Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Non Stop Talking!!! My brain is exploding!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 03 2021, 1:54 pm
My kids have adhd, some more than others.

It’s a struggle in general. But their non stop talking is literally making my brain explode. I don’t mean their talking amongst themselves, but talking to me, and needing me to carry on never ending conversations with them. Doesn’t help that I’m an introvert and need my space and quiet.

I cannot take the non stop talking! Oftentimes about the most random things, that I honestly don’t have the brain space for. I really feel like my brain is about to explode.

I don’t want to make them feel shut down.

ora_43

Post Sun, Oct 03 2021, 2:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don’t want to make them feel shut down.

Reasonable limits are a good thing. Think of it as teaching your kids valuable life skills. The same way you insist on things like basic table manners or personal hygiene at home, it's OK to insist on basic conversational etiquette like, "I'm reading this book now. I'd be happy to talk to you in fifteen minutes," or "Let's continue this conversation later."

As long as you're available to talk to them regularly, and show genuine interest in what they have to say, they're not going to be damaged by not having 24/7 access.

amother
Honey

Post Sun, Oct 03 2021, 3:25 pm
I get overstimulated sometimes and I get that brain feeling from too much talking - especially when I have stuff on my own mind that’s taking up brain space!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)