Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Extinguishing flame on Yt

erb17

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 8:06 am
Whats the correct way to extinguish flame after lighting YT candles? Leave it in the sink? Run the water first?

imasinger

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 8:10 am
You can't extinguish the flame, only let it burn itself out.

Put in a safe place, like on foil. A sink is okay as long as you won't be using it until after the flame went out on its own.

Many people use a long burning yartzeit candle, they light that first, before YT, extinguish the match however they want, then use that flame to light everything else by putting other wicks in that flame.

Notsobusy

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 9:51 am
I use my stove top flame to light my candles. I bring one of the candles to the stove and light it from the flame, then I light the rest of the candles from that candle. So there's nothing to extinguish.

erb17

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 11:08 am
imasinger wrote:
You can't extinguish the flame, only let it burn itself out.

Put in a safe place, like on foil. A sink is okay as long as you won't be using it until after the flame went out on its own.

Many people use a long burning yartzeit candle, they light that first, before YT, extinguish the match however they want, then use that flame to light everything else by putting other wicks in that flame.

Right I light a yartzheit candle but I use tea lights so I can’t stick a tea light in. I use a longer candle to use the flame from yartzheit candle and then light the tea lights. So need to extinguish the longer candle still.

imasinger

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 11:11 am
Why not stick in a holder and let it burn down?

Alternatively, some people very carefully light tea lights from yartzeit candle and place it down.

jkl

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 11:12 am
erb17 wrote:
Right I light a yartzheit candle but I use tea lights so I can’t stick a tea light in. I use a longer candle to use the flame from yartzheit candle and then light the tea lights. So need to extinguish the longer candle still.

Extinguishing a candle is forbidden by any means. So just stick the longer candle into a candleholder and let it burn itself out.

Notsobusy

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 11:14 am
erb17 wrote:

I've seen people use a toothpick or match and then leave it in the yahrzeit candle to burn out safely.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 11:18 am
You can put a match to the long-lasting yartzeit candle and use that to light your tea light. Then you have to lay the match down in a safe place and let it burn itself out with no help from you. Can be on a safe metal tray - watch it until it's out. Or a stainless sink (you can't run water over it).

The other choice is to let the candle burn out (even if it takes 4 hours) after you use it to spread the light. Like imasinger said, set it in a holder and just forget about it.

Last edited by ra_mom on Sun, Sep 26 2021, 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total

Living Princess

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 11:22 am
Notsobusy wrote:
I've seen people use a toothpick or match and then leave it in the yahrzeit candle to burn out safely.

Really not a good idea, a match in a Yatzheit candle can create a huge flame. I've done it and it can get pretty scary. I've had to put the yarzheit candle into a container of water to contain it.

momsrus

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 11:23 am
Notsobusy wrote:
I use my stove top flame to light my candles. I bring one of the candles to the stove and light it from the flame, then I light the rest of the candles from that candle. So there's nothing to extinguish.

I do this too.

erb17

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 11:23 am
ra_mom wrote:
You can put a match to the long-lasting yartzeit candle and use that to light your tea light. Then you have to lay the match down in a safe place and let it burn itself out with no help from you. Can be on a safe metal tray - watch it until it's out. Or a stainless sink (you can't run water over it).

The other choice is to let the candle burn out (even if it takes 4 hours) after you use it to spread the light.

Can the water be running in the sink before hand though and be turned off and then place the candle down?

erb17

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 11:24 am
imasinger wrote:
Why not stick in a holder and let it burn down?

Alternatively, some people very carefully light tea lights from yartzeit candle and place it down.

The holder is a good idea! I’ve been using a chanukah type candle that didn’t have a holder but I can buy the thicker type and holder. Thanks

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 11:25 am
erb17 wrote:
Can the water be running in the sink before hand though and be turned off and then place the candle down?

No it really needs to burn itself out. In a stainless sink, it takes about 60 seconds. You can have your hand on the faucet in case of emergency.

imasinger

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 1:38 pm
erb17 wrote:

No, that's the same as putting water on it. AYLOR, but it's not a shaila.

I'm glad s separate candle can work for you!

Teomima

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 1:55 pm
I use a yartzeit candle plus an old jar/tin from a spent candle. Drop the matches in there after transferring the flame. They burn themselves out somewhere safe and heat resistant. Takes seconds.

bubble gum

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 2:12 pm
I use a match to get fire from my stovetop or from a 2 day candle that I lit before yom tov. After I light my candles I drop the match into a mini disposable foil pan that I put next to my candles for that purpose and watch it burn out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions