Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Kosher grocery charging outrageous prices during yom tov
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Eggplant

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 8:04 pm
I am a therapist, and I usually raise my prices after Succos, but I decided not to do so this year because people are struggling to pay for therapy as it is. On the other hand, I am feeling the inflation too...and could use a break too. Everything went up -- even manicure prices ( I do not get them as often any more; it feels more like a luxury now, so I just do my own nails mostly and try to keep other costs to a minimum too). I try to go to non-Jewish stores for groceries that can be bought there, although I would have loved to give the Parnasa to community members. I am using a non-Jewish contractor right now because his quote was cheaper...It is a hard balance. I am wondering if I had made a mistake, and should have perhaps raised my prices after all -- like everyone else. It just does not feel right. Parnasa is from Hashem, and I am hoping that Hashem sees I am trying to give others a break and will provide for our needs.

imamommy5

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 10:02 pm
dankbar wrote:
I read a headline, "Are you ready to see empty shelves at your supermarket, when shopping for holidays? I thought they were talking about Jewish Holidays right now, with so many meals & feeding so many mouths leading to shortages ( there aren't even any working days when to deliver) but no, it warned people that for Thanksgiving & December holidays there will be shortages due to Covid.

I was amused. They are worrying now about a single dinner in November & December for what? Tops 6 people, 3 months in advance.

Look at us yiddishe moms, providing endless food for masses this month! How many Seudos did we have? With everyone home? Guests? Extended family- all kids & einiklech? Even without extended families, people have large families even without guests. There were maybe 3 days of school this month. Everyone home, means everyone hungry all
the time
they take thanksgiveing very seriosly I was in the emergency room a few years ago the night before thaksghveing and it was almost like erev shabos where will you eat your turkey?

GLUE

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 11:12 pm
dankbar wrote:
I read a headline, "Are you ready to see empty shelves at your supermarket, when shopping for holidays? I thought they were talking about Jewish Holidays right now, with so many meals & feeding so many mouths leading to shortages ( there aren't even any working days when to deliver) but no, it warned people that for Thanksgiving & December holidays there will be shortages due to Covid.

A few years ago I found some article-I don't remember were-in witch it was talking about shortages of different food stuff right before the super bowl. The article was writing how all the shortages were artificial.

How there is always a shortage on the 1lb. dipping cheese, never the 3lb. ect.,how there is never a shortage on wings and chips only on stuff that not every one gets and only on the smaller sizes.

I don't expect a shortage on Turkeys come Thanksgiving only on stuff that is not that poplar, it is a way to get people to buy food they might other wise not. Color me cynical.

Amarante

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 11:30 pm
I haven’t read specifically about food shortages for the winter holiday but about inventory in general as people buy quite a bit in the period between Thanksgiving and New Years because there are so many gifts. Almost every toy is imported from China.

Also many people throw parties during that time. During December almost everyone has a party and almost everyone does some kind of New Years Eve celebration with some kind of food even if it is an intimate gathering. People buy lots of food and drink. It is not just one day but it is essentially a month of parties and people joke about gaining 10 pounds or more during this period because of all the parties. If you live in a frum neighborhood and work in a frum company, you probably don’t realize the amount of home entertaining during this period.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 11:47 pm
Amarante wrote:
I haven’t read specifically about food shortages for the winter holiday but about inventory in general as people buy quite a bit in the period between Thanksgiving and New Years because there are so many gifts. Almost every toy is imported from China.

Also many people throw parties during that time. During December almost everyone has a party and almost everyone does some kind of New Years Eve celebration with some kind of food even if it is an intimate gathering. People buy lots of food and drink. It is not just one day but it is essentially a month of parties and people joke about gaining 10 pounds or more during this period because of all the parties. If you live in a frum neighborhood and work in a frum company, you probably don’t realize the amount of home entertaining during this period.

There are usually lots of sales at that time of year on staples like flour and sugar. They are probably used as lost leaders to attract shoppers but who knows if there will be bargains this year.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics