Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Spinoff magazine ads vs content
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Sep 25 2021, 11:58 pm
Anyone else feel like a sucker for paying $$ for content beginning on page 130, (with almost every other page containing full ads thereafter?)

amother
Lightpink

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 12:01 am
It's annoying but reality is, ads are how they make money. They don't get much profit from newsstand sales or even subscribers (except that the charge for ads is dependent on their numbers).
However, I really don't look at the ads much. The only ones that catch my eye are the food ones, for some reason.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 12:02 am
amother [ Lightpink ] wrote:
It's annoying but reality is, ads are how they make money. They don't get much profit from newsstand sales or even subscribers (except that the charge for ads is dependent on their numbers).
However, I really don't look at the ads much. The only ones that catch my eye are the food ones, for some reason.

Right. So why are they charging $11?

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 12:04 am
You are paying for calligraphy. Other than that it doesn’t seem to be anything special.

amother
Lightpink

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 12:13 am
I'm old enough to remember when there were no frum magazines every week forget about YT. Just the Jewish Press.
I'm thankful that we have more options now, so I don't begrudge spending the money.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 12:21 am
For just a bit more, you can buy a book and be absorbed for hours.

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 12:21 am
I saw this meme erev YT someplace:

L'tovas hatzibbur, Ami Magazine begins on page 86 and Mishpacha Magazine on page 93.

amother
Lightpink

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 12:30 am
amother [ Cappuccino ] wrote:

I'm a fast reader and will usually finish the typical Jewish book in an hour or so....about the same amount of time it will take me to read thru a magazine's various sections cover to cover.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 12:37 am
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
I saw this meme erev YT someplace:

L'tovas hatzibbur, Ami Magazine begins on page 86 and Mishpacha Magazine on page 93.

How much do they charge for each? Curious which you get the most bang for your buck. I was annoyed as the price was not displayed on the magazine rack also.

Would have appreciated this meme prominently displayed!

amother
Cappuccino

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 12:41 am
I'm a fast reader and will usually finish the typical Jewish book in an hour or so....about the same amount of time it will take me to read thru a magazine's various sections cover to cover.

So buy real literature. You can get used classics for next to nothing. And they are a lot more spiritually and intellectually stimulating than a magazine.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 12:41 am
But without Jewish magazines, how would you be irate about women’s faces not being shown.

Sunny Days

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 1:14 am

That’s why the ads are there- turning all the pages to find some content kills so much time.
Sigh. I barely have time to read on shabbos/y’t, by the time I make it through the ads I’m needed and then when the next opportunity to read comes up I have to find the place I’m up to between all those ad pages... (loving that this is my challenge this y’t lol)

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 2:22 am
Besides for having to search for where it finally starts
(at page 130) the magazine is so heavy you can't just lay in bed and hold it with one hand. Officially you're not supposed to be reading ads on your or Shabbos. There needs to be a different solution. Perhaps charge a lot more per ad and only have a few. I don't need 4 or 6 ads for the housing in Schneller if I'm interested 1 will do the trick.

amother
Zinnia

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 2:25 am
And may I say better content since we are at it? More intellectually stimulating than the mystery of Doonas?

seeker

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 2:26 am
So much cynicism!

Between all the ads, there was still plenty to read, I "only" have two magazines and I know I won't get through all the content even with a Shabbos chol hamoed.

The cost for one magazine package is less than half the retail cost of one Jewish book. (Though if you took out the ads and their associated revenue that cost would multiply several times. Thank you, advertisers, please keep it up.)

It includes a nice bunch of reading material for my kids as well (they go through theirs a lot faster than me, but it's still a great thing to have for Yom tov, and again a fraction of the cost of a similar amount of book.)

It's split into sections so multiple family members can read at once.

It's readable by people who have a hard time focusing for the length of a book.

And yes, I do find it more stimulating than "classics" and I feel no intellectual inferiority over this. The fraction that I read so far included humor, emotion, inspiration, and information. And when an article didn't provide that, I could skip it without losing the entire thing (unlike chapters in the hallowed classics) or if I already read it and didn't gain from it, I only lost a few minutes (again unlike your tomes of choice.)

I hear the magazines this year were quite heavy so if you really hate them you can use them as a doorstop or maybe a bookend for your classics. According to the home decor column in Family First, this is a significant savings over other doorstop and bookend trends.

Elfrida

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 2:41 am
amother [ Cappuccino ] wrote:

I did that chesbon a couple of years back. I realized I was spending money on a magazine which on a good week was half read. By not buying the magazine I could buy one or two new books each month, that would not only be read from cover to cover, but would also be reread multiple times. (Not talking about Jewish novels.)

I buy magazines once in a while - sometimes for Yom Tov, sometimes because there is an interesting feature, or sometimes because I am travelling and don't want to have to worry about books. Overall, we are happier with the regular supply of new books than we were with magazines.

amother
Pistachio

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 4:07 am
I bought the magazines for chag just to offer guests although I never found them of interest. I skimmed through it and saw nothing of interest. I was quite dissapointed and have free advertising options where I live. So yes
I agree with posters charging 11 dollars when 130 pages are ads is highway robbery. And reading material is limited, subpar and they should verify their articles for accurate reporting.
I was horrified reading a certain portrayal of an article in one magazine describing a situation -being vague not to talk loshon horah ? While I, my child and my family are victims of said advertorial and living a total opposite scenario they portray. The authors should do research before taking responsibility to report on say organizations, ventures, schools, facilities , even yeshiva and camps that want to sell a good story. It's a responsibility and may be putting people into danger or difficult situations.
Vent over. So are purchasing jewish magazines.

amother
Dimgray

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 4:39 am
Love the articles and Calligraphy and all the supplements in Mishpacha. There are many well researched articles, especially in Mishpacha's main magazine. To say that there are no stimulating or well researched articles is straight up ridiculous.

I skip all the ads, no one looks at them. The real suckers are the businesses paying exorbitant prices for ads in the magazines when 99% of the people literally don't even glance at them.

amother
Navyblue

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 4:56 am
The magazines help me get through shabbos and YT. I am grateful.

amother
Calendula

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 6:09 am
Mishpacha mags from 10 years ago had hardly any ads and much much better content. It's just the way the world is going... gashmius, money, superficiality...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room