Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Neighbors partying in their succah: wwyd?
Previous  1  2  3  4

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 12:46 pm
OP, I'm so happy things worked out! You worded your text beautifully, and I hope you know nothing but shalom with your neighbors from here on out.

I can easily see both sides of the situation. IMHO, microphones and speakers are obnoxious, unless you are in a wedding hall where at least you have solid walls to dampen the noise.

Acoustic music, zemirot, and lots of laughing are fine in my book. I live in a very sedate neighborhood where almost everyone is retired, and they go to their grandkids for Succot. It's really quiet here, and it makes me sad. I'd love some music, even if it's loud.

If I had little kids who wouldn't go back to bed, I'd dance around the living room with them and let them make a little simcha of their own. It's only one night! They may be cranky in the morning, but I think it would be fun to have them enjoy the party.

When I was looking to make Aliyah, I was seriously considering Tzfat. I asked about the Breslov neighborhood, and I was told "Don't move there if you expect to sleep at night. The men will go out in the streets and dance for every possible reason, and then make up some reasons if they don't have a specific simcha!"

As for calling the police, I'm kind of surprised at the responses here. Remember last year, when Covid weddings were supposed to be restricted, and if you called the police to report them everyone was saying that you were a moser and a rasha? When the new couple couldn't possibly pare down the guest list to fewer than 100 people on each side?

I also remember a friend of mine who had her neighbors call the police on her because her kids were making noise past 11pm. This was in Israel, where everyone and their uncle knows that Pesach seders run late!

You know what I say? Baruch Hashem that there are Jews who love the mitzvot enough to make a big simcha out of them. The more the better. May Moshiach come soon and in our days, so that every Jew on the planet can sing and dance to their heart's content.

amother
Fern

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 1:23 pm
amother [ Jean ] wrote:
We value healthy sleep schedules. We have healthy sleep schedules. We also value yom tov. And we know that yom tov is off schedule. A healthy person should be able to handle the yom tov sleep schedule.

I mentioned previously that these specific people do not just do loud music on yuntiv. They rent out their yard for bar mitzvahs, weddings, henas, etc.

Again - difference between a party and blaring speakers and a mic with a singer.

Do me and my children's sleep not matter for a week? Do people with disabilities or chronic issues not matter? Do people during pregnancy or have anxiety and have trouble falling and staying asleep not matter? Do my kids and job not matter? That I should get 4 hours of sleep for 5 days because someone can't end the party earlier?

Actually many real simchas beis hashoeivas are generally somewhat connected to the municipality and many end at 12am like they should. Concerts, weddings, and events during the year all end at 11pm and guess what - EVERYONE DEALS WITH IT JUST FINE.

No where in the Torah does it must say we must party through the night and disturb everyone's sleep to be motzai yuntiv.

Gezel Shaina is a real serious thing. It's assur to steal someone's sleep.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 1:32 pm
I know the issue has already been resolved, but I completely disagree with all of those who basically told the OP to deal with it because such things are expected on Sukkos.

It’s a serious issue to steal someone’s sleep and no, not every healthy person can deal with having their sleep schedule messed up.

There’s also a big difference between a party that involves a group of people singing and a party that includes instruments and microphones. And there’s a big difference between a party ending at 11 and one ending at 1 in the morning.

Have fun—after all, simcha is a huge part of this Chag. But don’t ruin other people’s simchas Chag by by being inconsiderate.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 7:46 pm
amother [ Jean ] wrote:
There's "residential neighborhood" and there's "frum neighborhood on sukkos" where you choose to live and know that partying on certain days comes along with it. It's part of the package of living in a frum neighborhood or development. Living peacefully with other frum jews means that everyone is understanding that on certain days we party late at night.

Um, what?? Being frum is supposed to make people have good midos, not having excuses for being selfish.
Living peacefully with anyone means following basic societal norms and menshlichkeit along with following the laws.

You are welcome to party, in a hall not next door to anyone sleeping, or at normal hours of the day.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 7:50 pm
amother [ Jean ] wrote:
I cannot believe that a jew called police on another jew! Omg! Did you ask a sheila before doing so? Did you try talking to the neighbors first?
Especially on sukkos when it's expected and understandable to have simchas bais hashoava.

Did the Jews throwing the party ask a shaila before doing gezel Shaina and stealing people's sleep at 12 AM?!

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 7:51 pm
amother [ Jean ] wrote:
It's sukkos for god's sake! It doesn’t happen every night! It's part of the parcel of living with other jews. Talk to your neighbors before calling the police. No one wants a neighbor that calls the police on them for making noise on a night when we should be understanding. Forget about the part that it's assur to call the police on jews. (Barring pakuach nefesh).

Gezel Shaina is also assur.

Who's to decide which one is worse?

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 7:54 pm
amother [ Jean ] wrote:
We value healthy sleep schedules. We have healthy sleep schedules. We also value yom tov. And we know that yom tov is off schedule. A healthy person should be able to handle the yom tov sleep schedule.

Families with little babies and toddlers who CANNOT handle it, so no.
They are too young to understand what all the banging and vibrations are about

amother
Junglegreen

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 8:16 pm
amother [ Jean ] wrote:
You have the choice to move. A jew calling police on jews having simchas bais hashoava on sukkos night is unbelievably obnoxious.
And I grew up on a non jewish block next to a grocery store with music blaring till 1 AM every night and constant parties.

First off, No, I actually don’t have a choice. Second this was until 3:30 am. And will be every night.
Third/ if you finished reading my post / I mentioned that at least it’s not block parties every weekend.
Also-I am not the one who would call the cops.
Fourth- you have a very black and white and obnoxious thought process.
A mitzva that is completed on the cheshbon of gezel from others is not a mitzva.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics