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen