Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Pregnant Public School therap. walking 4 flights 10-20 X day

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 1:27 am
Im a therapist for the NY Public School system, and my job entails walking up and down 5 flights, 10+ times day to get the children I need to see, out of their classrooms all over the large school. Thats what I do all day, every day: Have session w child, up and down the stairs, repeat.

There is no elevator in this school. There are absolutely no assistants to help with getting the children.

1- Because of a medical situation I was told by my Dr not to walk up and down that much for at least a week.

The only way around that is to call the teacher to tell the child to come to see me, but the teacher wouldnt be too happy to get phone calls and sometimes littl kids end up wandering the halls.

2- Throughout the pregnancy, how much stair climbing is considered too much during pregnancy? Is it different depending on which trimester?

How do others handle a job like this during pregnancy?

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 1:31 am
I think you need to have this discussion with your Doctor

Without knowing you in person or having medical experience all we can do is guess

That could possibly harm you

Bsha Tova

amother
Whitewash

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 1:32 am
Ask your doctor to write a letter stating how many steps you may climb a day, and bring that to your supervisor. When you have a written directive, your employer is bound to accommodate your disability if you are still able to do your job.

For example, maybe they can find you a room on a higher floor.

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 1:34 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
2- Throughout the pregnancy, how much stair climbing is considered too much during pregnancy? Is it different depending on which trimester?

In general, if you've been doing similar exercise throughout the pregnancy it is considered fine to continue.

In your case, it sounds like your doctor feels that this is too much for you, so knowing the typical advice is not going to help much.

I don't know what accommodations the school is obligated to provide for its workers, but it may be worth asking someone higher up in the school.

amother
Obsidian

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 2:29 pm
Had a similar situation and was honestly hoping to go into labor early cuz was due so close to yuntif and the steps made zero difference except I couldnt breathe half the day from climbing them.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 2:36 pm
I would get a note for doctor and then present it to the principal and supervisor. It could be that a reasonable accommodation would need to be made for you.

amother
Arcticblue

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 2:46 pm
I'm a speech therapist and I'm in my ninth month. I work in a massive school building (it's about 6 floors and 2 buildings that are connected)

As far #1, definitely get a note from your doctor and hopefully the school will find a way to accommodate you

As far as question #2, there isn't really an amount that is considered "too much." It's more about how active and in shape you are, even from before pregnancy. I don't find stairs to be an issue during pregnancy, but I am very in shape in general (I was running about 4-5 miles before pregnancy, and during pregnancy I take very long walks. Running is too painful now because of pelvic pressure/ligament pain). If you're not used to alot of physical activity, then it will be difficult for you, but not necessarily dangerous for the pregnancy (although in your specific situation it does seem like your doctor thinks could be dangerous for you, so you should be careful)

amother
Daphne

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 2:54 pm
Get specific guidelines from your doctor and then talk to your union. They should be able to do something about it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics