Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Story Supplements in the Yom Tov Magazines
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Chicory

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 4:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Not necessarily..I think she was young and didnt have the tools to search for her sister. As an adult she will continue trying to find her sister.

The ending just showed her having closure about the doll. She was holding onto it because it represented her love for her sister and her need to give her sister an expression of her love. It also represented the idea that she saw her sister as a person with a heart and feelings, not just a [crazy] invalid.

That opportunity was snatched away from her before it could be expressed. When she saw a little boy with the same condition as her sister, she had someone else to express those feelings to, which gave her closure.

And of course, she has an instant bond with the brother and will marry him. Smile

I like your interpretation, I hope she will find her sister and not have closure on her existence.

Odelyah

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 4:43 pm
mommy2379 wrote:
Thanks so much. I'm slowlllllyy working on another serial. But like really slowly, have to get my act together and really put in some time to make it happen. I had a few offers to publish House of Mirrors in book form but it only ran for half a year, so its a bit too short for a novel, so no, I have no plans on publishing at this time.

Just chiming in to say we are big fans of your writing here too, Mrs. L!! (I remember a conversation last year I think about your story "Breathe" and I just have to let you know I also got the Yasgur's farm reference Wink)

But now I'm so eager to read House of Mirrors! It was before my Mishpacha-reading time. Until my daughter (who shares my love of great literature and is a talented writer herself) informed me a couple of years ago that Mishpacha/Family First has some excellent writing, and asked me to start buying it, I never bought any magazines. Is there a link, or some way I can read it online?

mommy2379

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 5:08 pm
Thanks so much! It may be on the Mishpacha website, I'm not sure. BUT I will caution you, I wrote House of Mirrors toward the beginning of my writing career and I'd like to think my skill set has improved by now. (In plain English- I don't consider it my best work Very Happy )

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 5:10 pm
mommy2379 wrote:
Thanks so much! It may be on the Mishpacha website, I'm not sure. BUT I will caution you, I wrote House of Mirrors toward the beginning of my writing career and I'd like to think my skill set has improved by now. (In plain English- I don't consider it my best work Very Happy )

Is that the one with Gavi and the materialistic mother/wife?
I liked it a lot. Not cheesy at all. Relatable characters.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 5:16 pm
I always enjoy the stories by Sara Weiderblank and Etka Gittel. I'm saving my Binah for second days so I don't know if they wrote any of the stories.

I think Sara weiderblank is a brilliant but underrated author.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 5:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I always enjoy the stories by Sara Weiderblank and Etka Gittel. I'm saving my. Inah for second days so I don't know if they wrote any of the stories.

Neither has written for Binah in a while unfortunately. I really miss them.

Ridethewaves

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 5:27 pm
mommy2379 wrote:
Well I'd like to think he pushed off shidduchim for a long time while he focused on raising his young children, now that they are older its time to get married. OR maybe he just hadn't met the right one yet...(and I can think these things because I wrote it.) Very Happy

Hi 👋 I loved that story. I read it twice! Do they get married? Is it always awkward between her and Ari?

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 5:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

She happens to be an underated but brilliant person in general.

mommy2379

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 5:37 pm
Ridethewaves wrote:
Hi 👋 I loved that story. I read it twice! Do they get married? Is it always awkward between her and Ari?

Good question! Yes, I really do think they get married and also yes- I would assume there will be some minor residual awkwardness in the beginning between her and Ari lol.

amother
Camellia

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 8:38 pm
mommy2379 wrote:
Good question! Yes, I really do think they get married and also yes- I would assume there will be some minor residual awkwardness in the beginning between her and Ari lol.

Looking forward to reading it!
I love reading your work!

Last edited by amother on Thu, Sep 30 2021, 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 8:56 pm
mommy2379 wrote:
Well I'd like to think he pushed off shidduchim for a long time while he focused on raising his young children, now that they are older its time to get married. OR maybe he just hadn't met the right one yet...(and I can think these things because I wrote it.) Very Happy

By the way, I know the assumption in the story was that you couldn't have the parents date each other AND the kids date each other, but it's not actually out of the realm of possibility. Though it feels weird.

I know a couple who have been married around 20 years. He lost his father and she lost her mother. The surviving spouses married each other. In other words, the mechutanin married each other. For the kids it was Bubby X married Zaidy Y. And the new (older) couple lives in the same apartment building as their kids and grandkids.

A famous marriage between step -siblings is the Chofetz chaim and his first wife. He married his stepfather's daughter out of respect for his mother. Iirc, he had many marriage prospects but his mother asked him if he would consider her husbands daughter- who was his senior by about 10 years- and he agreed out of respect for his mother.

So Mommy3279, you could have technically had Ari marry the daughter and the parents marry each other as well.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 9:06 pm
amother [ Maize ] wrote:
Does anyone know someone like Tanta Toby?

I see no one answered you. I believe she's from the mishpacha story about the man who refused a get for 10 years and then takes 100k from the ex and the niece found this out. It doesnt look like anyone mentioned it on here.

Sorry meant to answer the whose tante toby post

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 10:19 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
I see no one answered you. I believe she's from the mishpacha story about the man who refused a get for 10 years and then takes 100k from the ex and the niece found this out. It doesnt look like anyone mentioned it on here.

Actually Tanta Toby is the title of Riva Pomerantz's story in the Ami Collection. I'm just getting to that story now.

amother
Maize

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 10:23 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:

No its the story about the old women with no kids who burdens her nieces and nephews to do things for her and then complains about it and then the lawyer has to distribute the properties after she dies

amother
Carnation

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 10:39 pm
There was a story in the Binah supplement about a woman who had a close relationship with her grandmother - Bubs - and was surprised at the small amount of her inheritance. That story abruptly stopped in the middle and seemed to me that it was missing pages.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 11:11 pm
amother [ Carnation ] wrote:
There was a story in the Binah supplement about a woman who had a close relationship with her grandmother - Bubs - and was surprised at the small amount of her inheritance. That story abruptly stopped in the middle and seemed to me that it was missing pages.

It was a sentence only and the correction is in the editor's note in the main magazine.

amother
Caramel

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 11:40 pm
Esther Edelson's story in the Ami was beautiful!

boysrus

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 12:16 am
amother [ Caramel ] wrote:
Esther Edelson's story in the Ami was beautiful!

yes. she is a talented author! She is the one who wrote an amazing story in one of the story supplements Pesach time, about shidduch pictures... wherever I went everyone was discussing that story. wish I could find it to reread it!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 12:27 am
amother [ DarkOrange ] wrote:
The ami had a few stories that literally ended in the middle.
Agree about the ad situation. They need to scale back big time .

That's where they make the money. They aren't scaling back anytime soon.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 12:28 am
Did anyone read the Momentum- supplement to the circle?
Page 5 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room