Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Do your kids wear robes?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

Do you/your kids/most people wear shabbos robes?
Yes- tri state  
 60%  [ 154 ]
Yes- not tri state  
 15%  [ 39 ]
No  
 18%  [ 48 ]
Some do but not most  
 4%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 253

amother
Cadetblue

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 10:27 am
dankbar wrote:
They are made by local Jewish companies/ stores specifically for Shabbos & this purpose. They are pricey, because of the small exclusive market but they have designers design according to fashion trends. They can even be more expensive than a shabbos dress that you would find in a dept store.
They are usually made of comfortable fabric and ez care.
Then you also have more fancy ones like for kallahs getting married & then going to in laws for shabbos or for kimpeturins to wear by vachnacht/kiddush at home.
The fancy shabbos dresses are then worn to shul for the kids when they go to hakafos, shofar, etc. Then when they come home to eat the meal they change into their robes so if child spills grape juice onto a black velour robe it's not that bad then if it would spill on a white lace dress or pink wool which would need to be dry cleaned and stains wouldn't come out.
There are people that do use shabbos dresses for the girls all shabbos.
For winter, the long ones are cozy for home. For summer, the long ones are not that practical, for little girls when they jump outside or ride their trikes. So some do get cheap dresses for outside.

I was in Upstate NY for Rosh Hashanah. I saw all the little girls jumping on the street with white cotton dresses all day, while the men were in shul. I could not get it, because if it gets muddy, the stains don't come out. They didn't change after shofar. They were not a practical dark color.
I think they do it, because long robes aren't really allowed/encouraged/advocated for, to be worn outside, by their community.

I live in Monsey. Many if not most girls wear shabbos dresses all shabbos in the summer when they play outside, it's more comfortable and practical than a long robe. In the winter, the girls wear their long robes. There isn't a community that doesn't allow young girls to wear long robes outside.

bsy

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 10:33 am
I have sensory hangups. if I couldn't wear a comfortable robe on Shabbos, Shabbos would be a tremendous source of stress and discomfort for me.

amother
Apple

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 10:42 am
amother [ Cognac ] wrote:
I wouldn’t call this a robe, I would call this a long dress. Unless you feel comfortable laying on the couch, lounging around and possibly sleeping in it…

Totally lounge around in it. Toss it on a chair to throw on when I need to tend to a kid in th middle of the night.

amother
Hunter

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 10:49 am
Do any teens do it or its only the women and little kids

bsy

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 10:51 am
amother [ Hunter ] wrote:

Sure!

benny

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 11:19 am
sushilover wrote:
I'm laughing at the criticism of robes as lounge wear or too casual for shabbos. We had a guest from a different country years ago who commented on how nice it was that the women and girls of our community show such honor to shabbos by wearing "gowns" on Friday night.

The current robe style in my neighborhood this year consisted of a metallic accordion pleated skirt paired with a nice, comfortable top. Not really a robe in the traditional sense.

Lol this reminds me of the year my sister wore her velour shabbos robe to her husbands very elegant work holiday party.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 11:21 am
amother [ Hunter ] wrote:

Sure, there are stunning teen robes. Many teens and women wear a maxi skirt and top as a robe.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 11:44 am
sushilover wrote:
I'm laughing at the criticism of robes as lounge wear or too casual for shabbos. We had a guest from a different country years ago who commented on how nice it was that the women and girls of our community show such honor to shabbos by wearing "gowns" on Friday night.

The current robe style in my neighborhood this year consisted of a metallic accordion pleated skirt paired with a nice, comfortable top. Not really a robe in the traditional sense.

My Hungarian grandmother called a robe a “hostess gown”.
So call it a robe, a maxi dress, a gown, or loungewear. I love it on my girls and won’t stop buying them lekavod Shabbos and Yom tov!

amother
Bergamot

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 11:50 am
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
My Hungarian grandmother called a robe a “hostess gown”.
So call it a robe, a maxi dress, a gown, or loungewear. I love it on my girls and won’t stop buying them lekavod Shabbos and Yom tov!

Maybe that’s what the issue is lol. My grandmothers weren’t Hungarian they were Polish!

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 11:52 am
amother [ Bergamot ] wrote:
Maybe that’s what the issue is lol. My grandmothers weren’t Hungarian they were Polish!

Very likely! Very Happy
I think a robe on little girls is very much Hungarian.
We should do a new poll.

amother
Black

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 12:05 pm
Very common for all ages in many communities across the board

amother
Cognac

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 12:06 pm
amother [ Apple ] wrote:
Totally lounge around in it. Toss it on a chair to throw on when I need to tend to a kid in th middle of the night.

Interesting, maybe more casual than I’d wear to a friend’s wedding.

amother
Apple

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 12:15 pm
amother [ Cognac ] wrote:
Interesting, maybe more casual than I’d wear to a friend’s wedding.

Like this but long and Navy: https://www.nordstrom.com/s/sa.....aw.ds

out-of-towner

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 12:25 pm
I grew up with a mother who was anti-robes (and her mother evenore so, but my other grandmother loves them), but when I got married DH liked the concept, so I wear it at home for Friday night, sometimes Shabbos day as well if I don't go out. I will wear it to visit a neighbor, but not to go to Shul. I wear it when we have guests (though if we are having a couple I will wear a regular Shabbos outfit so as not to be different than the wife). I usually buy for my girls if I can find ones that I like and are reasonably priced. (Not spending $90 on something that will last one season whereas my robes last for many years.) This season I got from Tottini and my girls really like them.

tigerwife

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 12:46 pm
Love them, especially the cozy velour ones. However, I do wear maxi length much of the time for all occasions, from very casual to very elegant.

amother
Whitewash

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 1:31 pm
out-of-towner wrote:
(Not spending $90 on something that will last one season whereas my robes last for many years.) This season I got from Tottini and my girls really like them.

I buy big and my children wear for a min of 3 years.

amother
Bergamot

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 1:35 pm
amother [ Whitewash ] wrote:
I buy big and my children wear for a min of 3 years.

How are they not tripping?

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 1:49 pm
amother [ Bergamot ] wrote:
How are they not tripping?

You hem.

amother
Fern

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 2:20 pm
I’m generally not into frum fashion but kids robes, especially the velour ones, is something I find extremely practical. They’re dark, they’re easy maintenance, they’re cozy for after baths on Friday , the kids go right to sleep in them after the meal. It works.

imamommy5

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 2:48 pm
its comfortable thats why some people are against it. if you'll notice in our communities comfortable = no good.
Page 4 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics