Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Hoarding

amother

Post Tue, Mar 25 2008, 1:46 pm
do you think this is a disease or an excuse ? why do people hoard ? can one get past this mess and ever become uncluttered ?

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Mar 25 2008, 1:52 pm
I think so. Buthey they have to want it.

Clarissa

Post Tue, Mar 25 2008, 6:12 pm
Excessive hoarding can be a sign of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. In these cases, it's not just someone who's sloppy or doesn't like parting with possessions. Some people actually have major anxiety associated with discarding things. It can help if they get behavioral therapy, or anti-anxiety drugs like Prozac or Zoloft, given in combination with therapy. I know of a woman who has it so bad she's unable to live a normal life, but that's an extreme example.

red sea

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 6:14 am
I agree with Clarrissa, Excessive hoarding may need psychological treatment to treat the cause of the behavior.

justanothermother

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 6:19 am
The trouble is getting the hoarder to admit there is a problem.

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 6:22 am
Lots of hoarders know they have a problem, but it's such a big problem, they don't know where to start. Also, it's hard to let go of stuff...

flowerpower

Post Thu, Mar 27 2008, 8:46 am
its a nature. I know people that cant let go of stuff, I dont think its a disease unless it really gets out of control. they have to teach themselves how to part with stuff they wont ever use again and dont need. I am the total opposite

louche

Post Thu, Mar 27 2008, 12:59 pm
The difference between a negative trait that is normal and a certfiable illness is degree. This is true fr both physical and mental disorders. It becomes an illness when it interferes with a person's ability to function. So, if I hoard twine and brown paper bags in a single carton in my closet, that may not be useful but it's not abnormal. OTOH if my hoard of paper and twine covers every horizontal surface in the house, such that I can't find my mail, wallet, and pet guinea pig, that's an illness.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics