Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Let's discuss -Yiddishe Gelt- the mishpacha supplement
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

amother
NeonGreen

Post Fri, Sep 24 2021, 1:10 pm
small bean wrote:
You can also be paying 1k a month..

I pay less than 1800 a month and have 4500 sqft.

Things are possible if youre open to possibilities

What possibilities? I don’t mean to be snarky, just trying to understand. The options as I see them are:

Basement: many people cannot live in basements for health reasons (personally I go slightly bonkers if I can’t see the sun many hours of the day, which means I might save $ in rent but have to pay $ in therapy or other things to make up for lack of sun a 1k basement apt would not have)

Tiny house or apartment: again, save money upfront on rent, but then have to pay money to deal with all the issues that rise up when you try to cram a large family into three bedrooms with no space. Everything has a cost!!!!

gentile neighborhood, no Jewish neighbors to raise price: my family is old enough that kids need Jewish friends, shul within walking distance, snd Jewish atmosphere (I don’t mind having gentile neighbors but I need at least some Jews.) non negotiable.

Out, out of town small community: hubby not likely get the sort of job he would need for us to survive (my job is mobile but his isnt). Kosher food also more expensive, possibly higher tuition as well.

Living in a trailer: see above re: neighborhood (most states require you to live in trailer parks) and space constraints.

What am I missing???

We pay 2k mortgage on a 2500 square foot 50 year old+ house and are endlessly grateful to have that luxury (even if it’s getting a tad small we make it work.)

We also pay 1700 a month in healthcare premiums but that is a different kettle of fish

Citing 1k for housing costs sounds fabulously unapproachable.

small bean

Post Sat, Sep 25 2021, 8:54 pm
My brotherd has a 4 bedroom split level home on a completley frum block. His mortgage is 958 a month.

There are variables in every conversation. People have to look at themselves. I cant tell anyone how to spend because I dont know you.

allthingsblue

Post Sat, Sep 25 2021, 8:57 pm
amother [ NeonGreen ] wrote:
What possibilities? I don’t mean to be snarky, just trying to understand. The options as I see them are:

Basement: many people cannot live in basements for health reasons (personally I go slightly bonkers if I can’t see the sun many hours of the day, which means I might save $ in rent but have to pay $ in therapy or other things to make up for lack of sun a 1k basement apt would not have)

Tiny house or apartment: again, save money upfront on rent, but then have to pay money to deal with all the issues that rise up when you try to cram a large family into three bedrooms with no space. Everything has a cost!!!!

gentile neighborhood, no Jewish neighbors to raise price: my family is old enough that kids need Jewish friends, shul within walking distance, snd Jewish atmosphere (I don’t mind having gentile neighbors but I need at least some Jews.) non negotiable.

Out, out of town small community: hubby not likely get the sort of job he would need for us to survive (my job is mobile but his isnt). Kosher food also more expensive, possibly higher tuition as well.

Living in a trailer: see above re: neighborhood (most states require you to live in trailer parks) and space constraints.

What am I missing???

We pay 2k mortgage on a 2500 square foot 50 year old+ house and are endlessly grateful to have that luxury (even if it’s getting a tad small we make it work.)

We also pay 1700 a month in healthcare premiums but that is a different kettle of fish

Citing 1k for housing costs sounds fabulously unapproachable.

Agreed.

Add in today’s skyrocketing housing and rental prices and it becomes even more unapproachable.

amother
Daffodil

Post Sat, Sep 25 2021, 9:10 pm
small bean wrote:
My brotherd has a 4 bedroom split level home on a completley frum block. His mortgage is 958 a month.

There are variables in every conversation. People have to look at themselves. I cant tell anyone how to spend because I dont know you.

Where did he find that? Or did he just manage a huge down payment?

keym

Post Sat, Sep 25 2021, 9:13 pm
amother [ Daffodil ] wrote:
Where did he find that? Or did he just manage a huge down payment?

Also when did he buy that? More than 5 years ago? More than 10 years ago?

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Sat, Sep 25 2021, 10:28 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
Slightly off topic, but this completely freaked me out after reading the supplement:
I saw an ad in one of the other magazines for a baby supply store advertising that they had Doonas available. Beneath the illustration and the copy were the small words: FINANCING AVAILABLE.
If we live in a society where people think it's normal to FINANCE a luxury stroller, we're all in big trouble.
Thoughts?

I was in the jewelry store and they showed me a bracelet which I said I loved but it was too expensive. Without skipping a beat the owner offers "we do financing". 🤔.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Sat, Sep 25 2021, 10:38 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
Slightly off topic, but this completely freaked me out after reading the supplement:
I saw an ad in one of the other magazines for a baby supply store advertising that they had Doonas available. Beneath the illustration and the copy were the small words: FINANCING AVAILABLE.
If we live in a society where people think it's normal to FINANCE a luxury stroller, we're all in big trouble.
Thoughts?
I have a relative deeply in debt. Another relative had pity gave her money to shop for the baby whatever she needs. she bought the Limited edition doona that costs $100 more because "she's not paying for it". A couple months later her husband asked us for money to "shop for the baby and her". She needs a regular stroller now I offered to buy her a good quality lightweight stroller (I can get it open box well priced) but she will only take a bugaboo bee. Yep those people will always get what they want but never have money. It's a mentality Us on the other hand... Have much less income, struggled for many years, did without, but bh now have savings, a career, and give them and others money to bail them out of mindless spending. I have miraculous seen "bderech shadam rotzei leileich molichim oso."

Reality

Post Sat, Sep 25 2021, 10:48 pm
small bean wrote:

Something is missing from this juicy tidbit you shared. Either he put down way more than an average down payment or he lucked out and bought on a block that became Jewish after he bought. Also, is that $1,000 mortgage including the taxes? I'm also assuming he bought his house quite a number of years ago.

amother
Kiwi

Post Sat, Sep 25 2021, 10:51 pm
small bean wrote:

Please tell me which block that is. Is this relevant for today's days? Highly doubt.

small bean

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 12:10 am
I didnt say where, its not in ny or lakewood. He put down 20%, a couple of years ago and yes it includes everything. My point was options are open to people.

People questioning mortg or rent under 1k, it is possible for a house
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics