Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Story Supplements in the Yom Tov Magazines
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Bronze

Post Sat, Sep 25 2021, 11:57 pm
I thought the Mishpacha stories were great this year. The last one, about the daughter supporting her parents was very very powerful.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sat, Sep 25 2021, 11:59 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
The Ami starts at page 78.
Binah starts at page 63.

Mishpacha starts at page 126

amother
Springgreen

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 12:00 am
amother [ Darkblue ] wrote:
Lily in mishpacha made me bawl

So far that was the first and only story that pulled me to read . It was very very sad story

amother
Marigold

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 12:01 am
I loved the Hamodia the best. I think it was more well written then the others - it kept more the most engrossed.

Librarian

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 12:01 am
As a bookworm to the extreme I will read just about anything, and I enjoy to various extent almost all of these short story supplements. But I absolutely abhor the "Jewish" historic biblical fiction and the"Jewish" sci-fi short stories sometimes printed.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 12:05 am
I don't even bother anymore with the sci fi stuff--just doesn't work with a frum setting/characters. And I've read too many rip-offs of secular sci fi/dystopian books in the frum publications which bug me, as it's too close to plagiarism for my liking. (Unless it's an obvious spoof.)
The biblical historical can be good *if* they are written very well. (They usually aren't.)

Librarian

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 12:07 am
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
I don't even bother anymore with the sci fi stuff--just doesn't work with a frum setting/characters. And I've read too many rip-offs of secular sci fi/dystopian books in the frum publications which bug me, as it's too close to plagiarism for my liking. (Unless it's an obvious spoof.)
The biblical historical can be good *if* they are written very well. (They usually aren't.)

Yes, my sentiments exactly about the sci-fi! As for the biblical historical fiction I can't even stomach reading it at all lol

Last edited by Librarian on Sun, Sep 26 2021, 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total

Crookshanks

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 12:07 am
Librarian wrote:
As a bookworm to the extreme I will read just about anything, and I enjoy to various extent almost all of these short story supplements. But I absolutely abhor the "Jewish" historic biblical fiction and the"Jewish" sci-fi short stories sometimes printed.

Haha yes me too especially in the pesach story supplements with names like "Nitza" and "Geulah."

Librarian

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 12:13 am
Whenever I see those genres in the supplements I assume the editors needed filler.

dena613

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 12:15 am
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
I thought the Mishpacha stories were great this year. The last one, about the daughter supporting her parents was very very powerful.

I read it and thought,
Wow, sounds like imamother!!!!

amother
DarkGreen

I liked the B Myndi story in Binah

allthingsblue

I also skip all sci fi and historical biblical fiction.

I enjoy well done historical fiction such as Leah Gebber’s and Miriam Zakon’s serials. (And Scotty’s Full Harvest of course)

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 12:16 am
I think the last time I read very good biblical historical fiction was the book No Greater Treasure by Shoshana Lepon which was probably published 25 years ago.

amother
Azalea

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 12:17 am
I read only the Ami supplement, there were a few good ones there. I also enjoyed reading the spotlight mag supplement. Go figure.

amother
Mocha

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 1:59 am
The story "so natural" in hamodia was shocking!! It was a satire and it really got the point across.
I couldn't believe they printed such a string story.
A married woman getting a shidduch because of her lace wig...

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 2:43 am
The Lily story in the Mishpacha was very hard to read. It made me so angry at the parents for the way they were treating their daughter and the way they snuck her away without letting Millie say goodbye. True that's how it was in the olden days but still very upsetting to read.

The last story about the girl supporting her parents, two comments:
1. The premise of the girl was incorrect. She thinks that if she moved to NY she will be able to save money? She isn't factoring in the costs of renting an apartment and all the ancillary coats of living on one's own. At home she has no car- she gets to share her parents car, she doesnt pay rent, food etc. So now she pays for a few things here and there- does she really think it will be cheaper to live on her own?

The second thought I had is of my father who talks about taking a job at 12 years old, at a bicycle repair shop, coming home each week and proudly handing all of his money to his mother. He talks about how much pride he felt in being able to contribute to family expenses. Ecen today, in some parts of the world, money that is earned by a child still living at home goes towards family expenses. Today we have come so far from that, parents are not only expected to support single children but often married children as well.

It's true that when a child gives parents money, it takes away from some of the parental authority but that is only because today the expectation is such that parents have to support even adult children, and chas veshalom that children should contribute to family expenses. So when the parents cant cover all the expense, and the child resentfully steps in to "save the day" it creates that imbalance.

sallysaucer

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 2:51 am
I was very disappointed with the hamodia supplement. The stories all had very obvious morals, and I felt that they just wanted to give us some mussar...

amother
Banana

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 2:57 am
Calligraphy is always amazing, loved all of them. (Besides the Lilly one which was too sad)

proudmomma

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 2:59 am
I didn't get to read much, but , the historical fiction in the Ami really got to me. I ugly cried. It was so sad. My husband says that the Gemorah mentions that is was quite common unfortunately for fathers to sell their children. We are so far removed BH from understanding that level of poverty.
It made me feel so grateful for my tiny apartment that we can BH afford to pay the rent for.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 3:02 am
I liked the second story in the Ami collection.

I never understood how a father could possibly sell his daughter. The Torah allows it and discusses it, and I could never fathom the whole parasha. This story really brought it to life. I really appreciated it.

EtA: I see I cross posted with the previous poster.
Page 2 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room