Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
How often do you wash your sheitel?

How often do you wash your daily sheitel?
Every 1-2 weeks  
 0%  [ 1 ]
Every 3-4 weeks  
 6%  [ 8 ]
Every 5-8 weeks  
 33%  [ 41 ]
Every 9-12 weeks  
 18%  [ 23 ]
Every 12-18 weeks  
 40%  [ 49 ]
Total Votes : 122

roseyskies

Post Fri, Oct 01 2021, 12:41 am
I just washed my sheitel and I love that fresh feeling and clean hair. I have only been married about a year so I am still getting used to sheitel maintenance and mine are still pretty new.

My daily is a dark brown Irene. I wash it myself (very carefully) with color safe and and sulfate free etc shampoo and conditioner. I am trying to do it as little as possible- so every 10-14 weeks, but Im wondering if I can do this more often, every 2-4 weeks? I don't want to shorten the overall lifespan of my sheitel but you can't beat that clean feeling.

I am not using heat or setting the hair, I pat it dry and then let it air dry after that, combing out any tangles with a gentle coconut detangler and leave in conditioner mist.

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Oct 01 2021, 12:48 am
Ugh so infrequently. 2x a year. Not ideal but my sheitel macher doesn’t live in my city and I’m extremely loyal!

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, Oct 01 2021, 12:49 am
roseyskies wrote:
I just washed my sheitel and I love that fresh feeling and clean hair. I have only been married about a year so I am still getting used to sheitel maintenance and mine are still pretty new.

My daily is a dark brown Irene. I wash it myself (very carefully) with color safe and and sulfate free etc shampoo and conditioner. I am trying to do it as little as possible- so every 10-14 weeks, but Im wondering if I can do this more often, every 2-4 weeks? I don't want to shorten the overall lifespan of my sheitel but you can't beat that clean feeling.

I am not using heat or setting the hair, I pat it dry and then let it air dry after that, combing out any tangles with a gentle coconut detangler and leave in conditioner mist.

If you're not using any heat it shouldn't be as big of a deal to wash often, the only thing I would be concerned about is losing hair, every time you wash and brush it some hair falls out.

(Oh and make sure not to put conditioner on the multi-directional top/lace!)

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Oct 01 2021, 12:50 am
When it starts looking bad or gets smelly

Chickensoupprof

Post Fri, Oct 01 2021, 4:45 am
I’ve heard you shouldn’t wash often

Chloe22

Post Fri, Oct 01 2021, 7:10 am
I took a course in how to wash and style my sheitel which was a big help. I wore my wig 12 hours a day when I was working and I had to wash it every 4 weeks.

Iymnok

Post Fri, Oct 01 2021, 7:17 am
After the summer a d after the chagim. Then it’s a few months. I usually wear on Shabbos or when going out.
I wash it myself. I may just rinse it with conditioner and air dry it.

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Oct 01 2021, 7:42 am
My sister in law is in the business and highly discourages washing until really needed. She says it definitely affects the longevity of the wig.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Fri, Oct 01 2021, 8:35 am
Chickensoupprof wrote:

I think that is mostly for expensive, non processed wigs. I believe its okay to wash cheaper wigs more often.

amother
Blushpink

Post Fri, Oct 01 2021, 12:02 pm
I wash my wigs about 9-12 weeks. They are always in good condition even after 3 -4 years, I always have people who want to buy them off me instead of me throwing it out or letting it sit around without use.

amother
Bone

Post Fri, Oct 01 2021, 2:46 pm
Sm here: It all depends on how much it's worn!
A wig worn on a daily basis usually needs a wash every 6 weeks. If you sweat a lot, possibly more often.
A shabbos sheitel worn once a week, yom tov and at weddings every 3 months on average!
I know someone that wears their sheitel every single day a minimum of 12 hours per day and it definitely needs a monthly wash!!
I also know ppl that wash only twice a year and although I understand w&s are costly, the sheitel are usually dirty and smelly!

roseyskies

Post Fri, Oct 01 2021, 3:33 pm
amother [ Bone ] wrote:
Sm here: It all depends on how much it's worn!
A wig worn on a daily basis usually needs a wash every 6 weeks. If you sweat a lot, possibly more often.
A shabbos sheitel worn once a week, yom tov and at weddings every 3 months on average!
I know someone that wears their sheitel every single day a minimum of 12 hours per day and it definitely needs a monthly wash!!
I also know ppl that wash only twice a year and although I understand w&s are costly, the sheitel are usually dirty and smelly!

thank you for your reply! I live in a warmer area (especially summer time and the last few weeks) and wear my sheitel whenever I go out. It’s reassuring to know that I can wash it every 4-6 weeks Very Happy

SuperWify

Post Sat, Oct 02 2021, 4:19 pm
Weekday wigs- about every 4-8 weeks, depending on how often it was worn

Shabbos- probably every 3 months or more. Like before R”H, Pesach for sure adds well as 2-3 other times in the year as needed.
I do get it reset more often, rather then to always wash it.

SuperWify

Post Sat, Oct 02 2021, 4:21 pm
roseyskies wrote:

I wash my Irene pretty often and it’s still amazing over five years later. Make sure to brush the nape gently every night spray with a de-tangling spray.

amother
Narcissus

Post Sat, Oct 02 2021, 5:16 pm
Chickensoupprof wrote:
my sister is a top sheitel macher and says this is not true. She says there has to be a middle way. To little ruines the skin top and the net of the sheitel and washing to often + styling will ruin the hair quicker. So not very often but often enough

amother
Anemone

Post Sat, Oct 02 2021, 8:04 pm
A little of the topic but anyone have links to good video on how to wash a sheitel yourself.

amother
Bone

Post Sat, Oct 02 2021, 11:32 pm
https://youtu.be/Cfwde-ncRQQ
https://youtu.be/gtJUEsUz0h4

Earnest

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 11:09 pm
I wash it when the hair fibers begin to look yuck-every 4-6 weeks if it gets heavy wear. The safest way is to safely pin the sides of the shaitel onto a styrofoam head after gently detangling it (from the bottom up towards the cap). Avoid placing pins through the top of the wig to prevent holes that lead to bald spots. Pour diluted shampoo over top/cap of wig and gently stroke the liquid over, down the sides, and back of the wig. Avoid pulling/tugging on the hair. Avoid rough scrubbing of cap. Think: hand washing delicates. After rinsing out shampoo, avoid putting conditioner on or near the cap cause that's when wigs get ruined: the conditioner dissolves the bond between hair and cap. Only put conditioner on hair while it's held away from the cap, or below the cap, and it is fine.

Last edited by Earnest on Wed, Oct 13 2021, 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
NeonPink

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 11:15 pm
Really depends on the weather. It’s very hot and humid here most of the year so can be as often as every 3 weeks in summer. Winter months I can do a 2 month stretch.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels