Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Shaloseudos For Shabbos Hagodol -- What To Serve?
Previous  1  2

shalhevet

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 10:19 am
Marion wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
sarahd wrote:
Marion, erev Pesach after zeman biur chometz (or is it after chatzos?) is the same as Pesach with regard to what you can eat

From zman achilas chametz, it is midrabanan not to eat chometz. From chatzos (halachic midday) it is midoraiysa already, because it was (and iyH will be) the time of bringing the korban Pesach. So, no halachic difference for all the chumras.

The time when there is machlokes if you can eat KLP kitnios is the FOLLOWING Shabbos for those of us in EY, when it will be Isru Chag for us. We don't eat anything we don't eat on Pesach, because there is an inyan of what was muktza when Shabbos came in (which is before Pesach finishes at tzeis hakochavim) is muktza for the whole Shabbos. Besides which, keilim problems etc. The interesting question is, if we go and visit Sephardim that Shabbos, whose kitnios was not muktza, if we can nash on some of their Bamba. Ask your LOR.

I want to ask dh about making gebrokts for that Shabbos, but I seem to remember there was some problem with it - maybe the keilim for next year.

But kitniot (KLP or otherwise) is NOT chametz.

But since it couldn't be eaten when Shabbos came in, it was muktza then, and something muktza when Shabbos comes in remains muktza for the whole of that Shabbos, even if the reason has passed. Like laundry that was wet when Shabbos came in, stays muktza even after it dries.

I asked dh about the kitnios that belonged to Sephardim on such a Shabbos, and there is no problem for Ashkenazim to eat it after nightfall. I presume also kitnios that could be used eg cornflour for babies, could then be eaten by adults that Shabbos.

shalhevet

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 10:20 am
chocolate moose wrote:
Hannah! wrote:
I'd like to serve one or two more dishes as well in order to make the seuda more like a nice yuntif meal and less like a snack on a piece of fruit.

Why? It's not yomtov. I'm not making a fuss of it here. We're gonna eat whatevr we have/are allowed to eat.

Yom ze mechubad mikol yamim... Echol mashmanim, shtei mamtakim...

JewishMother18

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 10:44 am
shalhevet wrote:
Jewish Mother wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
The time when there is machlokes if you can eat KLP kitnios is the FOLLOWING Shabbos for those of us in EY, when it will be Isru Chag for us. We don't eat anything we don't eat on Pesach, because there is an inyan of what was muktza when Shabbos came in (which is before Pesach finishes at tzeis hakochavim) is muktza for the whole Shabbos. Besides which, keilim problems etc. The interesting question is, if we go and visit Sephardim that Shabbos, whose kitnios was not muktza, if we can nash on some of their Bamba.

Can you (generic you) eat kitniot on disposable plates erev Pesach?

Only up to sof zman achilas chometz. You (also generic) have to keep all your minhagim/ chumrot whatever from that time.

Thanks Shalhevet

Hannah!

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 11:10 am
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Sun, May 04 2008, 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

Marion

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 3:20 pm
shalhevet wrote:
Marion wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
sarahd wrote:
Marion, erev Pesach after zeman biur chometz (or is it after chatzos?) is the same as Pesach with regard to what you can eat

From zman achilas chametz, it is midrabanan not to eat chometz. From chatzos (halachic midday) it is midoraiysa already, because it was (and iyH will be) the time of bringing the korban Pesach. So, no halachic difference for all the chumras.

The time when there is machlokes if you can eat KLP kitnios is the FOLLOWING Shabbos for those of us in EY, when it will be Isru Chag for us. We don't eat anything we don't eat on Pesach, because there is an inyan of what was muktza when Shabbos came in (which is before Pesach finishes at tzeis hakochavim) is muktza for the whole Shabbos. Besides which, keilim problems etc. The interesting question is, if we go and visit Sephardim that Shabbos, whose kitnios was not muktza, if we can nash on some of their Bamba. Ask your LOR.

I want to ask dh about making gebrokts for that Shabbos, but I seem to remember there was some problem with it - maybe the keilim for next year.

But since it couldn't be eaten when Shabbos came in, it was muktza then, and something muktza when Shabbos comes in remains muktza for the whole of that Shabbos, even if the reason has passed. Like laundry that was wet when Shabbos came in, stays muktza even after it dries.

I asked dh about the kitnios that belonged to Sephardim on such a Shabbos, and there is no problem for Ashkenazim to eat it after nightfall. I presume also kitnios that could be used eg cornflour for babies, could then be eaten by adults that Shabbos.

Why can't you eat kitniyot when Shabbat comes in?

shalhevet

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 3:25 pm
Marion wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
Marion wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
sarahd wrote:

Because we are always machmir in both directions. We say the time between shkiya and tzeit hakochavim is a safek, so we count it as both Shabbos and Pesach. Same as when Tisha B'Av is on Motzai Shabbos you cannot eat from shkiya onwards, even though it's still Shabbos.

Marion

Post Thu, Mar 27 2008, 4:01 am
shalhevet wrote:
Marion wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
Marion wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
sarahd wrote:

Because we are always machmir in both directions. We say the time between shkiya and tzeit hakochavim is a safek, so we count it as both Shabbos and Pesach. Same as when Tisha B'Av is on Motzai Shabbos you cannot eat from shkiya onwards, even though it's still Shabbos.
That doesn't explain to me why on Friday afternoon I can't eat kitniyot. If I'm in the middle of eating rice, stop to light candles and make kiddush, why can't I keep eating my rice?

shalhevet

Post Thu, Mar 27 2008, 4:13 am
Marion wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
Marion wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
Marion wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
sarahd wrote:

That doesn't explain to me why on Friday afternoon I can't eat kitniyot. If I'm in the middle of eating rice, stop to light candles and make kiddush, why can't I keep eating my rice?

Marion, I'm confused. Which Friday afternoon? This Friday afternoon? Friday afternoon when it's Pesach? Someone whose minhag is to eat rice on Pesach? Someone who doesn't?

Tamiri

Post Thu, Mar 27 2008, 4:53 am
I think she means Friday erev Pesach this year, when Pesach doesn't begin until Motzash. So you can probably eat whatever you want until the zman on Shabbat morning, as long as the logistics don't get in the way.
Kitniyot are not chometz, even on Pesach. You don't sell kitniyot. Supposedly you can even eat off a plate that has kitniyot on it without it "ruining" the food you are eating.

grin

Post Thu, Mar 27 2008, 4:53 am
we eat kosher l'pesach kitniyos this Shabbos (even tho we wouldn't eat it on Pesahc - up to hadlakas neros, of course).
matzo ashiro is more of a prob. than gebrochts - and if you put gebrocht on your keilim (and you're makpid on Pesach, you can only use them next year, not this year.
so, that Shabbos (inc. in the aft.) we'll eat processed kosher l'pesach food on disposables.

[sorry if this was all said already - didn't read the whole thread.]

Zus

Post Thu, Mar 27 2008, 8:49 am
What is shalosh seudot? All 3 meals on shabbes?

I will probably host the whole family here. Let me think what we did a few years ago when it happened.
IIRC, we ate all 3 meals with matza ashira, and I cooked pretty much as usual. We don't realy eat chametz stuff on shabbes except the challah. I remember making my regular cholent and FIL not touching it because of a weird minhag. I think that he has since shed this minhag (after talking to his rav).
I think that we will do the same thing this year, plus an earlier than usual seudah shlishit because we have the whole festive yontef meal in the evening.

mummy-bh

Post Thu, Mar 27 2008, 8:59 am
grin wrote:
we eat kosher l'pesach kitniyos this Shabbos (even tho we wouldn't eat it on Pesahc - up to hadlakas neros, of course).
matzo ashiro is more of a prob. than gebrochts - and if you put gebrocht on your keilim (and you're makpid on Pesach, you can only use them next year, not this year.
so, that Shabbos (inc. in the aft.) we'll eat processed kosher l'pesach food on disposables.

[sorry if this was all said already - didn't read the whole thread.]

We don't eat any thing on that shabbos, after the time that one is not allowed chometz, that we would not eat for the whole of Pesach.

This applies on every erev pesach, in any year.

BrachaC

Post Thu, Mar 27 2008, 9:01 am
the zman for eating chametz is very early, so we will have challah and fish when the men come home from shul, those who want to walk around the block and wash again to be yotzeh seudah shlishis will do so, and then early afternoon I will serve Pesach cholent (or stew whatever you call it). Even if Pesach would be on Tuesday night I would have planned a meal for before yom tov so that people won't be hungry. This is actually better, because I can feed all of the guests sleeping over and know that they won't be hungry and cranky.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics