Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Spinoff magazine ads vs content
Previous  1  2

amother
Dimgray

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 6:54 am
amother [ Pistachio ] wrote:

I was horrified reading a certain portrayal of an article in one magazine describing a situation -being vague not to talk loshon horah ? While I, my child and my family are victims of said advertorial and living a total opposite scenario they portray.

Being that you admitted to only skimming and never actually reading through the magazine this example is akin to a child biting into a strawberry, not liking the taste, therefore never eating any red fruit ever again.
I'm sorry the advertorial regarding situation you and your child are in was portrayed in a positive light in the magazine. No need to throw tomatoes at the entire magazine industry.
I skimmed the encyclopedia Britannica, found nothing that "pulled me", therefore the whole thing is garbage. LOL

amother
Papayawhip

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 7:49 am
amother [ Pistachio ] wrote:

The authors should do research before taking responsibility to report on say organizations, ventures, schools, facilities , even yeshiva and camps that want to sell a good story.

Are you talking about the magazine doing research on each advertisement before printing it?
That would hike up the price to a lot more than $11. And is pretty much impossible.

bsy

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 8:25 am
I like skimming the ads, seeing what's out there. It has no bearing on my life. I enjoy most of the articles and like having material to read weekly. I think everyone needs to chill. Its known that the yt editions have many more ads. It's not new. There are still more articles than the regular weekly ones.

amother
Iris

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 8:38 am
What stands out to me is that so many of the ads are advertising lifestyle products and experiences in a way that is the total antithesis of the values that the actual content is trying to convey. Don't get me wrong...I'm pretty materialistic myself but the dissonance strikes me every time.

1ofbillions

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 8:45 am
Am I the only person that likes looking through the ads? My family has fun analyzing the marketing strategies.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 9:02 am
The magazines DO have more content. I subscribe so I'm not presented with sticker shock. In the past I did used to buy yom tov editions of magazines we didn't subscribe to; I guess that it's gone up enough to give anyone serious pause.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 9:10 am
amother [ Dimgray ] wrote:

I skip all the ads, no one looks at them. The real suckers are the businesses paying exorbitant prices for ads in the magazines when 99% of the people literally don't even glance at them.

Based on the number of threads started recently on Imamother, horrified that certain ads were deemed appropriate to publish, there are obviously enough readers who notice the ads. I know that I do!

Just a few short years ago, the yom tov magazines were the same price as the weekly editions, even though they contain more content.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 9:51 am
Amelia Bedelia wrote:

Just a few short years ago, the yom tov magazines were the same price as the weekly editions, even though they contain more content.

Really? I thought they were always $1-2 more.

amother
Lightpink

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 9:57 am
amother [ Cappuccino ] wrote:
So buy real literature. You can get used classics for next to nothing. And they are a lot more spiritually and intellectually stimulating than a magazine.

I do. (I'm currently reading a used copy of Les Miserables as well as rereading Villete for probably the 5th time.) But sometimes I want something a little light and frothy, so sue me if part of what I look forward to on YT is having frum magazines. I have depressing things going on in my life, so I need a little diversion that a heavy intellectual read just doesn't provide.
Your harsh response really wasn't necessary.
If you spent YT on your own would you be totally satisfied by simply reading a Tolstoy or Victor Hugo book??

amother
Cappuccino

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 10:08 am
amother [ Lightpink ] wrote:
I do. (I'm currently reading a used copy of Les Miserables as well as rereading Villete for probably the 5th time.) But sometimes I want something a little light and frothy, so sue me if part of what I look forward to on YT is having frum magazines. I have depressing things going on in my life, so I need a little diversion that a heavy intellectual read just doesn't provide.
Your harsh response really wasn't necessary.
If you spent YT on your own would you be totally satisfied by simply reading a Tolstoy or Victor Hugo book??

I didn't mean to be harsh.

Most of what you find in magazines is mental junk food. And that's fine. I think everyone should have dessert. Life without any froth doesn't work for the vast majority of humanity. But an all-dessert diet is bad for you. You need meat and potatoes.

Also, not all great literature is dark and heavy. You can find something cheerier. Jane Austen really got the shidduch scene.

If the classics aren't for you in any case, there's plenty of good stuff being written all the time. Fiction, nonfiction, whatever you like.

Jewish books are getting better but they are still almost all light years behind mainstream fiction.

amother
Lightpink

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 10:19 am

Most of what you find in magazines is mental junk food. And that's fine. I think everyone should have dessert. Life without any froth doesn't work for the vast majority of humanity. But an all-dessert diet is bad for you. You need meat and potatoes.

Also, not all great literature is dark and heavy. You can find something cheerier. Jane Austen really got the shidduch scene.

I've read Jane Austen many times believe me, so maybe I don't have patience to read Emma for the 20th time over YT. Maybe I need something new and more diverting.
There was still no reason to jump on my innocent post.
I am well read in the classics as well as contemporary books as my bookshelves can attest, but I'm no intellectual snob. I don't denigrate people who read 1 Jodi Picolt book or Sophie Kinsella per year, or whatever. Kindly don't lecture others on an all dessert diet, people have different tastes which frankly are their own business.

DustyDiamonds

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 10:29 am
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Based on the number of threads started recently on Imamother, horrified that certain ads were deemed appropriate to publish, there are obviously enough readers who notice the ads. I know that I do!

Remember the YT magazines came with a free CD?

amother
Cappuccino

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 10:46 am
I've read Jane Austen many times believe me, so maybe I don't have patience to read Emma for the 20th time over YT. Maybe I need something new and more diverting.
There was still no reason to jump on my innocent post.
I am well read in the classics as well as contemporary books as my bookshelves can attest, but I'm no intellectual snob. I don't denigrate people who read 1 Jodi Picolt book or Sophie Kinsella per year, or whatever. Kindly don't lecture others on an all dessert diet, people have different tastes which frankly are their own business.

I'm sorry, I really seem to be rubbing you the wrong way. This isn't about who's read more good books. If you wish, you may crown yourself Queen of Good Reading and I will be your humble servant. I'm happy to acknowledge your superiority. All right now?

Jodi Picoult and Sophie Kinsella are fine if that's what someone enjoys reading. Really and truly. So is Stephen King or James Patterson or whatever else. Why not?

Context matters. I just pointed out that FOR THOSE POSTERS COMPLAINING ABOUT THE COST OF MAGAZINES relative to content, books OF ANY KIND are a good alternative. I mentioned classics simply because many people who only read Jewish magazines don't read contemporary books.

I wasn't implying anything about anyone's reading habits beyond making the (highly unoriginal) observation that Jewish magazines aren't quality literature.

amother
Strawberry

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 10:51 am
It's annoying but reality is, ads are how they make money. They don't get much profit from newsstand sales or even subscribers (except that the charge for ads is dependent on their numbers).
However, I really don't look at the ads much. The only ones that catch my eye are the food ones, for some reason.

So if they're increasing ads tenfold for the YT edition, why the large hike in the price? If the mishpacha starts at page 126, then those additional 100+ ads in those pages (plus all the extras in the rest of the pages) are already a money making boost for them. Sounds like they want both ends of the deal.

For me personally, these many ads ruin the reading experience. It's very heavy, turning page after page after page to find something to read is a turnoff, and you just can't enjoy such magazines in a relaxed state. Magazines were always primarily about the reading content, with just a couple of ads scattered around. Circulars were always about the ads with just some reading content scattered around. The magazines today seem to be confused about what their primary function is and they're getting very close to being circulars. Circulars are generally free though, so that's something the magazines need to think about. My local circulars in Monsey, I.e The View, has plenty of reading material in it too, and yet is free.

Why don't they just separate the ads from the content for the YT edition. Create a 200+ page circular with all the ads, and the leave the reading content in the magazine portions. Those who enjoy going through the ads, will browse the circular, and those who don't, don't have to bother with them. Those who have no patience for the ads generally don't look at them anyways, so there isn't much of a concern about losing viewers for the ads.

amother
Lightpink

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 10:57 am
I'm sorry, I really seem to be rubbing you the wrong way. This isn't about who's read more good books. If you wish, you may crown yourself Queen of Good Reading and I will be your humble servant. I'm happy to acknowledge your superiority. All right now?

Jodi Picoult and Sophie Kinsella are fine if that's what someone enjoys reading. Really and truly. So is Stephen King or James Patterson or whatever else. Why not?

Context matters. I just pointed out that FOR THOSE POSTERS COMPLAINING ABOUT THE COST OF MAGAZINES relative to content, books OF ANY KIND are a good alternative. I mentioned classics simply because many people who only read Jewish magazines don't read contemporary books.

I wasn't implying anything about anyone's reading habits beyond making the (highly unoriginal) observation that Jewish magazines aren't quality literature.

I wasn't the one complaining. I wrote that I was thankful to have the option and that I don't begrudge the cost, and that it actually isn't necessarily more cost effective to buy a Jewish book instead.
You then felt the need to lecture me about reading the classics as it would be so much more satisfying instead of wasting my time on magazines.
I simply responded to you saying, well, I have and I do. And that I still like to read the frum magazines.
But you still needed to lecture and tell me to try Jane Austen or contemporary books, assuming that I haven't. So I pointed out that I have. And I still like frum magazines. And that I don't try to lecture others on what they *should* be reading instead of whatever fluff they prefer.
I'm not sure what the point of any of your posts are, except to feel superior. (And it's obvious you didn't read the thread that carefully if you chose my innocent little post to jump on.)

SuperWify

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 10:57 am

If the classics aren't for you in any case, there's plenty of good stuff being written all the time. Fiction, nonfiction, whatever you like.

Jewish books are getting better but they are still almost all light years behind mainstream fiction.

I actually got a lot of food for thought and inspiration from the magazines this holiday season. Ok, not every article had major earth shattering revelations and chidusshim but some were well-written and thoughtful. The lighter articles are ok as well. I couldn’t stop laughing from the Chol Hamoed comic strip in the Family Magazine. No Jane Austen can give me that.

Miriam Kosman had a great article on a women’s role on Sukkot (spoiler alert: it’s not in the kitchen), the Ami has a beautiful sensitively-written article on Jewish Yemenite culture which I really enjoyed. I don’t normally enjoy reading about holy rebbetzins I can’t relate too, but the one about the aren’t from Sunderland who went to Morocco was really inspiring. (Anyone remember her name?)
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room