Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Healthy breakfast on school mornings (poll)
Previous  1  2

What type of breakfast does your kids eat
Healthy: full breakfast  
 22%  [ 34 ]
Cereal and milk  
 51%  [ 78 ]
Not healthy such as sugary cereals, snacks  
 6%  [ 10 ]
Nothing-no breakfast  
 9%  [ 15 ]
Other  
 9%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 152

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 6:23 pm
amother [ Daisy ] wrote:
Curious what you serve them or would like to serve them?

Gluten free Oatmeal with cinnamon, coconut sugar and blueberries
Kasha with honey
Paleo waffles with thawed frozen strawberries
Paleo blueberry pancakes
Gluten free French toast with fruit jam or maple syrup
Scrambled eggs
Açaí bowls with grain free granola
Avocado fruit smoothies
Grain free banana breakfast cookies
Paleo blueberry muffins
Homemade granola with almond milk
Coconut milk yogurt with sliced banana

I would like to try overnight oats and chia seed pudding

amother
Valerian

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 6:25 pm
My kid eat any of the following usually.
Whole wheat noodles (sauce no cheese)
Whole wheat orzo/couscous
Baked potato
Roasted Chickpeas in oven
Oatmeal
Eggs
Pancakes/waffles
Leftover soup from night before
Once in a while cereal. (almond milk or rice dream)
Grilled cheese or toasted roll
Sometimes I make smoothies for them

amother
Pansy

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 6:29 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
This would bother me too, but less. The girls especially in Lakewood have such short school days as it is.

In bp the school I work in serves supper (!!!) to first through third grade in addition to breakfast, lunch and snack. So the kids are getting dismissed at 3 30 instead of 4 and go straight from the lunchroom to their busses.

That’s crazy.

amother
Brickred

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 7:10 pm
my kids have toast w butter, farina or cold cereal (not sugary type), or pizza on matza. it's totally their choice. I wish they would agree to eat eggs or cottage cheese but they don't want to eat that at 8am.

amother
Steel

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 7:35 pm
I'm feeling so inadequate reading this read how do you all manage to make these breakfasts before school?? Im lucky if my kids eat half a bowl of cereal, any kind, or drink a bit of oj. Even on non school days would never occur to me to make most of these foods, the most adventurous I get is oatmeal. Very occasionally I make porridge, pancakes or French toast. But that would be more like brunch.

Did you guys grow up with these fancy breakfasts?

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 8:07 pm
amother [ Steel ] wrote:
I'm feeling so inadequate reading this read how do you all manage to make these breakfasts before school?? Im lucky if my kids eat half a bowl of cereal, any kind, or drink a bit of oj. Even on non school days would never occur to me to make most of these foods, the most adventurous I get is oatmeal. Very occasionally I make porridge, pancakes or French toast. But that would be more like brunch.

I don’t consider it fancy, just nutrient dense. I wish it could be simpler, like scrambled eggs and cucumbers, but I need to dress it up so my kids will actually eat it. I totally understand people whose lives are too hectic for this. It’s a big priority for me.

bsy

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 8:09 pm
Cereal and milk most days. Not sugar cereal. Cheerios or grape nut flakes etc. Sometimes with nuts on the side. One kids likes oatmeal.

Just One

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 8:30 pm
amother [ Steel ] wrote:

Don't feel bad. According to the poll 75% of parents serve cereal or less healthy. It's the 25% that are passionate about this that are posting more details. If I served this stuff for breakfast what would I give for dinner? Can't Believe It

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 9:02 pm
I give a healthy breakfast that’s not cereal:
Any of the following
Toast
Fruit
Cottage cheese
Yogurt
Grilled cheese or omelette but they rarely ask for that

In addition to cereal

stillnewlywed

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 9:52 pm
Creamcheese sandwich
Toast with butter
Scrambled eggs
Yogurt and cereal
Oatmeal and fruit

amother
Narcissus

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 3:32 pm
My dd is usually not hungry in the morning, but I send her to gan with a cut-up apple or some grapes, which I know she eats before "Aruchat Eser" - 10 o'clock sandwich time. That's when they serve sandwiches with cheese or 100% PB or tahini or hummus with cut-up veggies. (or bananas, aka in my dd's Israeli accent BANAnot)

IMO Israelis have really good meal scheduling...

amother
Dustypink

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 4:00 pm
amother [ Narcissus ] wrote:
My dd is usually not hungry in the morning, but I send her to gan with a cut-up apple or some grapes, which I know she eats before "Aruchat Eser" - 10 o'clock sandwich time. That's when they serve sandwiches with cheese or 100% PB or tahini or hummus with cut-up veggies. (or bananas, aka in my dd's Israeli accent BANAnot)

IMO Israelis have really good meal scheduling...

I agree! It was a great change for us when we moved to Israel to see that the schools expect kids to eat their main food in school when they (my kids at least) are actually hungry. There seems to be a realistic understanding that many kids don’t/can’t eat hearty breakfasts at home.

OOTforlife

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 5:29 pm
We always serve cereal, milk, and fruit. Cheese and yogurt are usually available on request. If a kid wants, they can eat dinner leftovers for breakfast, but that is not a frequent choice. Occasionally, we offer bagels with cream cheese, cheese, or tuna. Also sometimes hummus with pretzels or crackers.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 5:37 pm
Seafoam, do you work?

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 5:47 pm
amother [ DarkGreen ] wrote:
Seafoam, do you work?
Part time. I don’t do this to show off or anything.

misteray

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 6:17 pm
My kids prefer oatmeal more than cold cereal (Cheerios, Chex etc) but those are the only two things on my menu usually. For sure on school days. On vacation days, sometimes eggs.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries