Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
What will happen with my American-Israeli sons and the army?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 7:04 pm
I am an Israeli citizen (I was born in Israel to Israeli-citizen parents) and all of my children are Israeli. We moved back to the US when my boys were 5 and 2 years old. What will happen when they want to go study in Eretz Yisroel after high school? Is it so simple that they can just get a deferment as long as they are in yeshiva? Or will it be more complicated? (Someone told me that they can get a deferment as long as they're in yeshiva, but they won't be allowed to leave Israel.) Should I renounce their citizenship? What are the implications of that?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 7:34 am
bump

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 7:38 am
How can you be sure that by the time your boys reach 17, there won't be a draft? Or maybe there will be, but your sons will want to serve?

Check in with the embassy/consulate near you. There's paperwork to deal with, but lots of people have dealt with it successfully.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 7:47 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am an Israeli citizen (I was born in Israel to Israeli-citizen parents) and all of my children are Israeli. We moved back to the US when my boys were 5 and 2 years old. What will happen when they want to go study in Eretz Yisroel after high school? Is it so simple that they can just get a deferment as long as they are in yeshiva? Or will it be more complicated? (Someone told me that they can get a deferment as long as they're in yeshiva, but they won't be allowed to leave Israel.) Should I renounce their citizenship? What are the implications of that?

B'li ayin hara, there will be peace by then, so they will not need to serve.

Or perhaps they will want to serve, proudly protecting their homeland.

For a gap year, they will be able to get a student visa based on US citizenship, but will need to periodically leave for a few days so they don't establish Israeli residency that would trigger their obligation to serve in the IDF. Most yeshivas are familiar with this, and will help the student deal with it.

I'm not sure how that works beyond a shana alef, maybe shana bet. They would, however, presumably be able to take advantage of the deferments used by others in yeshiva.

amother
Snow

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 2:10 pm
I think they will only be able to come for one year, but who knows what the law will be by that time.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 8:07 am
Thanks for all the replies, but is there anyone on here who's been through this and actually knows the facts (not just speculation)? The embassies are impossible to get through to, I've tried reaching chaim v'chessed with no reply, and I just need to know facts in order to figure out what to do.

amother
Cognac

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 8:28 am
My nephew is dealing with it now... He couldn't stay in yeshiva for x amount of months at a time and came home early for bain hazmanim or he would have had trouble with being drafted.

My cousin and brother-in-law have successfully made 'bitul ezrachut'. It's a headache but it prevented lots of headaches in the following years.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 8:39 am
amother [ Cognac ] wrote:
My nephew is dealing with it now... He couldn't stay in yeshiva for x amount of months at a time and came home early for bain hazmanim or he would have had trouble with being drafted.

My cousin and brother-in-law have successfully made 'bitul ezrachut'. It's a headache but it prevented lots of headaches in the following years.

Thank you! Do you know anyone who would be willing to speak to me to share the info they've learned, or do they have any resource to recommend being in touch with? I can give you an email address to send their contact info if you are willing.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 8:44 am
Bumping this - does anyone know what the deal is with American boys who are Israeli citizens and want to learn (or live) in Israel for a few years?

amother
Sunflower

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 8:50 am
My father hasn’t traveled to Israel in nearly 30 years because even though he’s not a citizen anymore his birthplace is listed as Jerusalem and he says they can give him problems based on that. Though at this point he’s likely too old anyway. I don’t know if that’s true nowadays just putting it out there.
Personally, I’d renounce. If they wanted to serve they can always do so as a lone soldier, but why not save yourself the headache of a draft.

amother
Heather

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 8:51 am
amother Periwinkle wrote:
B'li ayin hara, there will be peace by then, so they will not need to serve.

Or perhaps they will want to serve, proudly protecting their homeland.

מחר כשהצבא יפשוט מדיו
ליבנו יעבור לדום
אחר כל איש יבנה בשתי ידיו
את מה שהוא חלם היום

We've been praying for this for decades, hasn't happened yet but who knows....

scruffy

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 8:52 am
My dh had this and it was complicated. I think ultimately he just wasn't able to stay very long.

His brother stayed as a lone soldier btw so not sure how everything works exactly.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 8:53 am
amother OP wrote:
Bumping this - does anyone know what the deal is with American boys who are Israeli citizens and want to learn (or live) in Israel for a few years?
I am almost sure they need to get a deferment from the army.
Speak to NBN. They probably know everything you need to do.

DrMom

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 8:56 am
I believe that unless they manage to get a deferment, they will be drafted if they show up in E"Y at age 18+.

But check with NBN or with your Consulate.

esuss

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 11:20 am
There is an organization that helps Yeshiva bochurim and seminary girls with such issues. Sorry that I forgot what it’s called be in touch with them when it gets closer to when you are sending them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions