Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Preparing ENTIRE Second Seder Meal On Fri. - Advice Needed

amother

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 11:05 am

(Amother to protect the guest's identity, as some board members know me and might be able to figure it out.)

One of the guests who we invited for the second seder (on Sun. night) is not yet Jewish. (I did not know this at the time that the invitation was extended.) So, I need to prepare ALL of the food for the second seder on Erev Shabbos.

Can anyone make suggestions for dishes (particularly green vegetables) that would still be tasty after two days in the fridge? I'm fine with a main and dessert, but I really can't come up with a good vegetable other than roasted potatoes, and I really don't like the thought of eating something so carby that late at night after all of the matzah, and I really want to be able to prepare something that I'll anticipate eating for Shulchan Orech.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 12:21 pm
after all the matz and maror, do you realy serve "dinner" ?

we have a little fish/sald and soup and zehu.

Amital

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 12:38 pm
Spinach quiche, maybe carrots, or steamed asparagus served cold?

I hate to sound ignorant, but...why would you have to prepare the entire meal in advance just because someone is not Jewish? (My guess would be cooking for a non Jew on Yom Tov?) Just curious, and always trying to learn! Smile

Tehilla

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 1:06 pm
but you're allowed to cook for guests as a whole, like the whole family and if it happens to be that there is a non-Jew there, to serve out some for them. you can't dafka cook just for them, but you are allowed to be cooking for all your Jewish guests and increase a portion to include your non-Jewish guest.

there are many laws about this, but there are whole sections in the Hilchos Yom Tov by Rabbi Simcha Bunim Cohen, amongst others.

ihyphenated

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 1:08 am
sometimes its convenient to make veggies ahead anyway...
here are some good ones..
u can prep salads and things that dont involve melacha etc on yontiff (consult posek maybe)
greeeen beeeans- theyre delicious steamed untill crisp-tender then tossed with olive oil, a bit of garlic, pepper, and red wine vinegar (heinz red wine vinegar has an OUP but there are lots of heimish brands as well....) those keep in the fridge for ever and get better with time. yum.
(do some ppl think these are kitniyot??? my family eats kitniyot but I was wondering if these qualify. they are a green veggie....)

Roasted carrots also keep for a long time covered in the fridge.
zuchinni kugel or mashed zuchinnis w tomato sauce... my friend makes that and its awesome, good cold or hot and gets better after sitting in the fridge....

Tamiri

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 5:47 am
Make antipasti. It's delicious even 2 days later.

BrachaC

Post Thu, Mar 27 2008, 9:04 am
Second vote for zuccini in tomato sauce. That is my usual second night YT (or in this case third) vegatable. I tend to make something like that or a veggie kugel but also serve a salad; however, seder night I do not usually serve a salad, because everyone has just eaten tons of romaine lettuce.

sarahd

Post Thu, Mar 27 2008, 9:28 am
ihyph - yes, green beans are kitniyos.

Zucchini is a good idea, pepper antipasti also (if you use peppers on Pesach.) How about beets? My mother makes lovely Waldorf beets in a gorgeous, sweet purple sauce. You can make julienned vegetables sort of stir-fried in a sauce (chicken broth, potato starch, wine, a bit of sugar and salt). Sweet carrots.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics