Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Do your kids wear robes?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

Do you/your kids/most people wear shabbos robes?
Yes- tri state  
 60%  [ 154 ]
Yes- not tri state  
 15%  [ 39 ]
No  
 18%  [ 48 ]
Some do but not most  
 4%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 253

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 2:50 pm
imamommy5 wrote:
its comfortable thats why some people are against it. if you'll notice in our communities comfortable = no good.

Or it’s more common in Chasidish circles vs DL circles. Chassidish=no good. 🙄
#lovethemrobes

amother
Cognac

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 3:07 pm
amother [ Apple ] wrote:
Like this but long and Navy: https://www.nordstrom.com/s/sa.....aw.ds

Ok this makes sense. Was thinking more elaborate.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 3:09 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
My Hungarian grandmother called a robe a “hostess gown”.
So call it a robe, a maxi dress, a gown, or loungewear. I love it on my girls and won’t stop buying them lekavod Shabbos and Yom tov!

Lol, my mother in law calls it a ‘model coat’

imamommy5

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 3:15 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
Or it’s more common in Chasidish circles vs DL circles. Chassidish=no good. 🙄
#lovethemrobes
I happened to be refering to the chasidish people who are against it. We actually had a teacher who said its not tzniusdik! Hnw?

amother
Oldlace

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 3:35 pm
sushilover wrote:
I'm laughing at the criticism of robes as lounge wear or too casual for shabbos. We had a guest from a different country years ago who commented on how nice it was that the women and girls of our community show such honor to shabbos by wearing "gowns" on Friday night.

The current robe style in my neighborhood this year consisted of a metallic accordion pleated skirt paired with a nice, comfortable top. Not really a robe in the traditional sense.

I know someone who went on a cruise where they only serve the kosher airline type meals in the main dining room. She didn't realize there would be a formal night and didn't have the option to dine elsewhere because they could only eat in the main dining room. So she put on her Shabbos robe and her husband wore a regular Shabbos suit and they fit right in!

amother
Cadetblue

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 3:39 pm
imamommy5 wrote:
I happened to be refering to the chasidish people who are against it. We actually had a teacher who said its not tzniusdik! Hnw?

Some people hold that long robes aren't tzenuis and their family only wears short robes. (From bas mitzvah.) I think in every chassidish schools there's this teacher that says that long robes aren't tzenuis. If this isn't what the family does, it doesn't need to be taken seriously.

amother
Snowflake

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 3:49 pm
Yeshivish from a large OOT community and we love our robes! My teenage girls and I wear them Friday night. So cozy and comfortable. We love to curl up on the couch after the seudah with our Shabbos magazines and books. You can’t easily curl up with a book in a regular Shabbos outfit. The beauty of a Shabbos robe is that it doesn’t wrinkle and is easy to wash but still looks elegant. My chareidi relatives in Israel wear them, my yeshivish relatives in all the major U.S. cities wear them. Lately it’s most common to wear a long micropleated skirt with a shiny comfy top and call it your Shabbos robe, but the one piece robes are a classic and still very popular.

amother
Whitewash

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 3:59 pm
imamommy5 wrote:

My mother wears a robe to the seuda Friday night. By day usually not because she likes to go to shul so would put on normal clothing but it depends, sometimes a robe. Once she had eidimer she stopped to wear long robes for tznius. She occasionally still did shabbos afternoon after her nap. She would never wear a robe outside.

imamommy5

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 4:26 pm
I actually wish we culd start a new trend where its appropriate to wear a robe to shul. anyone with me?

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 4:28 pm
imamommy5 wrote:

Same reason some chasidish people wouldn’t wear maxi dresses to shul. Some feel that floor length clothing attracts attention so it isn’t tznius.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 4:45 pm
Shabbos robes all the way.
By the time licht bentchen comes, I'm so tired I want my comfy beautiful robe. Who can get dressed at that point?
And my girls too. As soon as they're out of the shower, they get into their robes and are ready for shabbos. *With tights.*
I found them beautiful "robes" on shein for like $10 around pesach time and they're still in great condition.
Mine are more like $75.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 4:55 pm
imamommy5 wrote:
I actually wish we culd start a new trend where its appropriate to wear a robe to shul. anyone with me?

Nope. If you wouldn't go to a simcha in a robe, you for sure don't go to shul in a robe.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 4:55 pm
amother [ NeonGreen ] wrote:

Or a punjalow. (I think it's Hungarian.)

Chickensoupprof

Post Wed, Sep 29 2021, 3:07 pm
I have one summer robe and 3 winter ones and I wear them a lot. And I live in the Netherlands for the Dutch a robe is chassidic 🤷‍♀️

amother
Honey

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 3:28 am
My sons did not. (OP, you did say "your kids" not "your dds.)
My dds did, for a few years when I happened to find them at a local vendor fair. I do, again because I happened to find them at a local vendor fair. I haven't seen them in years, though, so now I'm wearing elastic-waist maxi skirts. They're not quite as convenient as the robe, but the robe is really showing its age.

A robe isn't appropriate for shul. No matter how elegant you think it is, it's loungewear and everyone knows it. What you can do is have a dressmaker modify some features to make it more tailored , but if you're spending that kind of money on a robe, why not just go ahead and buy a regular dress and not have to have it modified

zaq

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 3:39 am
amother [ NeonGreen ] wrote:

A Models Coat is a brand name housecoat. https://www.shopnational.com/models-coat-v1
It is what you wear while you put on your makeup or while you make breakfast for the kids, before you get dressed to go out. It's nothing like what people call a Shabbos robe.

amother
Honey

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 3:54 am
DrMom wrote:

And for summer, I don't understand the need -- just wear a simple dress if you don't want to wear a fancy shabbat dress at the dinner table (or maybe that's what is done and it is just called a "robe" in certain communities).

All of the above comments refer to kids. For adults. I totally get the idea of wanted to slip into something comfy. I guess I just don't get the pricetag.

I have one or two velour jobs for winter and they're fabulous. They don't wrinkle and they look dressed up even though they feel as comfy as a long sweatshirt. I wish I had some for summer but all I've seen is horrid scratchy black polyester. In summer I wear a plain cotton knit top and an elastic-waist maxi skirt.

I don't see why a child shouldn't enjoy the same kind of comfort and freedom as an adult.

But like you I also don't get the price tag. Some of these robes cost more than I spend on a dress to wear to a wedding. I got mine either from a thrift shop or from a discount seller. They may have been "irregulars" but I couldn't see any defects.

amother
Midnight

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 6:57 am
Ah funny I want to buy robes to my daughters (4 and 5). We are in Europe and I don’t know if it’s a thing here but every Friday night they fall asleep in their Shabbos clothes, I think they’re becoming too old to come to the Shabbos table in pjs. Any links for eu?

amother
Midnight

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 6:58 am
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
Shabbos robes all the way.
By the time licht bentchen comes, I'm so tired I want my comfy beautiful robe. Who can get dressed at that point?
And my girls too. As soon as they're out of the shower, they get into their robes and are ready for shabbos. *With tights.*
I found them beautiful "robes" on shein for like $10 around pesach time and they're still in great condition.
Mine are more like $75.

Would love the links of the Shein Ones.

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 8:07 am
I don't have links but I have screenshots.
One is sold out. These aren't velour, they're thin and summery and my girls have worn them since Pesach. But they are both beautiful wintery colors.
My older one wore them also on shabbos in overnight camp. Some of her friends bought them after.
(They look nicer on my daughters than on the models, a bit more floor length.)

Page 5 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics