Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Are you a Genius?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

Kiwi13

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 11:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I imagine a wide bridge. So he wouldn't be fearing for his life as he crosses. However he would need to be a pretty good juggler.

Also, the distance between the two sides is very great, so it's not like he could run back so fast. He probably doesn't want to leave the silver unattended for so long.

Wide bridge with a weight capacity of 180. Got it. Fire those bridge builders! They had ONE JOB and built a bridge that'll probably weigh ITSELF into the ravine at some point!

But moving on... how about using the sign post as a catapult? I don't reckon this dude for an experienced pole vaulter - but if he's got the coordination and know-how for juggling, he could use the pole to fling the suitcase to the other end of the bridge. Or maybe even just the suitcase and one ball inside, since that's lighter and should fling farther.

Or he can have a heart to heart with himself and ask himself what's more valuable? A silver ball or his ill-planned life? And must he travel this poorly constructed bridge in the first place? Where is he going that is soooo important. Seems this guy has some priority sorting to do. Could be a game-changing cheshbon hanefesh moment, if you ask me.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 11:30 pm
OK two more quick ones and then we'll call it a night. These are logic riddles:

1. Prove that the amount of people in the world who shook the hands of an odd number of people is an even number.

2. A woman brought her broken necklace into a jewelry store for repairs. The necklace has broken into 5 segments of 3 gold links each.

The jeweler examined the necklace and determined that as there were four spaces between the five segments, it was necessary to open four links and solder them closed on the adjacent links. The cost of opening and soldering a link was $10. So the total cost would amount to $40.

The lady said, "hmm, I know of a way you can repair this for only $30." She told the man her idea and he agreed.
What was the ladies suggestion?

And by the way, I'm still waiting for someone to solve the hotel riddle that I posted on the original thread.

amother
Clematis

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 11:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi. I'm Pansy from the other thread.

The thread got locked before I got a chance to post the answer for the suitcase riddle. (Why was it locked?)

So here it is:
MUM22 gave a great answer (you are on a roll!), and my answer is basically the same concept, just slightly different.

John puts a second lock (to which he has the key) onto the suitcase and passes the double locked suitcase over to Mike. Mike uses the key to open the first lock and remove it. Then he passes the (still locked) suitcase back to John who is now able to open the second lock with his key. Now he can open the case.

Hi Pansy,
By mistake I placed the link to the book "Greatness: Who Makes History and Why" under the wrong quote. It was not meant specifically for you, but you may enjoy / appreciate it Smile.

I feel bad for the OP from the other thread, but it does irk me when people use the term 'Genius' indiscriminately. Watching now the National Geographic series Genius about Albert Einstein (warning: some explicit material, as well as upsetting war times scenes, but otherwise well-made.)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 11:47 pm
amother [ Clematis ] wrote:
Hi Pansy,
By mistake I placed the link to the book "Greatness: Who Makes History and Why" under the wrong quote. It was not meant specifically for you, but you may enjoy / appreciate it Smile.

I feel bad for the OP from the other thread, but it does irk me when people use the term 'Genius' indiscriminately. Watching now the National Geographic series Genius about Albert Einstein (warning: some explicit material, as well as upsetting war times scenes, but otherwise well-made.)

Oh thanks! I figured it was a mistake.
I will check out this book, Bli neder, thank you!

I hear what you are saying about using the term geniuses indiscriminately. I do however think people use it as a figure of speech, so that might be a legitimate way to use it as well , in addition to the technical definition. No?

I'm not entirely sure what happened to the other OP, but I think she may have felt attacked. She possibly doesn't realize what it was about her posts that may have provoked others to attack her.

OP from the genius thread, you are welcome to join us here to continue the conversation.

DrMom

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 11:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

1. Prove that the amount of people in the world who shook the hands of an odd number of people is an even number.

2. A woman brought her broken necklace into a jewelry store for repairs. The necklace has broken into 5 segments of 3 gold links each.

The jeweler examined the necklace and determined that as there were four spaces between the five segments, it was necessary to open four links and solder them closed on the adjacent links. The cost of opening and soldering a link was $10. So the total cost would amount to $40.

The lady said, "hmm, I know of a way you can repair this for only $30." She told the man her idea and he agreed.

And by the way, I'm still waiting for someone to solve the hotel riddle that I posted on the original thread.

For #2: Just break apart all 3 links in one of the segments and use those to attach the remaining 4 segments together, looping each open link through 2 whole links at the end of each segment before closing it.

Last edited by DrMom on Tue, Oct 05 2021, 11:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 11:48 pm
DrMom wrote:
For #2: Just break apart all 3 links in one of the segments and use those to attach the remaining 4 segments together.

Correct!! Very Happy

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 11:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

1- it takes 2 people to shake hands

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 12:01 am
Kiwi13 wrote:
Wide bridge with a weight capacity of 180. Got it. Fire those bridge builders! They had ONE JOB and built a bridge that'll probably weigh ITSELF into the ravine at some point!

But moving on... how about using the sign post as a catapult? I don't reckon this dude for an experienced pole vaulter - but if he's got the coordination and know-how for juggling, he could use the pole to fling the suitcase to the other end of the bridge. Or maybe even just the suitcase and one ball inside, since that's lighter and should fling farther.

Or he can have a heart to heart with himself and ask himself what's more valuable? A silver ball or his ill-planned life? And must he travel this poorly constructed bridge in the first place? Where is he going that is soooo important. Seems this guy has some priority sorting to do. Could be a game-changing cheshbon hanefesh moment, if you ask me.

Love your humor!
If you think about it, all the situations in these riddles border on the ridiculous. Like the one with taking a pill by a certain time or he will die..know that one? Or the one about the suitcase...these riddles are all convoluted scenarios that would never happen in real life. But they are fun!

And to answer some of your questions, the silver balls were magical balls that had the ability to cure a certain genetic illness when melted. He was going to the other side because he lived there. He had traveled away to find these balls to find a cure for his 3 children who were born with this illness.

And he can't leave any balls behind because he needs the full 5 lbs for each child.

Simple really.

bbhem5

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 12:02 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

OK here's one of my favorite riddles. (If you knew it from before, don't answer.)

Three men went to a hotel. They split the cost of the room between them. The room costs $25 for the night.

They each give the receptionist at the desk $10. He said he will send them up the change with the bellhop.
He gives the bellhop 5 dollar bills. The bellhop goes to their room and gives them back 3 dollars (one for each man) and keeps two for himself, as a tip.

Now in the end, each guy paid $9. 9x3 is 27. The bellhop kept $2. Thats $29. They originally paid $30. So where is the last dollar?

1. If group A consists of an odd number of people who shook hands, group B consists of their counterparts, an identical odd number of people who shook hands with group A.
odd + odd =even

Hotel riddle: 9x3=27 The $27 is what each guy paid, which consists of the price of the room + the bellhop's tip, so it's 25+2 which =27, so they're left with $3.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 12:03 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
1- it takes 2 people to shake hands

Correct. Every odd number multiplied by an even number (of handshakes) must be even.

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 12:09 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Love your humor!
If you think about it, all the situations in these riddles border on the ridiculous. Like the one with taking a pill by a certain time or he will die..know that one? Or the one about the suitcase...these riddles are all convoluted scenarios that would never happen in real life. But they are fun!

And to answer some of your questions, the silver balls were magical balls that had the ability to cure a certain genetic illness when melted. He was going to the other side because he lived there. He had traveled away to find these balls to find a cure for his 3 children who were born with this illness.

And he can't leave any balls behind because he needs the full 5 lbs for each child.

Simple really.

Ohhhhh, I see. My sincerest apologies to Bill then. He's an upstanding member of society. And humble too, claiming to just be a "traveler."

Or maybe he did that not to call attention to his mission.

In any case, this is overloading my non-genius brain and I need to sleep on it. Refuah shelayma to Bill's fictional children. May the magic silver orbs of genetic cure heal all who sip its metally goodness.

Layla tov!

nicole81

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 12:11 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Correct. Every odd number multiplied by an even number (of handshakes) must be even.

What you're saying is mathematically correct, but in the context of the problem, we're not multiplying by any even number, it's literally just by 2. By definition, two times a number is even.

amother
Viola

bbhem5 wrote:
OK here's one of my favorite riddles. (If you knew it from before, don't answer.)

Three men went to a hotel. They split the cost of the room between them. The room costs $25 for the night.

They each give the receptionist at the desk $10. He said he will send them up the change with the bellhop.
He gives the bellhop 5 dollar bills. The bellhop goes to their room and gives them back 3 dollars (one for each man) and keeps two for himself, as a tip.

Now in the end, each guy paid $9. 9x3 is 27. The bellhop kept $2. Thats $29. They originally paid $30. So where is the last dollar?

1. If group A consists of an odd number of people who shook hands, group B consists of their counterparts, an identical odd number of people who shook hands with group A.
odd + odd =even

Hotel riddle: 9x3=27 The $27 is what each guy paid, which consists of the price of the room + the bellhop's tip, so it's 25+2 which =27, so they're left with $3.

They paid $28 plus $2.
(Or $30 minus $3)

Last edited by amother on Mon, Dec 20 2021, 12:11 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother
Magnolia

Kiwi13 wrote:
Ohhhhh, I see. My sincerest apologies to Bill then. He's an upstanding member of society. And humble too, claiming to just be a "traveler."

Or maybe he did that not to call attention to his mission.

In any case, this is overloading my non-genius brain and I need to sleep on it. Refuah shelayma to Bill's fictional children. May the magic silver orbs of genetic cure heal all who sip its metally goodness.

Layla tov!

Can we spin the story further? Those who spin the story best, get a cure to whatever genetic ailment they’re dealing with.

Kiwi13

amother [ OP ] wrote:
What are the reasons that's geniuses like them?

Geniuses like cracking the code. Cool

I like forging my own. Tongue Out

amother
Viola

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 12:15 am
Not mathematical.
A. What kind of driver does not drive a vehicle?
B. When do you keep going at red and stop at Green?

Last edited by amother on Mon, Dec 20 2021, 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

DrMom

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 12:17 am
Kiwi13 wrote:
Why is he okay juggling balls on a rickety bridge over a ravine when he couldn't bear to leave them to the side for one freaking second and run back for them? I call plot hole. lol

I can't disagree with this.

I think I would bury the any balls I am not carrying so nobody steals them while I ferry one ball at a time across the bridge.

Or diet so I lose 10 lbs so I can carry all 3 together. Am I under any sort of time pressure to get these silver balls across?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 12:18 am
nicole81 wrote:
What you're saying is mathematically correct, but in the context of the problem, we're not multiplying by any even number, it's literally just by 2. By definition, two times a number is even.

Yes what I meant to say was just adding onto what the poster said, that every handshake is 2 people. So even if there were an odd number of handshakes, it would still be an even number of people. And yes, in this example it's always 2.

DrMom

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 12:19 am
SafeAtLast wrote:
Not mathematical.
A. What kind of driver does not drive a vehicle?
B. When do you keep going at red and stop at Green?

A. A screwdriver? A pile driver? (Am I correct in assuming this is more of a pun than a puzzle?)

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 12:21 am
SafeAtLast wrote:
They paid $28 plus $2.
(Or $30 minus $3)

How did they pay $28?
Each man started out by giving $10, but received $1 back. So in the end they each paid 9. 9x3 is 27.

The bellhop kept 2. So where is the last dollar??
Page 2 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics