Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Calling all OTs, PTs and SLPs

elmommy

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 1:05 pm
I know there have been a lot of threads with kvetching. I've been doing OT for a bunch of years and am really disheartened right now. I want to hear all of your experiences with as much detail as possible- setting, hours, salaried, location etc. I need to know if what I want is realistic or if I need to make some life changes.

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 1:36 pm
I'm an ot worked in a public school special Ed setting for 2 years. Then it got too much with the environment and travel and at home expectations with paperwork. Switched to something very very part time as in 2 days per week by a fun person. Depending on ur area there may be options for more part time- it may not be the field you're disheartened with but maybe the overload of work.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 2:11 pm
elmommy wrote:
I know there have been a lot of threads with kvetching. I've been doing OT for a bunch of years and am really disheartened right now. I want to hear all of your experiences with as much detail as possible- setting, hours, salaried, location etc. I need to know if what I want is realistic or if I need to make some life changes.

What are you disheartened about?

amother
Oleander

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 2:46 pm
I am an OT working in a public school district for about 6 years. I really like it. I don't think I could find a better job.

Pros of my job:
Really short commute
Mostly pleasant colleagues
I really enjoy the kids I work with
I DO NOT, by any means, complete work at home. I am part of a union and only obligated to work during very specific school hours. If I do have to do something at home I get paid for the time.
Generous sick leave
Time off for YT with minimal docking of pay
Getting paid on a salary schedule
Really good insurance and retirement
Lots of random "holidays" off
Summer vacation!

Cons:
I work in many buildings so it is hard to "belong" when I am somewhere else everyday or 2 places per day.
Minimal supplies
Annoying process to get new supplies or take care of any "housekeeping" tasks
Full time hrs - 7:45 -3:15 every single day. Yes that includes Fridays. Even in the winter.
My vacation schedule doesn't align with my kids' vacation

It works for me very well but wouldn't work for everyone!

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 2:54 pm
I'm a speech therapist in NJ and I do Early Intervention. I make 70$ an hour. I dont have much raising potential in this current job maybe upto 75/80. Maybe. I love the age and the impact on families I can make. I love that they age out after 3 years. But I also hate that. I love that the schedule is so flexible and constantly changing but I also hate that. Lol. My main con for the job is no co workers, so no work social life really. I think it's great that I can work 6 hours a week one year and then 20 hours a week another. Very flexible. Kind of like your own boss but without the con of being your own boss. So I would say lack of social life and no pay increases are my biggest cons.
All in all though I'm happy Baruch Hashem!

elmommy

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 7:53 pm
Very disheartened by the fact that in my area there are almost no jobs that are salaried and everything is fee for service which is great for flexibility but ends up meaning part time salary on a full time schedule making about $50,000 a year even though my hours and child care are full time.
There's limited room for growth and raise in salary. I got a raise this year and was told that is very rare.
I had a stable job which was fee for service and very consistent and in a minute they were able to drop me for no reason at all. There's no loyalty or commitment when this is the case.
Lots of outside work expected for no extra pay usually.
I overall just feel very limited and cant see myself doing this for so long.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 7:59 pm
I am an OT and graduated a year ago and I am working for a year at a frum special education school in New York. I started off at around 80 an hour (don't want to give exact number publicly). I work 30 hours a week and my job is salaried. I am off summers, so I spent last summer working for an agency. I think my current setup is fantastic, though I realize the salary is likely specific to New York.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 7:59 pm
elmommy wrote:
Very disheartened by the fact that in my area there are almost no jobs that are salaried and everything is fee for service which is great for flexibility but ends up meaning part time salary on a full time schedule making about $50,000 a year even though my hours and child care are full time.
There's limited room for growth and raise in salary. I got a raise this year and was told that is very rare.
I had a stable job which was fee for service and very consistent and in a minute they were able to drop me for no reason at all. There's no loyalty or commitment when this is the case.
Lots of outside work expected for no extra pay usually.
I overall just feel very limited and cant see myself doing this for so long.

What area do you live in? There is no public school district, hospitals, or nursing homes? Those jobs are usually salary based.

The complaints you have sound typical of pediatric agencies, so maybe you need to look at a different population. I personally have worked in various fields including hospitals, outpatient clinics and homecare. I now work in a public school for the salary and benefits. The working hours are hard, as is not being off when my kids are, but that's what I need to do right now. A huge plus to our field is that there are so many different areas to work in...maybe look into your options a bit more.

amother
Iris

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 8:06 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
I am an OT and graduated a year ago and I am working for a year at a frum special education school in New York. I started off at around 80 an hour (don't want to give exact number publicly). I work 30 hours a week and my job is salaried. I am off summers, so I spent last summer working for an agency. I think my current setup is fantastic, though I realize the salary is likely specific to New York.

How is it 80/hr and salaried? Which one is it? Salary or hourly? If its salary how much is the yearly salary?

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 8:09 pm
amother [ Iris ] wrote:
How is it 80/hr and salaried? Which one is it? Salary or hourly? If its salary how much is the yearly salary?

They calculate the salary according to what would be appropriate hourly pay. I get paid according to how many hours I am supposed to work and I don't lose money if a kid doesn't show or if there is no school one day. I don't feel comfortable posting the salary but you can do the math (it's for ten months of work- not twelve).

elmommy

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 8:19 pm
NYC is very different than where I live. Someone who moved from Brooklyn to my area was shocked at the salaries around here. Those other areas are options technically but are rarely hiring and I think they take advantage around here of the number of frum women who would rather flexibility over salary so very hard to find any salaried position. Even the district is hard to get a salaried position in.
I just keep hearing of OTs who left the field and am thinking more and more that just might be a very real option for me.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 8:21 pm
elmommy wrote:
NYC is very different than where I live. Someone who moved from Brooklyn to my area was shocked at the salaries around here. Those other areas are options technically but are rarely hiring and I think they take advantage around here of the number of frum women who would rather flexibility over salary so very hard to find any salaried position. Even the district is hard to get a salaried position in.
I just keep hearing of OTs who left the field and am thinking more and more that just might be a very real option for me.

Do you want to work full time?

There are no hospitals, nursing homes, rehab centers in your area? If that's the case then that is frustrating.

elmommy

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 8:25 pm
All the nursing homes do through outside agencies. Hospital is the one place I really dont want to work and rehab centers are also mostly outside agencies or I think outpatients are fee for service as well.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 8:29 pm
elmommy wrote:
All the nursing homes do through outside agencies. Hospital is the one place I really dont want to work and rehab centers are also mostly outside agencies or I think outpatients are fee for service as well.

Outside agencies sometimes do salary for full time workers.

elmommy

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 8:33 pm
can be. my current job told me I could be salaried when I took it and when I approached them recently they told me tey dont salary OTs. im just so burnt out and need to know whats out there thats realistic for me.

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 8:58 pm
R u in lkwd? Lkwd area has very few options as not so many special Ed schools and way too many therapists in town. But there are nursing homes that would prob do salary I'm assuming....

elmommy

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 9:48 pm
No but same idea

amother
Candycane

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 10:07 pm
Ill assume your in monsey and the new grad with salary is in Brooklyn
I feel you
Im a PT with a doctorate and extremely frustrated too
I work part time and end up making what a morah makes without Getting paid over vacation/yt/summer off/tuition breaks
My hourly rate has only decreased since I graduated
Therapy is not great at all anymore unless you want to go private

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 10:19 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
They calculate the salary according to what would be appropriate hourly pay. I get paid according to how many hours I am supposed to work and I don't lose money if a kid doesn't show or if there is no school one day. I don't feel comfortable posting the salary but you can do the math (it's for ten months of work- not twelve).

if youre anonymous and no one knows who you are why wouldnt you post the info? interesting

im an slp for yvy still in my cfy
make 60$ an hour
I dont get paid if a kid doesnt show up
I had tons of absences last year. hope I dont this year

each month my paycheck is diff. some months I can have 3000 some months 3700 some months 4200. depends. I was working 9-4:30 m-th
this year im m-th 9:30-3

deff my last year for yvy. want to get a doe job asap

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 11:18 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
if youre anonymous and no one knows who you are why wouldnt you post the info? interesting

im an slp for yvy still in my cfy
make 60$ an hour
I dont get paid if a kid doesnt show up
I had tons of absences last year. hope I dont this year

each month my paycheck is diff. some months I can have 3000 some months 3700 some months 4200. depends. I was working 9-4:30 m-th
this year im m-th 9:30-3

deff my last year for yvy. want to get a doe job asap

No need to be snarky, I just feel uncomfortable posting so much personal information, anonymous or not.
We are actually staying in Brooklyn for now because of my salary. We won’t be here for long because we don’t love the quality of life and I know I will take a huge pay cut anywhere else. I am hoping to accumulate enough experience and additional credentials in the next few years that I can get a decent salaried job wherever we decide to settle.
There are definitely detriments to my current job, though I don’t want to get too specific here.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics