Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
15 yr old dd still hasn’t gotten first period
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Bluebell

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 11:49 pm
Maybe take your daughter to an adolescent medicine doctor. They specialize in adolescent gynecology and would probably know much better if this is a concern or not.
If you need referrals in the tri state area, let me know.

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 12:28 am
My sisters my mom and I got our periods pretty early. Most between 10-13.
When my daughter turned 15 and she hadn't gotten hers yet I went to the pediatrician. She told me not to worry and if she doesn't get it within the next few months I can come see her again. She got her period at 15.5, a few months later.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 12:39 am
I also got my first period on my 16th birthday (my pediatrician also told us that until 16 is ok, and she would only get concerned after that), and was irregular for years. I got married several years later than my friends, and all those years had secret fear that I would have trouble having kids. BH BH I have a few already, kein yirbu, with oldest born very normal amount of time after my wedding and others following closely.
I hope your DD is totally fine too!!

amother
Nemesia

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 12:56 am
I was 15 and a half when I got my first period but even that period wasn’t so heavy and didn’t seem like a regular part of life until about 16/17 years old. My periods only became ‘regular’ cycle after I had a baby.

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 1:03 am
got my period at about 17. im perfectly fine. married and have seversl kids. friend of mine went to endo cuz her dd fully matured at age 9. he said you take mostly from father. and her dh siblings all developed early. so guess you need to check out your in laws cycles.

amother
Oldlace

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 1:57 am
Haven't read all the responses.
I took my DD to the pediatrician around her 15th birthday since she hadn't got her period and was pretty under-developed. DD actually asked me to make the appointment.
Doctor said as long as development has started (small breasts and pubic hair) - nothing to worry about.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 6:30 am
At 15 I wouldn't be worried, even if other familiy menbers started earlier. As others have said up to 16 is in the normal range and even if she starts later than that it doesn't necessarily mean there is a problem.

Does she show other signs of puberty? If so, did she start developing at a later ago than her sisters?

amother
Catmint

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 8:36 am
I got my period at 16. Best thing ever, I wish the same for my girls.
OP, before 16 there's nothing to worry about.

amother
Peachpuff

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 8:51 am
My DD got her period at 15 1/2. One thing her pediatrician told me at the previous visit was to load her up on calories and calcium, and that will help bring it on. Icecream, dairy products, etc...go for it OP. You'll feel relief when she gets it B"EH.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 05 2022, 10:19 pm
My dd just showed me that she has a dark hair line from her belly button down. It looks like a man! Yikes! Should I be concerned?!

amother
Mustard

Post Sat, Feb 05 2022, 10:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My dd just showed me that she has a dark hair line from her belly button down. It looks like a man! Yikes! Should I be concerned?!

No some people have that.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Sat, Feb 05 2022, 10:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

It can be normal. However, there's no harm in seeing a doctor.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Sat, Feb 05 2022, 10:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Completely normal. Google it.

amother
Amber

Post Sat, Feb 05 2022, 10:30 pm
amother [ Peachpuff ] wrote:
My DD got her period at 15 1/2. One thing her pediatrician told me at the previous visit was to load her up on calories and calcium, and that will help bring it on. Icecream, dairy products, etc...go for it OP. You'll feel relief when she gets it B"EH.
why would your dr tell you that? No reason to eat tons of calories. Eat healthy and that's it. It's normal to get at 16. I know someone who only got hers at 18. It's genetic.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sat, Feb 05 2022, 10:57 pm
Remember, this isn't a life and death situation. As long as she's showing other signs of development, what's the harm in just giving her time? The appointment is bound to be awkward for her.

On the other hand, if she's not developing in other ways, then there is more cause for concern.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Sat, Feb 05 2022, 11:33 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
Remember, this isn't a life and death situation. As long as she's showing other signs of development, what's the harm in just giving her time? The appointment is bound to be awkward for her.

On the other hand, if she's not developing in other ways, then there is more cause for concern.

If it's PCOS, treating it early can prevent unpleasant symptoms.

fulltimemommy

Post Sat, Feb 05 2022, 11:38 pm
I'm just here to say that I got my first period as a 15 (almost 16) year old. At this point I feel like it was a perk but then I was so nervous there was something wrong with me. I'd say to wait a year and see what happens.

careerwife

Post Sun, Feb 06 2022, 12:13 am
I got my period late too, either 15 or 16. We went to see my pediatrician and she was not concerned. I was a skinny and underdeveloped kid.

My doctor's comment was as a general rule of thumb at around 100 lbs is when child hits puberty.

amother
Lotus

Post Sun, Feb 06 2022, 12:49 am
Why don't you ask your DD if she wants to see endo already?

I got my first period when I was almost 16 and then didn't get another one for a while. I only saw an endo much later and it did turn out that I had some hormonal issues.

I spent so much time worrying about my future, and I was such a calmer person once we knew my issues, and that it could be corrected. I could've been spared so many sleepless nights if I'd seen an endocrinologist sooner, but I didn't feel like asking my mom to go...

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Feb 06 2022, 2:27 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Lots of women have that, completely normal, all the laser places offer taking off that stripe of hair.

Also completely normal to get your period at 16. Only then would I start to look into doctors. Even then, I know girls who got at 16.5 and 17 and are perfectly healthy. (as an aside, skinnier girls IME tend to get later, even if they are developed).
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children