Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Washing my new lace top wig myself

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 03 2021, 4:20 am
I just got this wig that I've been wearing over YT and the Sheitel Macher originally told me I need to wash it myself every week but didn't yet have a chance to show me how. (She was rushing to get it to me before YT.)

And in general I'm not sure I want to wait on her, because she probably doesn't really have time to give as much instruction as I want/need and it will probably be some time till she has an appointment.

1) Any advice on how to do this? Youtube links?

2) What NOT to do? I am willing to experiment but I am terrified of ruining the lace or hair in some way. It's lace top and lace front. It seems really delicate.

TIA for any help!

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Sun, Oct 03 2021, 8:07 am
Every week?!
That doesn't sound right.
Especially for a lace top that is delicate I'm the first place, those should he washed even less frequently than regular wigs.

What company wig is this?

amother
Daphne

Post Sun, Oct 03 2021, 8:28 am
You are not supposed to wash wigs that often

amother
Chestnut

Post Sun, Oct 03 2021, 8:36 am
Did she just mean the lace front needs to be washed every week from makeup? And not the actual hair.

amother
Molasses

Post Sun, Oct 03 2021, 10:18 am
Def don’t wash it weekly

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 1:46 am
Hmmm I don't know! It's definitely what she said. it is curly (not very) and when I was deciding whether to go for that, she said curly will need to be washed every week. So far I've had it since before Rosh Hashanah (wearing it most days at least for a little while) and I think maybe it was a little nicer in the beginning, but I can't say it is super obvious that it needs a wash.

I don't think it's a known brand, she manufactures them herself and I'd rather not share her name for my own anonymity reasons.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 1:48 am
amother [ Chestnut ] wrote:
Did she just mean the lace front needs to be washed every week from makeup? And not the actual hair.

I don't think she means that, because she showed me how to put the makeup on kind of in a way of "just if I want to like for a special event" and I only did it once (but with the wrong kind and I gently rubbed it off and didn't do it again).

Hmmmm....

cookiewriter

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 8:03 am
I bought a lace front in March. Have washed it twice since then. (I don’t wear it daily)

nicole81

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 8:32 am
Definitely not that often. Wash it when it smells or when if looks like it needs it. If it's a full lace top, you need to be very delicate with it. I've gone months without washing wigs.

Fill up a basin with the shampoo and lukewarm water and gently swirl your wig around. I like to brush the shampoo through the hair too, but some lace tops may be too delicate for that. If the water comes out very dirty, repeat. Rinse it through with fresh water until the shampoo is out. Use a moisturizing conditioner all over but not directly at the knots (ie not on the lace part). Let your wig sit with the conditioner anywhere from 2 min to as long as you can wait. Comb the hair through and rinse the conditioner out.

Place the wig on a big towel and gently roll the wig up in the towel to remove excess water. Hang the wig to dry. Some people dry on sheitel heads. That's fine but if your wig cap is small, it can stretch on the head so you can dry over a soda bottle, doorknob, etc... Whatever works. For curls, drying upside down works nicely (I do that by clipping the bottom of the cap to a skirt hanger).

If there's makeup on the lace, wash gently by hand or with a extra soft bristled toothbrush.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics