Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Someone to drive a UHAUL for me?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 3:50 pm
Ok, so I'm doing a move of a limited amount of stuff across the country. (Starting from NY.)

I don't know exactly how much stuff. In my head I'm thinking about 6-12 large Sterlite bins worth - but I won't know till I actually do it.

I'm planning to pack up the stuff - I just need someone to come to the location and load the bins and drive them for me.

So I probably could call a moving company and ask them to do it.

But I had this idea that maybe there are people who do this kind of thing - like a man with a van type thing - where they basically would rent a uhaul and drive it.

I do want it to be licensed and insured - so only if someone did this as his/her official business.

So I'm looking for advice - what are the pros and cons here?

Should I do this through a real moving company or should I do it less formally?

(Re cost - I have no idea what the difference in cost would be)

Any recommendations?

Please advise!

challahchallah

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 3:56 pm
You want a licensed and insured company that loads your bins into a truck and drives it across the country…that’s a moving company. Some specialize in smaller loads that might be cheaper. If you’re willing to load yourself you could also do a POD or something. I would just call a few moving companies and get quotes.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 10:49 pm
Thank you ChallahChallah!

Any recommendations anyone for moving companies from the NY area?
Ideally ones that specialize in smaller loads.
But if not, any.

Notsobusy

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 11:23 pm
It doesn't sound like that much stuff. I wonder if it will be cheaper to ship it with USPS.

amother
Tulip

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 11:29 pm
This sounds like the kind of thing that works well with U-Pack. We used a ReloCube to move our stuff halfway across the country. It is far cheaper than a moving company, and not that much more than driving it yourself. https://www.upack.com

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 11:34 pm
Oh interesting. I will check that out.

amother
Burntblack

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 12:00 am
If you are able to put them on a pallet. You can ship it across country with a commercial trucking company. 13 boxes will fit on one pallet easily. They will charge you a lift gate fee because they’re not picking up from a warehouse.

Amarante

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 1:18 am
Many moving companies do this because they fill the truck with items from several homes.

When I moved cross country, I didn’t have enough to fill a truck. You aren’t going to find someone to move only your items because it doesn’t make economic sense if they were in the business.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating