Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
One more frum attempt before jumping ship? (EDIT: books!!!)
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Ridethewaves

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 3:21 pm
Sorry I’m jumping in I didn’t read the whole thread or get the Twitter thing but I once read a Jewish novel that was supposed to be kind of creepy called skyscrapers. Very very different from your storyline but maybe that’ll help you a bit? Also I’m very not an author (could you tell??) so maybe it’s off the mark. Keep your head up, you’re awesome!

tryinghard

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 4:01 pm
Ignore the woke mob. As you are experiencing, there’s no winning. They eat their own because it’s impossible to be woke enough, there’s always some way to construe offense.
So just block and ignore and take the positive feedback seriously - there clearly IS an audience there.

Kiwi13

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 4:12 pm
tryinghard wrote:
Ignore the woke mob. As you are experiencing, there’s no winning. They eat their own because it’s impossible to be woke enough, there’s always some way to construe offense.
So just block and ignore and take the positive feedback seriously - there clearly IS an audience there.

I got tons of support too. There was an all out war on that thread. I did a lot of delete and block to clean things up. B"H there are good people and friendly segments of the world. But the ugliness screams louder, which is unfortunate.

I'm not sure where I'll ultimately go with my writing from here. The support on here has been good, as has the support of my new twitter followers (I shot up by almost 800 over the course of this fiasco!) who strongly encouraged me to persevere. They were mostly older, religious (varying faiths), and parents. I found it interesting.

Most of the vicious attackers were young, had "alternative" appearances and bios, and used hashtags that wiped away all doubt about their loyalties.

chanatron1000

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 4:19 pm
When you have something to sell, as much as haters will try to convince you otherwise, it really doesn't matter how many people hate it. The people who matter are your customer base, readership or audience. They are not diminished in any way by the opposition, and in fact, a little bit of controversy can even make more potential readers aware of your books. Haters' words can hurt, but that's all they have. They have to buy your book to burn it, and they can't boycott it because they weren't part of your readership in the first place.

Kiwi13

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 4:52 pm
chanatron1000 wrote:
When you have something to sell, as much as haters will try to convince you otherwise, it really doesn't matter how many people hate it. The people who matter are your customer base, readership or audience. They are not diminished in any way by the opposition, and in fact, a little bit of controversy can even make more potential readers aware of your books. Haters' words can hurt, but that's all they have. They have to buy your book to burn it, and they can't boycott it because they weren't part of your readership in the first place.

True. Hard pill to swallow though. I don't like being hated on. Who does lol?

This is good perspective though. I'm screenshooting it for future self-pep-talks. Thank you Heart

4pom

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 5:01 pm
Oy!! Kiwi. I got so excited for you with the positive feedback.
It is real
And then the craziness of social media and negativity and bashing.

Its almost like theres this invisible bias to be destructive rather than supportive.
I think you can choose to reread the positivity and go with that.

Things have gotten so out of hand.
In a Facebook group ot therapists a white therapist was skewered for saying something about giving space to all races for their pain and experiences.
She was attacked that whites have no right to ask for understanding….
I wont bother sharing the craziness and details but giving you another example of why not to take the hate to heart.
You have plenty to give. There is an audience for your work.

Kiwi13

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 5:06 pm
4pom wrote:
Oy!! Kiwi. I got so excited for you with the positive feedback.
It is real
And then the craziness of social media and negativity and bashing.

Its almost like theres this invisible bias to be destructive rather than supportive.
I think you can choose to reread the positivity and go with that.

Things have gotten so out of hand.
In a Facebook group ot therapists a white therapist was skewered for saying something about giving space to all races for their pain and experiences.
She was attacked that whites have no right to ask for understanding….
I wont bother sharing the craziness and details but giving you another example of why not to take the hate to heart.
You have plenty to give. There is an audience for your work.

Thank you so much for this. I've been having trouble with the "woke" attacks in the world, but this is the first time it was directed at me like this.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 5:13 pm
cancel culture is all too real as is the woke mob

maybe once its happened - uch - you can use it to help motivate yourself that your words are powerful! Your writing is effective!

They only target the ones they are afraid of who are good at what they do like you!

Kiwi13

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 5:17 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
cancel culture is all too real as is the woke mob

maybe once its happened - uch - you can use it to help motivate yourself that your words are powerful! Your writing is effective!

They only target the ones they are afraid of who are good at what they do like you!

Aww!! Best spin on it I've heard all day!! Thank you!!!!

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 5:18 pm
no spin
the truth
you have what to offer
go for it
stay focussed and do not let that garbage pull you off track

amother
Molasses

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 5:21 pm
please write! I have a 11 year old who is going to need good literature, we are trying to up her reading level (as in we want her to be able to read quality literature, she said her friends often read a lot but children's books) and I am concerned about finding her appropriate literature.

Kiwi13

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 5:27 pm
amother [ Molasses ] wrote:
please write! I have a 11 year old who is going to need good literature, we are trying to up her reading level (as in we want her to be able to read quality literature, she said her friends often read a lot but children's books) and I am concerned about finding her appropriate literature.

Are you cool with haunted houses? TMI

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 5:29 pm
maybe you could make it a ruin or abandoned house...Wink

seriously you do you

and let it flow

Kiwi13

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 5:35 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
maybe you could make it a ruin or abandoned house...Wink

seriously you do you

and let it flow

Interesting idea... not sure it'll work the same, but it's an idea. I'll let it bounce around a bit.

You know what, as I'm writing this it clicked - an abandoned house really could work in the context of the story, better than a haunted house could... although there would still need to be a commercial aspect (like an attraction)... let me see what I can do. This could work, though!!! I'm excited!!!

amother
Molasses

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 6:31 pm
if a book is a good book I think my dh would get mad at me for nixing it because it has a "haunted house" I can totally see him him say it's pretend. look at my daughter, you know it's pretend, fiction means pretend right. good, ok can we move on now.

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 8:01 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
So interesting that they're saying the secular YA market is disappearing. When I have time I will google.

If you are interested, I remember the name of the book I mentioned. Paperback Crush by Gabrielle Moss. I really had a fun time revisiting the books of my youth. I think I had read just about every book (or at least remembered seeing them around in the library or friends' houses) mentioned in this book.

champion

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 10:44 pm
Knowing my daughters and their friends there is a market for these books.
They are reading both jewish and secular books and could use something more relatable.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 12:19 pm
I have not read the whole thread so maybe someone mentioned it, but I think self publishing is the way to go. You’re right that it’s almost impossible to thread that needle—frum enough for a frum audience while also being authentic and honest about frum life. I haven’t started researching it so much but you can make money off Amazon kindle.

Yes, you have to grow your own audience and no, you most likely won’t be a millionaire but then very few writers do. But nowadays there are so many ways you can reach potential readers and we don’t need the gatekeepers of frum or traditional publishers.

Kiwi13

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 2:10 pm
I decided to try the indie route and publish through Amazon KDP. I put most of my writing projects on hold to focus on a novel called LIMINAL. Here’s the blurb I wrote for the back cover:

Emotionally repressed firefighter Libby visits her estranged mother’s grave after an ultimatum from her boss – face her demons or resign. The lonely trip resurrects a heartache Libby buried long ago, prompting her to finally confront her past after years of stubborn denial.

That night, Libby finds herself trapped in a lucid dream with her childhood self, desperate to heal a lifetime of unresolved grief. Together they plod through unsettlingly familiar places cloaked in a heavy fog felt but never seen. Libby relentlessly and painfully pieces together fragmented memories and their collective meanings, yet the door to the waking world remains locked.

Her years spent heavily policing the borders of her mind have resulted in an existential disconnect. When the portal to consciousness is eclipsed by another, more ominous door, Libby suspects she’s hovering between far more than awake and asleep. Logic and factual understanding won’t be enough to free her from her demons - or from the dream. Libby’s neglected inner child waited a long time for her arrival and isn’t about to let her go without finishing what she came here to do.

scruffy

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 2:12 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:
I decided to try the indie route and publish through Amazon KDP. I put most of my writing projects on hold to focus on a novel called LIMINAL. Here’s the blurb I wrote for the back cover:

Emotionally repressed firefighter Libby visits her estranged mother’s grave after an ultimatum from her boss – face her demons or resign. The lonely trip resurrects a heartache Libby buried long ago, prompting her to finally confront her past after years of stubborn denial.

That night, Libby finds herself trapped in a lucid dream with her childhood self, desperate to heal a lifetime of unresolved grief. Together they plod through unsettlingly familiar places cloaked in a heavy fog felt but never seen. Libby relentlessly and painfully pieces together fragmented memories and their collective meanings, yet the door to the waking world remains locked.

Her years spent heavily policing the borders of her mind have resulted in an existential disconnect. When the portal to consciousness is eclipsed by another, more ominous door, Libby suspects she’s hovering between far more than awake and asleep. Logic and factual understanding won’t be enough to free her from her demons - or from the dream. Libby’s neglected inner child waited a long time for her arrival and isn’t about to let her go without finishing what she came here to do.

Love the title!! I learned the word liminal on Imamother Smile
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club