Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Brooklyn housing cost, see specifics please

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 9:11 am
I know there will be a wide range but I am interested in any information about what this range is.

We would need to be somewhere between Kensington and Midwood or parts of Flatbush that are closer to Kensington. We are the wrong culture for Boro Park and need to commute in a direction that would be too far if we go deeper into or past Flatbush.

We need 5 bedrooms but some of them could be small or a finished basement or the like. That's why I'm not just searching Zillow, because I find that if you search by number of bedrooms it doesn't include bedrooms that were carved out of a finished basement (for example a house will be classified as 3 bedrooms but if you read the whole description it turns out there are 2 more rooms and an office in the basement.)

If we would buy then we would ideally want a 2-family house so we could rent one unit and offset the mortgage. Renting instead of buying is also a possibility.

If you know anything about the price range for buying OR renting a house of this size in that area of Brooklyn, please share your knowledge.

TIA

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 9:28 am
Also curious if anyone from that area commutes to the five towns. The objective is to have different people commute in different directions and it looks like Midwood falls in middle.

amother
Marigold

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 9:54 am
People from Brooklyn definitely commute to the five towns but it is a backward commute. Most people do the opposite commute. I moved from Brooklyn to the five towns three years ago. I know a few people - all of whom it work in schools here - that commute from Brooklyn to the five towns. Many, many people here in the five towns commute to Brooklyn every day.

The area of midwood that is close to Boro Park is pretty expensive. A typical small around 1500 sqft house row house that has three bedrooms upstairs and the possibility of making two more in the basement will go for at least 800k and may even need work. A two family house will be at least 1.5. If you go further away from Boro Park which just happens to be in the direction of the five towns to either Marine Park or if you want a more right wing crowd, the area of L and the thirties the same house will be at least 100k cheaper.

If one of you are anyways commuting to the five towns why don't you just buy here. Housing is not significantly less but you are getting much much more for your money. Plenty of high school kids here go to school in Brooklyn if that is a concern for you.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 9:58 am
Why not stay in five towns = excellent job offer in the opposite direction that would be up to a 2 hour commute from 5t and more like 45 min from Brooklyn. So thinking of sending everyone on a 45 min commute rather than have one parent literally never home

amother
Blueberry

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 10:29 am
In Kensington small house that need loads of work are going for over $1 million.
It has become an extension of boro park.
In addition parking is insane. Don't even consider a house without a driveway unless you want to spend 45 minutes each time you need to park

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 10:39 am
I live in Kensington. A small attached house that needs work is minimum 900k. 2 family semi-attached are 1.6 and up depending on the condition. Driveway is a must. Parking is insane. Many people park and use the F Train and their cars stay parked for days at a time.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 10:54 am
How about rentals, midwood/flatbush?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating