Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Eat right and feel right
Previous  1  2

amother
Aconite

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 4:13 pm
amother [ Hawthorn ] wrote:
Most weight loss diets (and the diet culture/mindset) are unhealthy for everyone. IE is definitely better than self torture. But it won't fix most metabolic health issues for the same reason it won't fix a broken leg.
ETA: That is not to say that IE is bad for all people with metabolic conditions. It is just not the whole solution. People who need to follow special diets for medical reasons can still follow IE principles within their diets, much like people with food allergies can still do IE provided they continue to avoid the foods they are allergic to.

Intuitive eating is based on your individual health. If you have to follow a specific diet for health, exp cutting out certain foods, following that diet will be your intuitive eating.
It’s that often a person with diabetes or cholesterol will be told to lose weight. When in reality if they focus on health changes, cutting out the foods that are contributing to their health issues and changing their eating habits they can manage or heal their issues.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 4:16 pm
amother [ Aconite ] wrote:
Intuitive eating is based on your individual health.

True, but a lot of women with metabolic issues are undiagnosed. So they go into IE without awareness of their condition, and then it doesn't work for them.

amother
Aconite

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 4:17 pm
amother [ Hawthorn ] wrote:
True, but a lot of women with metabolic issues are undiagnosed. So they go into IE without awareness of their condition, and then it doesn't work for them.

So a weight loss diet wouldn’t work for them either.
Intuitive eating takes the weight loss out of the equation.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 4:19 pm
A weight loss diet wouldn't work for them either, but they don't really work in general, so that's not specific to people with health conditions. Women who experience weight gain, difficulty losing weight, etc. should view it as a medical symptom and look for the right doctor. (Finding the right doctor is important and difficult because medical bias is real.)

amother
Hawthorn

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 4:22 pm
The point shouldn't ever be to lose weight. People often treat losing weight as though it were an action. We do not have direct control over our weight. We have "influence." (Technically, we have control over our weight, but not in the context of a normal, healthy, non-hellish life. Losing weight is easy. Losing weight without killing yourself is hard.)

amother
Phlox

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 4:48 pm
Didn’t read other replies. The ideal diet is going to vary by person. Personally, I feel best on low carb paleo. I haven’t tried keto yet so don’t know if it works for me. Some people feel best on plant based, some on low lectin, some need low histamine, it really depends on your individual biology.

I like intuitive eating in theory, I just think that because of the way food today are processed and because so many of us have compromised guts, endocrine systems and nervous systems, we can’t rely on the wisdom of our own body and intuition anymore. Food addictions will override that intuition. And food addiction can be subtle, it doesn’t have to be a diagnosed eating disorder. Anyone who craves sugar and carbs is technically an addict in my book. Gluten, dairy soy and corn are also highly addictive. Once you remove your addictive foods, intuitive eating principled can be applied .

lamplighter

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 5:59 pm
Here my advice. Track it.
Start with limiting processed foods and then try and notice what feels good in your body.
Different people are different.
Some people feel best with zero carbs, some people cannot handle fatty foods, some people get tired from gluten. Play around and track your symptoms.

amother
Ballota

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 6:19 pm
If you’re gaining on IE, you aren’t being intuitive.
Your body isn’t asking you to stuff chocolate to the point of gaining ten lbs.
That’s your emotions.
Don’t blame tools. Take responsibility for your unhealthy behaviours.

amother
Midnight

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 6:24 pm
Do you drink enough water
Minimum 0.5oz per body weight
So if you are 150lbs you need to drink a minimum of 75 oz

amother
Amaryllis

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 6:49 pm
amother [ Ballota ] wrote:
That’s your emotions.

Nasty much are we?

I did IE and gained a lot of weight and I was told that this is a normal part of IE after a lifetime of dieting. When I expressed upset that I was so physically uncomfortable I was told to check my fatphobia. Ultimately I was told that my metabolism is so messed up from dieting and that your body's set point rises after each time you diet and regain the weight so mine was at over 200 lbs. The answer was not you're eating too much chocolate the answer was you will be this large unless you are actively dieting so get help accepting your obese body.

amother
Aconite

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 7:45 pm
amother [ Ballota ] wrote:
That’s your emotions.

I wasn’t stuffing myself with chocolate. I was eating 2,000 calories of nutrient dense food instead of 1,200 calories of low fat, sugar substitute garbage.
And the amount of food will be different for every individual. That is roughly the amount I need to eat to have energy, and not be a starving, irritable, lightheaded monster, craving for junk food.

dydn11402

Post Sun, Oct 03 2021, 8:43 pm
Intuitive eating when overweight has never made much sense to me. Your body is designed to maintain status quo. That's why it fights weight loss and that's why intuitive eating will at best help you maintain your weight. In order to lose weight you must be in a calorie deficit which requires your brain and not your body to be in charge bec the body doesn't want to be in a deficit. It wants to maintain. You have to override your body's comfort zone to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight.
Ideally once at a healthy weight, intuitive eating is the healthiest way to maintain if you can learn to eat that way.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Oct 03 2021, 9:17 pm
A few months ago I started eating whole food plant based diet with no refined sugar or oil. For the first time in my life carbs are allowed, generously. Including fruit. I eat lots of rice, quinoa, barley, with beans or lentils, and lots of salads, steamed veggies, veggie soups, etc. I don't weigh or measure food, or count calories. I eat without guilt when I'm hungry. I just avoid processed foods, animal foods and oil and sugar. I started this on my doctor's recommendation because my blood sugars were too high. I was surprised. It's the exact opposite of what I was expecting him to suggest for high blood sugar. But my blood sugar reversed to normal within a month and I've lost 15 pounds without trying or depriving myself. My energy is better and the inflammation in my body is way down - I don't wake up feeling arthritic in the mornings anymore.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Sun, Oct 03 2021, 10:42 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
A few months ago I started eating whole food plant based diet with no refined sugar or oil. For the first time in my life carbs are allowed, generously. Including fruit. I eat lots of rice, quinoa, barley, with beans or lentils, and lots of salads, steamed veggies, veggie soups, etc. I don't weigh or measure food, or count calories. I eat without guilt when I'm hungry. I just avoid processed foods, animal foods and oil and sugar. I started this on my doctor's recommendation because my blood sugars were too high. I was surprised. It's the exact opposite of what I was expecting him to suggest for high blood sugar. But my blood sugar reversed to normal within a month and I've lost 15 pounds without trying or depriving myself. My energy is better and the inflammation in my body is way down - I don't wake up feeling arthritic in the mornings anymore.

Do you get any fat in your diet? It's not healthy not to have any fats and could lead to complications, c"v.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 12:41 am
dydn11402 wrote:
Intuitive eating when overweight has never made much sense to me. Your body is designed to maintain status quo. That's why it fights weight loss and that's why intuitive eating will at best help you maintain your weight. In order to lose weight you must be in a calorie deficit which requires your brain and not your body to be in charge bec the body doesn't want to be in a deficit. It wants to maintain. You have to override your body's comfort zone to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight.
Ideally once at a healthy weight, intuitive eating is the healthiest way to maintain if you can learn to eat that way.

This is not exactly true. The female body especially is designed to fluctuate.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 1:04 am
When you try to fight your body to lose weight, your body will fight back. The calorie deficit will be fought with fatigue meant to conserve energy. Some people find that when they stop fighting and start healing, they run a calorie deficit without specifically attempting it because their body allows them to access and burn energy stores.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise