Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Theoretical/future relocation

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 9:12 pm
I'm not looking to move in the next few years, but after that I will be. I'm interested to hear of some places that might work for us, and possibly look into some of them more. There are also some things that I can use a few years to plan, like if I have an idea of housing costs in the place I may live. I just want to be clear that I'm not looking for advice on places to move to now-so if there's something that is only now (like particular covid rules or something like that) and likely not in a few years (2-5), then it's not important to know.
We are a young, relatively yeshivish family from NY. We'd want to move to a place either with a yeshivish type of community, or a group of yeshivish type of families in a kiruv/growing community.
Not a brand-new community in middle of nowhere, where there's no minyan or frum school. (Though a community like that now, may be the "right" size at the time that we move.) But it also doesn't have to have a shul and kosher restaurant on every block-small and OOT is fine. (Prefer to have local girls' and boys' high schools, but not a must.)
It would be quite nice if the place has a lower cost of living (yes, kosher food may cost more, but I mean that the homes have space for kids to play, without costing $1M+). I assume this is common when moving OOT.
Jobs are not part of the equation at the moment, since remote work is an option if there's no better option locally.

I'd also be interesting in hearing if you have any random advice for me-maybe things you wish you'd known a few years before moving, or for an in-towner moving "out of town".

amother
Bluebell

Post Sun, Oct 03 2021, 1:20 pm
Waterbury might be a nice place for you . One school only but with Yeshivish hashkafos. Nice grocery with fleshing takeout and a pizza store. Shop rite has a dedicated kosher section including cholov Yisrael and does home delivery. Enough shuls to choose from - Yeshiva minyan, shteibel full of young people, main shul and more. Terrific sheital macher, nice playgroups . Housing is affordable but houses are a little hard to find so pre-planning might be a good idea. If you buy before you are ready to move it is usually easy to rent it out. Hatzlacha !

shaimac1

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 3:03 pm
Hi! I actually live in the exact community you are talking about! South Bend, Indiana! Centrally located in the Midwest 2 hours from Chicago, 3.5 hours from Detroit and 4 hours from Cleveland. We are a growing OOT established community with a Torah Day School, Girls Bais Yaakov High School, the Yeshiva Gedola of South Bend, Kollel, Kosher store with Cholov Yisroel Milk, Take out Fleshig and Take out Pizza store. BH our community has grown and will IY"H continue to grow and homes are priced fair and property taxes are very affordable. We also have school vouchers and the SGO program that allows families to make a good annual salary and still get free tuition example currently a family with 3 kids can make up to $172,272 a year and still qualify and that will just go up with inflation and the more children you have. You can also think about attending the virtual OU Community Fair in Feb 2022 https://www.ou.org/fair/ just to get some ideas. Do your research visit the communities you are thinking about and IY"H you will be successful! Feel free to DM me!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating